A positive security experience with my lights?!?

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Yeah there's more than a few negative stories about TSA and other security/safety officers, and I know all of us would be happy enough just to get by security without any hassles, but this was actually a positive encounter.

So last night I'm helping a friend do the lighting and sound at a local college event. After setting up the equipment and doing a run through of the show, everyone had to leave to auditorium and pass through security. So I empty my pockets of all metallic objects (I had my Inova X5 & X1 on me). One of the security guards starts examining my X5, and asks, "What is this?". But the funny thing was he didn't come off as sounding suspicious or accusatory, just inquisitive. So I tell him, its a flashlight. At this point he put down the X5 and was fawning over the X1. Then he asks me to turn it on for him, and I demonstrate the momentary and constant on features. You could just see the wonder in his face, like a kid in a candy shop. And when I said that you can get both of these lights at Target, man I thought his jaw was gonna hit the floor.

It was great, no stupid or accusatory questions or statements, just genuine interest in flashlights. For the rest of the night after the show, another friend of mine, who was also helping out that night, kept telling me, "Dude, you gave that security guard an orgasm. He loved your lights."
lolsign.gif

A little side note, I had my SF E2d Defender with me as well. But not wanting to take any chances, I hid it in bag of microphones we brought to the event, before leaving the auditorium for security checks. A new flashlaholic in the making? I hope so. Just wanted to share my little story.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting experience here FIW!

I had one while going through the security check point at the Traffic Court with the Sheriff's Deputies a couple of months ago. They all huddled together to check out the my SureFire M2 and kept saying "that's the one!, that's the one!" and "now THIS IS a Flashlight!" Then they saw my 3[M]iniMag and modified MiniMaglite which they were looking over in wonderment and asking questions. One deputy kept going back to the 3[M]iniMag while all (3) lights were being passed among themselves.

No suspicions from this experience.

Enjoy!