Rechargeable 123 OK in Dorcy 1x123 1W?

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I picked up a Dorcy Super 1W CR123, from the store yesterday for $19.99. I would say it's very impressive. I have several LED lights that I like including some 3W MXDLs. The Dorcy light approaches the brightness and throw of the MXDLs, and is smaller and lighter. So far, I really like it. Would a rechargeable 123 work in this light without any problems? I have a Juice battery and charger, and the battery is a 3.6V.

The Dorcy uses a high dome Lambertian Luxeon I star, I think. The bin is:
QWOJY.....or something like that..damnit......I already forgot what it was, exactly. I know for sure it starts with a "Q".

I won't burn up the LED or the board, will I?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using rechargeable protected RCR123's in my Dorcy CR123. No problems yet. I have been using the light daily at work for about 1.5 months.

I only paid $25.00 for the light so if I burn it out it's no great loss.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would proceed with caution.

It may well "work" - but for how long?

Grossly overdriving a 1watt Luxeon might not be such a good thing - it definitely shortens the life of the LED - however halving the life from 100,000 to 50,000 hours is still acceptable - but to a few hours or sudden death is not (to me).

The safer way is to measure the current draw - and see how much it exceeds the absolute maximum ratings - then form your own opinion.......

For example I used a 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 in one of my favorite LuxI lights - S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123 - please see this thread Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger -

RCR123 (750mAh)
initial voltage = 4.07V
end of test = 3.97V

Panasonic CR123 (non-rechargeable Li) = 2.97V

S1801 on RCR = 740mA
S1801 on CR = 470mA

Then read Post #2 from NikolaTesla
The Dorcy Super 1watt CR123 may well behave differently -
but from the report from Randy Shackleford of "hotter and brighter" - I suspect the LuxI is driven to almost 3watt levels ......
but measure to be sure.

Triangle-66

Newly Enlightened
I have been running the unproteceted RCR123 in my Dorcy for about 4-5 months and it is the perfect combination. I still have the unused Lithium 123 that came with the light.

I measured the voltage at the LED and it was slightly higher with the RCR ( I don't remember the figures , it has been a while) but not enough to concern me. The RCR charged Dorcy is somewhat brighter than with the 123 and is the perfect brightness for everyday dog walking, etc.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
This light can vary in bin numbers if that matters as I have seen QW0J, QX1J, QY0J, RV1K, RV1J, RY0H, RW0H, RW0J being mentioned for this light.

I have two of these lights, the pewter one has a nice whitish tint at RW0J, while the limited run black version I acquired a while ago came with a yellowish QX1J.

Maybe I will try a RCR123 with the nice RW0J I have in future though I do not really want to risk smoking it at moment.

You can overcome that by adding a diode in series with the battery if you can get to it and there's enough room.

Diode drops 0.4-0.6v. If you can't find a diode by itself locally, find a wall wart you are not using anymore and smash it open to get two diodes.