variable brightness 2 (or more) x RCR123 lights

eart

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, are there any variable britness 2 x RCR123 lights out there? Perhaps around $50 (+/- $20)?

I'm also curious about something else. Do you guys typically try to buy lights that use the same battery type, or do you deversify? The reason I want an RCR123 x 2 light is because my FF3 uses an RCR123 so in an emergency I'd be able to shuffle batteries to accomplish whatever I needed to do. Thoughts?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai may be your only option with the TM301X-3 (Big Q3) and TM115X (on sale at Lighthound for $25). Both are bright Lux III two-stage lights.

But your best bet is the CPF special VB-16 being offered by Wit's End for ~$65 with multiple brightness levels and better quality. I dropped my Big Q3 less than two feet a couple of weeks ago and it broke off an internal resistor and started shorting out in my pocket. I like the TM301X-3, because it has two levels, but it needs to be built just a little better...

eart

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've seen the CPF special. I guess my question is, does VB16 support RCR123? I believe most CR123 flashlights don't like RCRs due to higher voltage.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You're right about the increased voltage: 2Xr123's would be ~7.2V - if the VB16 supports up to 9V, I'd say it'll be OK. From what I see with other lights, I'd say that's doubtful. That's what 17650 (or whatever the equivalent slim size of 2x123's is - I've lost track of all the sizes) li-ions are for ;)

eart

Newly Enlightened
Heh, I"m trying to stay away from more battery types.. Thanks though.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot one. The Streamlight Twin Task 2L. Halogen or Xenon main bulb with LEDs for low for less than $30. Also Streamlight just came out with a new all-LED version for around $37.
Don't know if either can take RCR's. Old incan version probably not.
Of course you can always use 3V regulated RCR's like I use in my Inova T3, which is not supposed to like anything over 6V.

Last edited: