Possible change to the E2L? Plus, my story about Surefire service.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
The story goes like this:
I use my E2L for what seems like half the work day, I always have it in my hand or mouth (ewww). I don't think it's possible to find a better light for $95, it's the best money I ever spent. However, I've dropped it from anywhere between waist level and 12 feet high while working on ladders, platforms, or lifts. It probably hit the concrete slab 25 times, the bezel surely showed scars from this.

After so many falls there was a period when the light only worked intermittently, I would have to loosen the head then retighten it in order to get it to turn on. I took it apart and cleaned everything and put a new layer of grease on the threads, it worked solid after that so I figured maybe it was the lack of grease that was causing the problem.

A month later the light took another hit to the ground (only this time in a drunken rage), after this it didn't work at all. I finally found the problem, the center contact in the head had pushed up, breaking the plastic around it. This was apparently from the batteries hitting it during a fall, since it always hits the ground head first. Apparently my idea about the grease causing the problem was wrong, that must have been when the contact was working it's way loose, which is why it would work after I turned the head.

So I call Surefire, I explain that the contact is broke because I dropped it so many times, I was told to send it in. I asked how much it would cost, he said it would be free but I would be without it for at least 3 weeks. I explained that the problem was caused by my abuse, that the bezel had scratches and damage from falling, he said it was ok and to just sent it in.

Instead of 3 weeks, I got a package from Surefire a week and a half later. Inside of the box was a sealed bag with an E2L inside of it. The body was still mine, but it was much cleaner and the threads were cleaned and relubed. The KL1 head was new, brand spankin new. How's that for a warranty? Use your light hard, do what you gotta do, if it breaks for any reason get it fixed or replaced. Now you can't always count on them replacing a light that you abused, I wouldn't expect it. However Surefire definitely showed their true colors, a level of service that you see less and less of everyday.

Now on to the main question, the contact. When I took the head off my newly replaced light the first thing I noticed was the contact looked bigger and slightly different in design than the contact that broke in my old head. So now I am left wondering if Surefire could have changed the design due to other contacts breaking?

I bought my E2L a month after it came out. If anyone has an E2L (or new generation KL1) from around back then, can you compare your contact to the picture below of the new contact? Is it the same? Or is the picture below slightly different?

taojsw.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the story. SF is always changing and improving designs. My KL1 head is numbered 26500 and appears to have the same contact design as the one pictured. :)

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Slightly off topic, but is there a rechargeable solution for E2L (KL1) lights? I have been wanting to get one, but wasn't sure if it could handle a Pila 600S (and the Pila IBC charger I am considering).

I really want to wean myself from SureFires, but stories like this reinforce my evil addiction with these small pieces of metal that light up.

Last edited:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
whorton5 said:
Slightly off topic, but is there a rechargeable solution for E2L (KL1) lights? I have been wanting to get one, but wasn't sure if it could handle a Pila 600S (and the Pila IBC charger I am considering).
Here's a thread I made a while ago with some good info that might answer your question.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108673
Since I found sources with inexpensive 123's, I decided against the rechargeable route myself.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an idea for protecting your light, get a rubber furniture leg cover/bumper of the same diameter as your bezel. Cut out the middle, shorten as needed and slip it over the bezel. Voila, instant shock isolation on the cheap.

-LT

Protaeus

Enlightened
Its good to see a good surefire service report to balance out the bad ones that appear.... :)

As for you head, my E2L looks identical to that, including the black permanent marker :)

carrot

Flashaholic
It's good to know that Surefire is always trying to improve upon their designs to make them more robust. Testimonials such as this make me confident that Surefire is by no means resting on its laurels.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to hear that Surefire took care of you the way that they did. This does show that they stand behind their products even when they might not have to.

In my opinion, they are the finest of the non-custom light builders.

-Goatee

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Wireman,

Often times the negative Customer Service stories are the ones that get the most air time.

As such I was very pleased to read your story. In the past I too have had great Service from SureFire. It is one of the reasons I feel so confident in buying their Lights and suggesting it for others.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your Light.

All My Best,
John

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.. I am impressed with your honesty (telling them what really happened to the light) as well as their commitment to helping you resolve the issue.

Let's not read too much into SF's KL1 head replacement as an admission of guilt. Good enough that they replaced it, even better that they're making continuous improvements - perhaps they found a way to prevent it from happening again. This only benefits all of us further down the line.

BTW - don't over-grease it, too much is probably just as bad as too little. You just want enough grease that it provides a very thin film on the O-rings. Grease does not affect electrical conductivity at all.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
KevinL said:
Wow.. I am impressed with your honesty (telling them what really happened to the light) as well as their commitment to helping you resolve the issue.
I had no choice, they would have seen the scratches on the bezel when they received it. I didn't want to mail it in for $7, then find out I was going to be charged $75 plus return shipping by them, when I could buy the whole light new for $20 more.

nc987

Enlightened
The E2L is indeed a great light. Got mine for 53 bucks brand new and of all my Surefires it gets the most use.

Enjoyed your story very much, It was good to see that the turnaround for your light was very quick and that they went above and beyond what most other companies would ever do.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
nc987 said:
The E2L is indeed a great light. Got mine for 53 bucks brand new and of all my Surefires it gets the most use.

Enjoyed your story very much, It was good to see that the turnaround for your light was very quick and that they went above and beyond what most other companies would ever do.
Where'd you find it for so cheap?? :whistle:

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I am going to give this a 1 month bump just to see if anyone else noticed a difference between the contact in the picture above and their own new gen KL1 head.

If not, maybe it was just from the abuse? You can't expect anything to take that many falls onto concrete from those heights.