I need an incandescent to go with the leds.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
OK,

I don't use a flashlight in my work. Just everyday stuff. Plus I am a scout leader so camping and some backpacking. I always carry the Arc AAA-LE and usually a UK4AA. I have the Arc LS on order. But I want a small relatively powerfull light for when the leds aren't enough.

I see the admiration for Surefire. So thinking towards them,,,

E2/C2/3 ?s How much bigger is the C2 than the E2? The surefire site lists length the same, but can I assume the C2 is larger in diameter? I was leaning toward a C3 since it seemed to only be the length of a 123 longer.

E2/C2 vs UK4AA How much brighter will the Surefires be than my UK? I like the size/form factor of the UK and it seems the E2/C2 would be similar. I would hope the C3 will have considerably more output than the UK.

I also liked the C2/3 since I could change to a higher output lamp. My leds will be my main use light, so run time isn't terribly important.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Del

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I guess I should also have said I have a couple other leds like the Photon II and ASP.
I also have a few mini mags that I would like to try the Nexstar bulbs in. But I want a small powerfull light like the SF.

Del

Darell

Flashaholic
Hi Dell. I was in the identical position as you are in now. And I chose the SF E2. It should be here any day now, and when it does arrive, I'll actually be able to supply you with some helpful info
smile.gif

My LED lights are perfect for about 98% of what I need light for. But when the brown bear saunters through camp, I'd like to be able to sex the thing from the comfort of my tent 50' away. Like you, I don't need long runtime in my *bright* light, I just need small and, well, BRIGHT. From what I hear, the E2 is gonna be the cat's meow for that role in my arsenal.

Tesla

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
But when the brown bear saunters through camp, I'd like to be able to sex the thing from the comfort of my tent 50' away.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is either a Freudian slip or YOU ARE DA' MAN!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Based on the information you gave, I too recommend the SureFire E2. As an alternative choice I recommend the Brinkmann Legend LX.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Del Rockwell:
OK,

I don't use a flashlight in my work. Just everyday stuff. Plus I am a scout leader so camping and some backpacking. I always carry the Arc AAA-LE and usually a UK4AA. I have the Arc LS on order. But I want a small relatively powerfull light for when the leds aren't enough.

I see the admiration for Surefire. So thinking towards them,,,

E2/C2/3 ?s How much bigger is the C2 than the E2? The surefire site lists length the same, but can I assume the C2 is larger in diameter? I was leaning toward a C3 since it seemed to only be the length of a 123 longer.

E2/C2 vs UK4AA How much brighter will the Surefires be than my UK? I like the size/form factor of the UK and it seems the E2/C2 would be similar. I would hope the C3 will have considerably more output than the UK.

I also liked the C2/3 since I could change to a higher output lamp. My leds will be my main use light, so run time isn't terribly important.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Del
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lonewolf

Enlightened
Del wait a few weeks Surefire has announced a LED that will fit the D2/M2/G2/C2 all the 2 lithium lights but the E2 (battery compartment narrower). This way you could just take one light and two heads.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tesla:
This is either a Freudian slip or YOU ARE DA' MAN!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, first off, I am Da Man. But that's not really what you're asking about, is it? I think we just have a phrasing miscomunication here. By "sex the thing" I meant "determine the gender" - not what your filthy mind obviously came up with. No, no. I'd need a much longer flashlight for that task.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
OK, it sounds like it has to be the E2. I'll probably hold off for the E2e though.

I am curious why the E2 is so much more prized than the C2. Is the C2 really that much bigger? Or is it some other reason? I'm still considering the C3 with the higher output lamp. Is that a bad choice?

Thanks for the responses

Del

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Del Rockwell:
OK, it sounds like it has to be the E2. I'll probably hold off for the E2e though.

I am curious why the E2 is so much more prized than the C2. Is the C2 really that much bigger? Or is it some other reason? I'm still considering the C3 with the higher output lamp. Is that a bad choice?

Thanks for the responses

Del
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Del, as a backpacker you might also be interested inm the plastic versions of these SureFire lights... I have no weight info yet, but I assume the "Nitrolon" is lighter weight - (edit: the E2 is 4 ounces, the G2 nitrolon is 3 ounces) you can see them here -for illustration purposes only mind you, at Botach: http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=bota ch&query=nitrolon&.autodone=http://www.botachtactical.com/
dum da dum dum...
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Del Rockwell:
Is the C2 really that much bigger? Or is it some other reason? I'm still considering the C3 with the higher output lamp. Is that a bad choice?
If size doesn't realy matter, go with the larger C, D, or P series. But instead of the 9V version, get the 6V + the adapter to make it 9V. That way you have a "convertable". Very handy. But to answer your question, the E2 is much smaller. The E2e...less differance. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, I'm finally an official SureFire owner. The E2 HA just arrived on my doorstep. This thing is every bit as pretty as I thought it would be. The quality of mfg is as high as it should be for the price. I just about cried when I fired up my AA MiniMag and compared the beams. I couldn't even SEE the Mag's beam when the E2 was fired up. I quickly switched the E2 back off after the comparison so I wouldn't embarass the Mag more than I needed to - I may just need that light one day. Of course, I also switched the E2 off to presever the expensive batteries, and to keep the paint from peeling off the bathroom wall.

Wanna know what my favorite part is about the E2? I'm so used to waiting for dark to play with my LED lights, whereas this thing even floods a day-lit room with startlingly white light. And it isn't just that I'm lighting up a room, it's as if I'm literally chasing the shadows out of all the nooks and crannies. Pretty cool.

In summary: I like it, and I think I'll keep it (sorry TX).

Oh, and to stay on topic - I can now officially recommend the E2 as an excellent LED companion (for bear-sexing operations and such).

Here's the only gripe I have: I was really expecting a perfect beam after all the hype I've heard. The light is WAY white, and the beam is excellent for an incandescent, but it is still blobby, has a darker center, and has a brighter line of light that slashes across the beam. Maybe I got a bummer refector, who knows?

OK, that's it for my E2 report.

Tesla

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
By "sex the thing" I meant "determine the gender"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what, pray tell, do you do with this information?
grin.gif
blush.gif

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
OK,

I also broke down and ordered the E2 HA this morning. Along with a box o' batteries. Figure I'll go through them quickly just playing with the light. I just wish I had it for this weekends campout. They said they wanted to play flashlight tag. Hmmm, with the E2 in my hand, they might never want to play again!

Thanks for all the advice. I would bet that the C3 or the C2 with an adapter to make it into a C3 will be coming soon. I never could find that adapter on the SF web site though.

Del

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tesla:
And what, pray tell, do you do with this information?
grin.gif
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn. Always riding me about something, aren't you?
grin.gif

I need to know the gender of the camp marauder about as much as I need to own 12 Arc AAAs (down to 11 now that my daughter has learned to flush the toilet) and six Photons, and two infinities, and....

Hey, I don't have to make sense. I'm a Flashaholic. I'm adicted to light... and apparently bear genetalia.

Darell

Flashaholic
OK,

Along with a box o' batteries. Figure I'll go through them quickly just playing with the light.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Del -

Just got dark here, and I'm expecting the local constabulary to drop by anytime. I've been lighting up the treetops, the neighbor's chimneys, etc. The neighborhood cats used to be able to crap in my bushes in peace. No more.

supertrucker

Newly Enlightened
I'm about ready to order an E2 also.
A buddy of mine just got an E2 and a streamlight scorpion, the scorp is a tiny bit brighter and is focosable, but is also larger.Both lights are AWSOME! The E2 is a little bit smaller than a AA-MAG yet as bright as a 3 or 4 D CELL MAG!!! I think I'm gonna have to order both.
I just need some help in justifying both of them to my wife!!!

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertrucker:
I'm about ready to order an E2 also.
A buddy of mine just got an E2 and a streamlight scorpion, the scorp is a tiny bit brighter and is focosable, but is also larger.Both lights are AWSOME! The E2 is a little bit smaller than a AA-MAG yet as bright as a 3 or 4 D CELL MAG!!! I think I'm gonna have to order both.
I just need some help in justifying both of them to my wife!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To supertrucker`s wife... no matter how good of a wife you undoubtedly are, your husband will forever have an extremely deep void in his life if he does not in the near future become the owner of one of the best flashlights ever made... the Sure Fire E2 HA.

With the E2`s in hand (two of them... one for each one of you), you will experience a spiritual joy that is normally reserved just for the gods in the heavens.

Don`t miss this rare opportunity.