Tell me about the Surefire L2 low mode

dmz

Enlightened
The L2's high mode is super bright from what I have read. Tell me about the L2 low mode. Is it a useable flood beam? Is 15 lumens enough?

magic79

Enlightened
I find the low power very useful. The L2 is on my nightstand, and virtually every time I get up in the night, I use the low power. It's perfectly adequate for walking around in the night...even when camping. That's probably why my battery lasts and lasts in my L2.

The light is really a useful low-brightness light with instant access to an awesome high power flood.

I find the L2 to be the perfect indoor light. As it is more of a flood, it is not the best for situations where you need an outdoor spot with a lot of throw.

CLHC

Flashaholic
As what Magic79 summed up nicely. But for me, I tend to use my SureFire L2 on "High" every time I use it and almost never on "low" light setting.

SCblur

Enlightened
I think a common 2D cell light will put out about 15 lumens. Also, for comparison, my A2 puts out 3 lumens on low, and that's enough to comfortably navigate by when your eyes are night adapted. I had an L2 for about four months and camped with it a couple of times. I think it's safe to say that the 15 lumens is bright enough to use for almost all tasks, w/ a few more lumens a thumb's press away. It's not like the A2, where you often find yourself needing the high mode because the low is frequently inadequate for medium range tasks, rather the L2 low mode is much brighter than that.

dmz

Enlightened
scblur, thanks for the info.

What type of beam is the low mode? Flood? How is the hot spot?

faco

Enlightened
The L2s 15 Lumens (low) is more than enough with plenty of flood, actually its mostly flood. It all depends on your use, you will probably find it too bright indoors at times.

As for the hot spot, I find that on low its bright enough and blends in with the flood. As for the high beam all I can say is you'll be surprised. Sorry I'm not an expert here……

Hope the above helps