Moral question.....

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Actually this may be a wrong title, but couldn't find a better term! The other day, my old Audiolab 8000CD died and I had to decide between repair or replacement. (Still undecided!) As I was looking over the offers, I noticed a bunch of new, chinese brands popping up everywhere and couldn't help comaring it to the flashlight scene.
I gotta admit I have a huge problem with the chinese communist system! That goes for their abuse of basic human rights, industrial/military espionage, technological rip off's, etc, etc.
Basically it boils down to this; can I morally defend buying chinese manufactured CR123's, Photon copies, cd players, etc, etc.... when I'm actually supporting a system I can't stand? Yes, the cost is way lower that stuff produced in the US/Europe, but is cost everything? Mind you, I have no problems with the chinese people, just the system!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see nothing wrong with purchasing them if it fits your needs. Even though the system is still very bad, the areas showing the most improvement for the people are the commercial ones. I have read stories of some entire cities which are hubs of high tech manufacturing that are very similar to Western cities in the freedoms and quality of life offered. And as bad as some of the conditions still look to us, it's an improvemnt for most of the people, and can only improve further with time.

As more of the people see the prosperity of Hong Kong and these other hub cities, the shortcomings of the existing system will become more widely known and less likely to be tolerated. The leaders will have no choice but to change the system just as they have begrudgingly done in HK and a few other places. If we cut off purchases from China, it's only going to hurt the people and delay the spread of prosperity throughout the country.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
the current economic boom in china is gradualy raising the china`es standard of living and education.

hopefully they will eventually riseup and overthrow their dictators, and become a democratic country.

every penny i spend is hopefully bringing that day one step closer.

regards.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Thanks for your input, guys! While I agree completely with what you said, I can't help wonder what purchasing chinese goods do to american/european businesses. As far as I know (and I'm by no means an expert) there is a rather substantial trace deficit in the US/China and Europe/China trade.
I realize it's pretty naive, as many US/Euro companies are using chinese sub contractors(!), but somehow I feel better spending my money on US/European made products!