3 x LuxV's in a m@g ???

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Am I dreaming or can this be done? I have in my head to put 3 x 5w into a mag using an O-sink for three stars. And 3 IMS20 reflectors. What I can't seem to find is suitable driver for such a beast. Does anybody have any ideas they wish to share?

cheers,

zwf

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Georges80 (leddynamics) has one under development, but last I heard, he is still waiting for a specific IC to be released.

LED Dynamics has this one

http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/datasheets/2008B-PowerPuck.pdf

but you will need around 24 volts Vbat to run it.

The other alternative I have seen is to build them up with 3 drivers (one for each Lux V)

The one I saw was built for a CPF contest last year, and boy did it warm up with those 3 Lux Vs going. Lots of power.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Thanks for you input guys. That shark looks like just the ticket. I have 3 WYOS's on the way. Also one of Modamag's battery adapters (12AA-3D). Found also at the shoppe a PTS2-D heatsink. I'll also cut grooves into the head of the host in an effort to manage the heat situation.

cheers,

zwf

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
I would make it like zwf :)

Got also 3 WYOS from the very, very, very nice gessner17 groupbuy :D

The only thing i´m not sure is the Shark converter :(

Can the Shark drive 3 Lux V safety?

The PTS2D should be enough heat sink I hope (maybe I would build a copper one ;) )

Best regards,
Flo

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shark should be fine. You just have to be sure the Vf total (3 x S-Vf) is <22v (w/J1 jumpered).

-DF

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
DFiorentino said:
The shark should be fine. You just have to be sure the Vf total (3 x S-Vf) is <22v (w/J1 jumpered).

-DF

According to the literature I have the worst case vf for the s bin is 6.39v

3 x 6.39 = 19.17 From that I'm thinking we're good to go.

cheers,

zwf

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Actually, ZWF, if you are referring to Gessner's WY0S stars, check the thread awhile back. The last batch measured R-bin Vf, a record setting efficiency high with the lowest Vf numbers seen for a Lux V! Cy measured something sick like 5.95V or so driven at spec, made me drool and order some for myself. We shall see if this batch is the same. Any case, you are good to go with the Shark, its what it was designed for. I had the same thought as you, got a PTS D from Shoppe, a Mag host (in HAIII from WTRaymond), Gessner's trio of awesome Lux Vs.... all I need is the right converter and power solution and I'm good to go too! Good luck! Oh, check out Flex76Italy's 15W Cyan monster mod. Lucky and clever fellow got George to make him a hopped up nFlex that can drive three Lux Vs.... (cyan eyed with envy over that one!)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Lunarmodule said:
Actually, ZWF, if you are referring to Gessner's WY0S stars, check the thread awhile back. The last batch measured R-bin Vf, a record setting efficiency high with the lowest Vf numbers seen for a Lux V! Cy measured something sick like 5.95V or so driven at spec, made me drool and order some for myself. We shall see if this batch is the same. Any case, you are good to go with the Shark, its what it was designed for. I had the same thought as you, got a PTS D from Shoppe, a Mag host (in HAIII from WTRaymond), Gessner's trio of awesome Lux Vs.... all I need is the right converter and power solution and I'm good to go too! Good luck! Oh, check out Flex76Italy's 15W Cyan monster mod. Lucky and clever fellow got George to make him a hopped up nFlex that can drive three Lux Vs.... (cyan eyed with envy over that one!)
The four WX1S bin 5Watters that I tested here at 750mA had an actual vf of 6.09v down to 5.98v - not bad ;)

Will

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:
Am I dreaming or can this be done? I have in my head to put 3 x 5w into a mag using an O-sink for three stars. And 3 IMS20 reflectors. What I can't seem to find is suitable driver for such a beast. Does anybody have any ideas they wish to share?

cheers,

zwf

A word of advice, last time I used the IMS20 with a LuxV there was a knid of an apparent dont hole. THe McR20 on the other hand doesn't do that with its orange peel.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
270, Thanks for the heads up on the doe-nut hole. I'll be looking for that. It may not be a problem with 3. They may sort of cancel each other out if the allignment is not a perfect 100%. Will have to wait and see.

zwf