Another U2 dissapointment

Englander

Newly Enlightened
I bought the U2, a brave decision on my part i though, since its dogged with problems, but i thought, no, ill get a U2, the 6 stage light with good flood is exactly what i need.

It came in the post last thursday, I opened it and switched it on, worked, i was well chuffed. A few days later... u guessed it, problems, problems, problems..

1. Donut hole, yes its got a donut hole, hardly noticable, so slight its almost as if your eyes are playing a trick on you, but its there. But it doesnt really affect the performace of the light, it still lights up things a treat.

2. Dust behind glass, yes its got that 2, but not really detrimental to the preformance, so I let that go aswell.

3. Yes the achiles heal of the U2, the TAIL CAP! At first it was only a bit sticky, but as a days use or so has gone it, its now jamming stuck on and off and not working properly.

I will be ringing Surfire up when i get home (dont have the torch of packaging with me at moment so will have to wait) to get them to send me a replacement.

Although im tempted to buy a clickie meant for another torch and fit that, is that possible? it wont match i know, but ill have a backup for when the U2 one goes again.

They must have a complaint with every single U2 clickie they sell, surely it warrants a recall or something??

P.S. if i tell them im not happy with the donut ring and dust they would replace the unit entirely? or is that just me dreaming?

Well thanks for listening to my rant :rant: from an almost crying :mecry: CPF'er

Craig.

carrot

Flashaholic
They would replace the light completely if you complained about the dust and donut hole, assuming the "donut" is still under warranty policy. If you are happy with the tint, however, I would keep the light and just request replacement clickies. The tint is half of the LuxV lottery, and the donut is the other half. If your donut isn't very pronounced, it's fairly normal for a LuxV such as the U2.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I had a brand new z58 tailcap (the same internals as on the U2) do the same the other day! Gave it a good does of WD-40 inside and now it works perfectly!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a twisty LOTC work on these? I wonder why some people haven't just put one on there instead of warrentying it over and over unless they want the clicky at all costs.. I wonder if SF would send you a twisty if you asked instead?

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Carrot, yeah the tint is pretty white (if im reading tint correctly), not greenish or much blue in it at all, dust doesnt bother me as much as the donut will, after all, ill hopefully never be on the recieving end of the light to see the dust :) . Glad you mentioned the tint though, I thought id read about it being green in a review, but when i got mine and it wasnt i dismissed it.

Good suggestion Porcupine, ill try that the moment i get back, hopefully it will work and I dont have to ring up at all, if that doesnt work then ill ring them up.

Thanks! :goodjob:

Craig.

magic79

Enlightened
Englander said:
Good suggestion Porcupine, ill try that the moment i get back, hopefully it will work and I dont have to ring up at all, if that doesnt work then ill ring them up.

I really think it's a bad idea to do "self warranty" service. It's true that it may fix the problem, but what if it damages the switch and voids the warranty (not likely with Surefire I suspect)? Beyond that, the more warranty work Surefire gets, the more likely they are to SOLVE the problem once and for all.

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Hmm good point Magic79, dont wanna go voiding that warranty, ill give them a ring, see what they say..

Craig.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't squirt WD40 in there. After a year or two it will turn to gum. Get a replacement tailcap from SF. If they agree to send you a new one, you might consider going ahead and trying to fix the old one. Search on the forum and you will find some posts that talk about fixing the tailcap.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IIRC the normal C-Series LOTC won't work, but the G2's tailcap should, just as the Z49 clicky, which seems to be extremely reliable, but quite big.
bernie

The Porcupine

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
Don't squirt WD40 in there. After a year or two it will turn to gum. Get a replacement tailcap from SF. If they agree to send you a new one, you might consider going ahead and trying to fix the old one. Search on the forum and you will find some posts that talk about fixing the tailcap.
I agree; it's not the brightest thing to do! I actually got a brand new TC from Surefire and initially it worked well. After a few hours, it just started to feel "wrong" (still worked) and I didn't feel like calling SF and complain once more....!
I'm getting the z41 twisty TC as soon as I can find one, as I prefer the simplicity and reliability of twistys anyway!
I'll let you know if the WD-40 starts to act up!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
OK ... just checked ... G2 tailcap as well as Z48 works whereas SW01 and Z41 LOTC won't work. Strangely enough, the SW02 won't work.
:)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't send it back if you ever want to see it again. I'm not totally serious, but they have had mine 8 weeks and they are saying its going to be a couple more. And they have been saying that every two weeks.

changsn

Newly Enlightened
The Porcupine said:
I had a brand new z58 tailcap (the same internals as on the U2) do the same the other day! Gave it a good does of WD-40 inside and now it works perfectly!

As others have said, be careful with WD-40, it is petroleum based and therefore not good with Buna o-rings. They swell up and break very easily after exposure.
Sam

CLHC

Flashaholic
These posts/threads regarding SureFire's U2s are interesting to read.

Hope you get is resolved soon enough. Enjoy!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
Don't send it back if you ever want to see it again. I'm not totally serious, but they have had mine 8 weeks and they are saying its going to be a couple more. And they have been saying that every two weeks.

Ditto.

Mine has been in for ??? weeks now and I get the same answer. Actually, I got it for the first time last Monday. Now, Cave Dave's situation has made me think that I won't be getting the light shipped in 2 weeks...

:awman:

Anyway, if your donut hole is hardly noticeable, my recommendation would be to stick with it. I could see mine at every level and at almost every distance whether the light was shined at a light colored surface or not. At this point, I am beginning to believe that barely noticeable is the best that things can get.

Just my two cents.

-Goatee

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to try Cailube...it's a spray cleaner with a light lubricant made for electronics made by CAIG Laboratories, Inc. - Home of DeoxIt, 20% off. To order, call 1-800-224-4123, select "0" (Order Desk) and provide them with code: CPF-DISC. Valid until October 18, 2006. See post #78 for more.
changsn said:
As others have said, be careful with WD-40, it is petroleum based and therefore not good with Buna o-rings. They swell up and break very easily after exposure.
Sam

wuyeah

Enlightened
I get over with my donut issue on my L2, its like yours, light donut. playing tricks to eyes. Mine only shows on low...thanks god L2 only has 2 level instead of 6. no donut on high due to strong light.

why i get over, i have found, the slightly donut only appears range 3-8 feet. for low light farther i walk, donut just blend in with white wall. Is became not much of deal in mind, and i start to appreciate the light more. most of stuff i shine on will not be a white wall....donut is hardly notice for general use.