Any ghosthunters/explorers out there?

pbs357

Enlightened
Hey all,

I just found some explorer/ghosthunter sites like deadohio.com where people explore old abandoned or haunted places. But it seems like on expeditions like these and documentaries on TV they always use crappy plastic D cell incans or a maglite with weak batteries and the focus set to "flood" which those of us here on CPF know is really "big dark spot in the middle" position. I was thinking about doing some exploring and maybe even some nighttime self-scaring in these places and wondered if anyone here doe this? If so, what lights do you bring? (yes, I'm a little new, but I know you/we never bring just one!).

:popcorn:

pbs357

Enlightened
Yes, I read Phaserburn's thread from start to finish in one sitting! Thought that was pretty cool, and it reminded me of some of the stories I read on those ghosthunter/abandoned hospital-asylum sites. I just wonder about the stories of "...and then our flashlights went out..." and how carrying a couple of surefires or other quality lights might have changed the lighting situation there!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think ghosts are allergic to bright light. The brighter your light, the fewer you'll see...

Saw a ghost story stage play in London once called "The Lady in Black". Having a flashlight go out at the best/worst time was a part of the plot. I had my Arc LS on my belt at that time and had to chuckle then, just a little, to myself...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what they claim, who knows if it be true of course. "Ghosts" feed off the energy of the flashlight, at least temporailly draining them. So if that is the case, the stronger the battery the stronger the "ghost" would become, leaving you with a dead light for that time no matter what you carried. At least that is how I have taken it from the little I have heard on the subject.

That said I would carry a couple of lights, most likely an X5 or two, and perhaps a good headlamp so I could use my hands to push people aside should I need to :0... remember you dont need to outrun everything, just the slowest other person :).

Last edited:

pbs357

Enlightened
Really? Whoa... I'll be sure to give my 4x123 12v Ultrafire to someone else, while I light my way with a Photon keychain light :candle: . I don't want some ghostmonster following me around because it's eating at my Thor. If that's true, that's kind of neat in a creepy-yet-scifi kind of way.

vtunderground

Enlightened
pbs357 said:
I was thinking about doing some exploring and maybe even some nighttime self-scaring in these places and wondered if anyone here doe this? If so, what lights do you bring? (yes, I'm a little new, but I know you/we never bring just one!).

Eh, I've been known to explore an abandoned asylum or hospital every now and then, but I've never looked for ghosts.

I have been in one building that genuinely felt haunted (and had a bunch of unexplained noises). It's the oldest building on VA Tech's campus... It was originally the home of the university president, but was later expanded and turned into a hospital. When I explored it, it was in the middle of being renovated into office and classroom space I believe. I was the only person in the building at the time, yet I kept hearing what sounded like someone walking down the hall from me. I tried to track down the noise, but couldn't find the source. Kinda creepy.

Anyways, back then I used a Mini-Mag. Now I use a Surefire L4.