Have you seen electric sheep?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I downloaded this screen saver today (Electric Sheep) and it is pretty cool. It uses distributed computing like the SETI project to create beautiful images that evolve thru a type of virtual life.

I was at a party and met the creator Spot; he was showing off his product, "Dreams in high fidelity", a dual processor linux box that runs the program in HD- it was insane! The swirling colors morph into other patterns in a fluid motion. Very cool. Way more advanced than other visualization programs like in itunes or even the electric sheep screensaver itself.

Unfortunately it uses a lot of hard disk space and cpu power. And it doesn't react to music or external stimulus, it just flows and changes. I say check it out and be impressed!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this on for a while and have some cool animations. It's not the usual fractal stuff...

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you were posting about the movie made from the Philip K. **** novel - do andriods dream of electric sheep.

one of my favorite sci fi movies.

blade runner

Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty - pure evil.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Hey Folks,

Here's an interesting website that functions on the same vein as SETI@Home, but creating and morphing fractal curves instead of searching for extraterrestrial intelligence. The results of the system are rather spectacular and make for an intriguing screen saver. I figured some folks here might be interested in it - the sheep that have loaded on my machine have been quite nice so far.

http://www.electricsheep.org/

It will take some time to download the first sheep, so be patient. It's best to let the software run over night and accumulate a few sheep. The website has more details and a history - check it out. :)

-Enrique

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman,

Go ahead and try it, doesn't hurt. I'm running is on a 1.6GHz Centrino machine just fine. They are just movie files, after all.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd add this video to the thread. It is a lecture by the creator Scott Draves. If you dig mathematical visualization lectures check this out. It's not a psychedleic show; it's an explanation of the theory and concepts behind the program.