Weird question about disposing of ashes in a public place

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've been the family member assigned to dispose of my creamated Mom's ashes into the Maine Ocean which she dearly loved. But my sister thinks it's against the law to dispose of ashes in a public place. Do you think someone would give me a hard time for throwing ashes into the ocean?

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the law in your area... Call the person that helped with her remains.

In California, generally it is legal on any private property (with permission) or in the ocean something like a few hundred yards off-shore.

You can probably find a local fix based operator (light aircraft instruction or rental) who will take them out to sea, if you wish. Otherwise, you can charter a boat or simply take them out yourself and do it discretely.

Best wishes,
-Bill

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt it -- but I also wouldn't ask for official permission. You may consider doing at an odd time, like sunrise, if you're worried about trouble.

I'm sorry about your loss.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A medallion may have been placed with the ashes. If someone finds it, they can trace it back to you and fine you.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
For California:
  • Scattering in areas of the state where no local prohibition exists and with written permission of the property owner or governing agency. The cremated remains must be removed from the container and scattered in a manner so they are not distinguishable to the public
  • Scattering in a cemetery scattering garden; or
  • Scattering at sea, at least 500 yards from shore (this also includes inland navigable waters, except for lakes and streams)
This is from a National Park Service rule (PDF) for a couple of parks in Maine:

36 CFR §2.62 – MEMORIALIZATION
(b) A permit is required for the scattering of ashes from cremated human remains. The scattering
of human ashes from cremation is allowed pursuant to the terms and conditions of a permit as
outlined below:
•The remains to be scattered must have been cremated and pulverized
•The ashes must not contain recognizable pieces of bone or teeth
•The ashes must not be scattered within developed areas
•The scattering of remains by persons on the ground is to be performed at least 100 yards from any trail, road, developed facility, known archeological and historic sites, or inland body of water
•The scattering of remains from the air is to be performed at a minimum altitude of 2000 feet above the ground

Determination: The conditions outlined above reduce the chances of creating offensive conditions by the
scattering of human ashes.

One thing to remember is that the remains are almost like the remains from the charcol in a BBQ--the are fine/dusty and some will blow around and float on the water. Some folks may choose a simple concrete urn for burial at sea.

-Bill

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother in laws cremation requests was to have his ashes spread on the waters of his favorite fishing lakes by his son and they were followed w/o getting any govt. agencies involved.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Somebody got into big trouble here in Seattle a few years ago when ashes of a loved one were dumped over Safeco Field from a small aircraft; depositing ashes in a more remote location would have been more appropriate here. :green:

And back in the early-1990s, I had a friend who wanted his ashes turned into a toliet and then installed in the bathroom of a specific type of bar. I don't think that plan would have gone over very well at all. :sick2:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've heard, many many people have had their ashes spread on Wrigley field in Chicago. People used to just lean out over the outfield bleachers and distribute the ashes on the warning track. I guess it's actively discouraged now, though.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The people who got in trouble for dumping ashes over Safeco Field (the home of the Seattle Mariners baseball team) in Seattle got in trouble because some people in high places thought a terrorist act was taking place - that some terrorists were carrying out a biochemical attack. They had no idea whatsoever that it was human ashes, not anthrax or some chemical agent.

Aristo

Newly Enlightened
my aunt is a keeping us from being able to scatter both my grandparents remains at the chattahoochie river. But if/when the time comes, we are just going to probebly scatter by charter aircraft over the river, or my brother will kayak down to a remote spot. It's illegal.

why is it illegal is what I want to know? doesn't that just put things back where they belong? The natural order and all that jazz.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well did some research and made a couple of phone calls and there are no laws against disposing ashes in the Maine Ocean. In fact one woman said she sees it done all the time. So I guess tomorrow I will go up and give it a try. I feel quite sad. I wish I could keep my Mom's ashes in my bedroom for awhile longer but my father evidently will not find closure until he finds the ashes have been disposed of.

Aristo

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
Well did some research and made a couple of phone calls and there are no laws against disposing ashes in the Maine Ocean. In fact one woman said she sees it done all the time. So I guess tomorrow I will go up and give it a try. I feel quite sad. I wish I could keep my Mom's ashes in my bedroom for awhile longer but my father evidently will not find closure until he finds the ashes have been disposed of.
all I can say is I hope you find closure also gee. The mourning process is different for us all.

colubrid

Enlightened
Heck there are to many laws in place and we are here for such a short time anyway.

Personally I don't see how any "human" can give you a ticket for scattering your moms ashes at sea.

colubrid

Enlightened
Aristo said:
my aunt is a keeping us from being able to scatter both my grandparents remains at the chattahoochie river. But if/when the time comes, we are just going to probebly scatter by charter aircraft over the river, or my brother will kayak down to a remote spot. It's illegal.

why is it illegal is what I want to know? doesn't that just put things back where they belong? The natural order and all that jazz.

Yes it is the natural order.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ma is now in the ocean off of Nubble Point in York, Maine. There is a light house at the end of the point which I guess is very old and popular but also today fairly crowded, so I just walked from the beach end down the point aways and did my thing.

I have learned a lesson from this at that is to specify very clearly in your will about how you wish for your remains to be disposed of. Ma made it clear she wanted to be cremated but only spoke word of mouth about where she wanted her ashes disposed of and hence bickering and mis-communication ensued which ended in a situation where not everybody was going to be pleased.

Aristo

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
I have learned a lesson from this at that is to specify very clearly in your will about how you wish for your remains to be disposed of. Ma made it clear she wanted to be cremated but only spoke word of mouth about where she wanted her ashes disposed of and hence bickering and mis-communication ensued which ended in a situation where not everybody was going to be pleased.
this happened with my grandparents too, it's no good