StreamLight Luxeon: Which one?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have StreamLight Luxeon Jr. (2AA) and I love it, it's the best light to carry with you. Only down side is, it eats batteries rather fast.

I also have StreamLight Twin Task (3AA). It seems to last longer, in case you need that over brightness. I find no use for the bulb that it has.

I also have StreamLight Twin Task (2D). It's neat and pretty bright

Now I want to get another Luxeon and am trying to decide between Task Light (3AA) and that 4AA propolymer LUXEON light. The reviews on that forum are pretty good of the latter one but what advantages does it have over the Task Light?

One thing that's confusing me, is after reading ledmuseum.org, they claim that the Luxeon Jr. " Measures 430,000mcd on a Meterman LM631 light meter." while the 4AA ProPolymer measures 87,000mcd. Is that a typo, and did he mean 870,000mcd?

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the Lux.Jr. work on rechargeables?

From reviews, it seems that the TL-2 LED is one of their best models. Also the Scorpion incandescent is pretty good and less expensive.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems ProPolymer has good throw, which I like, and more power, but problems with the switch.

I think I am gonna get the Task Light with Luxeon. I really like it's tough aluminum body. Seems like it would last for far longer than plastic.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Streamlight 2L 3W Luxeon flashlight!!!!!!! It has been one of my best and most reliable flashlights I have owned. It takes rechargeable batteries(I run with both 3.6v & 3.0v RCR123 batteries) which saves money!!!!
It has 2 level brightness and good throw, and the batteries last pretty long.
bjn70 said:
Will the Lux.Jr. work on rechargeables?

From reviews, it seems that the TL-2 LED is one of their best models. Also the Scorpion incandescent is pretty good and less expensive.

Get the 4AA Luxeon. I have it and I already dropped six or so feet onto the cement a few times while turned on and its just fine. If you manage to break it, they will replace it short of catastrophic damage such as accidentally dropping it in a wood chipper.

A set of Energizer 2.5Ah batteries will give you five hours and a set of standard alkalines will get you about three.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have one of the older luxeon Jr. lights and it works fine with nimh.
I prefer to use nimh in most of my regularly used lights due to the savings and
put alkaline or lithiums in lights I keep for backup use.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the StreamLight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon, and it sure is a well made light with a very good throw and decent enough spill. Although some would contend that it could use more spill. Have enjoyed using mine thus far and to date there's no issues I've experienced with it. Don't know about the switch problems you alluded to, and while the plastic body may appear to be "cheap"—"cheap" it is not!

Enjoy!

mdocod

Flashaholic
The 4AA propoly is regulated, so it produces very nice output over time.... Not sure about the others you mentioned.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIY your TaskLight 3AA like this...... :naughty:
Tasklight-2.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referrring to - if you do a search on this forum on ProPolymer 4AA, there are some posts about it failing to work completely, the switch not working, etc. I am sure it has great capabilities but this is a concern?

Are you saying the TAsk Light is not regulated?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm delighted with the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon Propoly and bought another as a gift for my brother. It is one of my best light purchases and I've had no failures with it. Switch feels and works great.

The plastic may appear to look cheezy in photographs, but the photos are deceptive because it feels high quality in person.

I've been tempted to purchase a Streamlight 3AA, but the 4AA fits in my jacket pocket better due to the way the batteries are arranged.

The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon ProPoly throws farther than any of my other 1 or 1.5 watt Luxeon lights.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do a search on any product using a search engine, you'll find plenty of postings about problems with the product. It's symptomatic for internet users to make postings about problems they encounter, but seldom make postings about a product that is performing flawlessly. As such, the postings tend to skew the feedback on any product to look like it is problematic when in reality it may just be isolated or sporadic incidents.

If you continue to have concerns about the SL ProPoly 4AA, the fact that the body (including the switch) for that light has been around for quite a few years now (previously in both an incandescent and 7LED model), and that Streamlight is unquestionably good about repairing or replacing any of their products that fail under warranty, you can probably put your mind at ease.

Insofar as my personal experience with the SL Propoly 4AA models, I've purchased and used about 9 of them, 1 incandescent, 2 7-LEDs, and 6 Luxeons. Of all of those, the only problem I had was with weak output from one of the lamp assemblies on one of the Luxeons (promptly replaced by Streamlight once I got a round tuit to sending it in.) Can't say as I've ever encountered a switch problem with any of them, but then my experience could be a relatively small sampling in the overall scheme of things.

etc said:
I was referrring to - if you do a search on this forum on ProPolymer 4AA, there are some posts about it failing to work completely, the switch not working, etc. I am sure it has great capabilities but this is a concern?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct.

Is that a disadvantage? What does regulated mean, anyway? That it drains the batteries more?

greenLED

Flashaholic
etc said:
What does regulated mean, anyway?
In the case of current regulation, it means that the current delivered to the LED is the same for as much as the batteries can sustain that level (as oposed to dropping from the second you turn the light on). In brightness terms, it means that the light will not dim with time (until the batts are exhausted, that is). In the case of incandescent regulation, it's the voltage that's kept constant, IIRC..

Is this a disadvantage? I don't know. The only drawback I can see with regulation is that, depending on the light and batts you're using, you may end up in total darkness as the light falls out of regulation (very few lights really do this - mostly when using protected li-ion batteries, actually). Whereas in a non-regulated light, you get a progressive dimming which indicates in advance when to change batts. I've become spoiled and would rather have constant light level than dimming over time.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I like the non-regulated type.

I know my StreamLights are not regulated, not even Luxeon Jr.

Another question --- which one has better run time - ProPolymer 4AA or TaskLight 3AA?

Last edited:
greenLED said:
In the case of current regulation, it means that the current delivered to the LED is the same for as much as the batteries can sustain that level (as oposed to dropping from the second you turn the light on). In brightness terms, it means that the light will not dim with time (until the batts are exhausted, that is). In the case of incandescent regulation, it's the voltage that's kept constant, IIRC..

Is this a disadvantage? I don't know. The only drawback I can see with regulation is that, depending on the light and batts you're using, you may end up in total darkness as the light falls out of regulation (very few lights really do this - mostly when using protected li-ion batteries, actually). Whereas in a non-regulated light, you get a progressive dimming which indicates in advance when to change batts. I've become spoiled and would rather have constant light level than dimming over time.

I don't think its a disadvantage at all. If you're in a situation where loss of light would be devastating such as while caving or exploring structures without any means of lighting, it would be stupid to go without a spare.

Just carry the main regulated one, spare batteries and a spare light. The spare have to burn long and just have enough light to let you see by. I carry my 2AA Brinmann Long Life as a spare when I go exploring in the darkness.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on this chart, StreamLight Luxeon Jr. has more output and throw than StreamLight Task Light 3AA?
How can this be if they use the same LED but the latter uses more batteries?

Hm?

If that's true, does the TaskLight get at least more run time? According to the charts, about 0.5 hour more with a flatter curve.

Last edited: