More on the Dorcy 3D 1 Watt

Oak

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking, but this is my first post. Hi all!
I have been playing with the Dorcy 3D luxeon flashlights for awhile (now on sale at Target for $5.48)
These are fascinating as the beams are brighter and with equal or more throw than anything else I have.

Note : The luxeon leds are off center on the lights I have seen.
They were mechanically designed to be centered, but for some reason the assemblers reversed the leds.
If yours is off center, all you have to do to correct this and get a nicer beam is unscrew the head from the body, expose the luxeon, and unscrew it with a small Phillips screwdriver, carefully noting which side gets the fiber washer, since the other bare screw conducts current to the led.
See this link to see the luxeon mounting. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113883
Then, just turn the led 180 degrees and the red wire will be pulled out a little more from the flashlight body. The screw threads in the aluminum can strip, so be gentle.
If a thread strips out you can use a slightly larger self taping sheet metal screw instead.
After the led is reversed you may note it is much better centered.
You can put some heat sink grease on the back; I did, but it probably made little difference. You must keep the bare screw clean though, as it conducts current.

There is another way to focus the beam: it's funny, but apparently this is the way the assemblers did it at the factory instead of using the right mounting holes.
If you look into the reflector portion of the head (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113883, fifth picture down, center item) you will see the silvered reflector mounted by a white plastic screw washer with four slots in it.
If this washer is loosened by inserting a tool into one of the slots and turning counter clock wise (don't slip), then the reflector can be turned to focus the beam more sharply and center the led better.

If you can see four dark lines coming out of the beam center, two on each side of the white center (sorry, I can't get a beam shot right now), those lines are the shadow of the led bonding wires, then you have focused it perfectly, although its not necessary to do so.

While you are at it, with the luxeon loose, note the numbers stamped on the back.
The two Dorcy 3Ds I have are as follows, all measured with the same batteries:
# 1. RYAJW 0167004 0705LXHLMWID, drawing 0.46 amps on my 20 amp meter range, beam snow white color.
# 2. RYAHW 0321047 410SLXHLMW1D, drawing 0.57 amps , beam white with slight yellow tint.
For comparison my Maglite 3D draws 0.85 amps.

Using a color and angle corrected GE light meter with a large diffuser, # 1 Dorcy reads 1.25 time the brightness of my maglite, and # 2 reads 1.4 x the maglite. Its hard to give an accurate lux reading as the beam is diffused and filtered, but as a relative comparison:
3D maglite about 26 lux
# 1 Dorcy about 32 lux
# 2 Dorcy about 38 lux
I would swear that # 2 Dorcy looks 50 percent brighter than # 1, but my light meter says otherwise.

I originally bought the flashlights to remove the luxeons to mod with, but I have been so satisfied with them that I am leaving them as they are.

Notice that at half an amp and 4.5 volts the luxeons are dissipating 2 plus watts as noted by the previous post.
I wonder what the light output curve is for overdriving 1 watt luxeons?
It seems that an overdriven 1 watt luxeon is brighter than some 3 watt units. Does anyone have any data?

mdocod

Flashaholic
From what I have learned, the Dorcy Super 1W has a resistor in the path, so the LED is not running at 2W, but the combined consumption of the LED and the resistor is definetally higher than 1W..

Oak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input.

mdocod and Handbasin, you are both right.

There is 1.2 ohms of resistance from the positive battery terminal, through the switch etc (I measured 1.1 ohm, minus lead resistance, close enough) in series with the luxeon led plus terminal...although I did not dissect the light to look for a physical resistor.

So I measured the voltages across the LEDs as follows:

#1 Dorcy 3D, RYAJW 0167004 0705LXHLMWID, drawing 0.46 amps,
the 1.1 ohm resistor dissipates 1.1 ohms X 0.46A = 0.506Volts times .46A
= 0.233 watts resistor dissipation
the led voltage is initially 3.47V dropping to 3.43V within 10 seconds;
at 3.43V and 0.46 amps; 3.43V times 0.46 amps = 1.578 watts
So the led dissipation is 1.578 watts

#2 Dorcy 3D, RYAHW 0321047 410SLXHLMW1D, drawing 0.57 amps -
the 1.1 ohm resistors disipates 1.1X 0.57 amps = 0.627 volts times 0.57 amps = 0.357 watt resistor dissipation
The led voltage is initially 3.22 volts across the led dropping to 3.19 volts in 10 seconds; at 3.19 volts X 0.57 amps = 1.818 watts
So the led dissipation is 1.818 watts

So these two LEDs still dissipate 1.578 watts and 1.818 watts

Still overdriven,
Does anyone have data on overdriven 1 watt luxeons?,
also, what do my serial letters/ numbers on the back of the luxeons mean?
Thanks,

written by Oak who is still seeing spots in front of his eyes after trying to measure luxeon voltages with the led on

Monolith

Enlightened
R is the lumen output range, YA is the color, H and J indicate the forward voltage (Vf) with H being lower (it will have longer runtime). YA color is a little pinkish/purplish.

See here for more info on bins and voltages:

LED Bins

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info, I was very close to getting the Dorcy 3D 1 Watt,
I opted for the Nuwai ALX-233C 3 watt instead