Vote and save my sanity.

Select the best tactical/all purpose LED of these:

• L1 (1 bat, tight beam, dual output)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • L4 (2 bat, flood, clickie)

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • E2L (2 bat, tight beam, low output, clickie)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • U2 (2 bat, adjustable, bad clickie)

Votes: 21 35.6%

• Total voters

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened
There you have it... the L4, the U2, or should I wait for the next round of LEDs with higher output and strike bezels?

Seems like both have their advantages.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: L4, U2... next gen LED?

You can modify an L4 with a strike bezel from an E2D. It's a bit involved, and requires boiling or heating the head of the L4 and E2D to swap the bezel. Or you can ask someone here to do it for a fee.

Personally, I wouldn't wait for Surefire to put K2's in their LED lights... who knows how long you'd have to wait? I am still a big fan of tried and true technology like incandescents, though.

Luna

Enlightened

I see LEDs like CPUs at this point. You will always have a better one around the corner. The L4 and U2 work perfectly for the tasks that they are designed for. As the emitters get better, the lights will be brighter and we OCDers will have to have one. They won't do the job much better though for a while! When single LED approach the M6 in output, then I say we will be in a new LED world. After that, HID levels are the next big step.

magic79

Enlightened

The L4 is a great light...for a single stage. Wonderfully bright flood. It lights up an entire room, not just a portion.

Personally, I think the U2 is a huge step backwards for Surefire in terms of quality (lack thereof). It's really stunning how many problems have been identified on CPF for a nearly $300 light. I had one with a donut problem. Inexcuseable in my mind. You shoud never have to return this level of light except in very, very rare occasions instead of it being common.

Hopefully, the next step for Surefire will be in the quality department.

helios

Newly Enlightened

Don't know about the L4 but I could never recommend a U2 to anyone. Mine has a visible and irritating donut, a lovely green tint and the clickie died the second day out of the box. Oh, I almost forgot about the little circus of lint and dust thats been sealed inside the reflector area. I count my blessings everytime I turn it on and the clickie works. Its so bad now (3rd clickie in three months) that I just leave it on and unscrew the tailcap to turn it on and off. Just my opinion though. Good luck with either purchase!

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened

Is there a particular reason that the L4 has a 100 lumen rating but the KL4 conversion head only gets 65?

warpdrive

Enlightened

As far as your question......

I love my L4 (once Surefire replaced both the bezel and tailcap as they were defective), and I thought seriously hard about getting the U2, but I was scared away given that even my new L4 had problems, and the U2 seems to have a LOT more problems....not worth the risk for a $200+ flashlight.

If you need a light now, there is no sense waiting......the technology behind the L4 is well known. It works as desrcribed....a very bright flood light in a compact pocketable size. You can always try to find a two stage tailcap to enhance it if you find you need more runtime or close range use.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm waiting for Surefire to start using K2s. I personally don't like spot beams or pure floods and that's all SF currently offers. I like reflector-based beams with a bright hotspot for good throw but usable spill light. Since they don't overdrive any of the LEDs, they can't get enough output from their Lux3s so use optics to increase throw and Lux5s can't throw. The K2s should provide the output of the Lux5s with the possibility for more throw so hopefully SF will make K2-based lights with reflectors.

cy

Flashaholic
you can't go wrong with U2 or L4 with two stage mod.

please note U2's clicky problem is a recent development and is easily fixed by surefire sending out another clicky.

best is still to purchase used in mint condition. you get to ask U2 clicky condition and tint.

it's been my experience, if you have a U2 without problems they stay that way. further if you have a U2 with clicky issues, they stay that way until you replace the defective clicky.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
L4

I've got an L4, and it's a good light if you like wide open flood lights. It's got no throw, however. It's continually embarrasing to have someone with a cheapie LED light shine a spot to a wall across a large room and I can't even do it with the L4.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: L4

I'm a bit confused. Your poll says tactical/all purpose light. Those are two completely different categories of use. In my mind, only the L4 is close to a tactical light from the list you posted. I consider something in the C or M series "tactical" (or the Z2), but I digress. The rest are utility lights (because of their multiple levels - especially the U2).

In any case, the U2 kicks A. The L4 with two-stage switch comes in second. I absolutely love the size and versatility of my L1. ... that didn't help did it? :nana:

magic79

Enlightened
GreenLED makes a good point about the purpose. However, I would suggest that there IS a light that is both tactical and multi-purpose: The L2.

It is certainly tactical with the momentary plus twist on. Plus it fits the bill for multi-purpose by having two levels of light output.

It's quite a bit smaller than the U2, considerably more reliable, roughly half the price, and on high, the same bright flood as the L4, but perhaps a little brighter. The low level is just right for most of the use I put it to.

nc987

Enlightened
Cant decide between my U2 and E2L. E2L is much more portable but the U2 works perfectly in almost every situation. Yeah its got a slight donut, but unless im shining it on a whitewall its not visible so I dont care.

I use the E2L more just because of its size.

Luna

Enlightened
Tactical definitions?

The two I see in this regard are
--planning and manuvering
--diversionary

For this, I don't see a single level light trumping a multilevel.

You certainlny don't want to blast your eyes(or give up your position) with an M6 when needing just enough light to make sure you have good footing. Likewise, when a perp needs to be surprised, you don't want a light that has him howling as if you were holding up a lighter at a Journey concert.

If you are considering a weapon light as being the same as a tac light, then yes a single level is it (until a multilevel pressure switch is out :) )

L2 or U2 for this situation

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened
Re: L4

greenLED said:
I'm a bit confused. Your poll says tactical/all purpose light. Those are two completely different categories of use. In my mind, only the L4 is close to a tactical light from the list you posted. I consider something in the C or M series "tactical" (or the Z2), but I digress. The rest are utility lights (because of their multiple levels - especially the U2).

In any case, the U2 kicks A. The L4 with two-stage switch comes in second. I absolutely love the size and versatility of my L1. ... that didn't help did it? :nana:

You're right, greenled...

What I mean, is that I would like very much to be able to carry one light that can totally obliterate someones vision close range, and yet be usable in casual situations too. I hardly need to engage a foe from afar or pin down an entire unit or something. Just when I need it, its nice to know that I would have an EDC with some gusto... and an LED instead of a incandesent.

Oh, and PS the only thing stopping me from hitting order for an L4 is the beam spread/throw... the E2L appears to have a more finely focused beam.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Can't decide between the L4 and E2L? Buy both!

... or rather, just buy an L4 and a KL1 head. That way you can have a wide beam with lots of light, and a tight beam with long runtime. (An L4 with a KL1 is exactly the same as an E2L.)

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Can't decide between the L4 and E2L? Buy both!

... or rather, just buy an L4 and a KL1 head. That way you can have a wide beam with lots of light, and a tight beam with long runtime. (An L4 with a KL1 is exactly the same as an E2L.)

Carrot, I think you've got it.

carrot

Flashaholic
logarithmic said:
Carrot, I think you've got it.
:D

You might want to pick up an F04 beamshaper to go with the KL1 head, too. Most people have said the KL1 is much more useful when you've got an F04 to go with it.

Of course, don't think you can end here with just one light... ;) these things are freakin' addictive!