Red LED

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered 20 of the red lights here
for map and backup lights for the ROTC class when they go to LDAC.

I'm also going to be trying out some replacement bulbs for my 2C Mag Lite.

Gerber makes some AA red LED choices as well. Hope this helps!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Shirley says, the red led gerber infinity ultra is very good,

You might want to try the Dorcy Hawkeye (I think)_ which has a luxeon emitter powered by three AAA cells and holds two filters in the hilt, one red and one blue, it seems pretty good to me.

Apparently niteize are making the minimag drop in led modules in all colours soon, watch out for them.

Not to mention, stylus,peaks,inova keychains,photons,fauxtons from lighthound,surefire filters,petzl headlamps, cheap bicycle tail lights, etc etc
etc.

Recommended though for all round toughness and durability is the INOVA X5 with red leds...sweet.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than the red Infinity Ultra, I'd take a look at the red Gerber Trio. Essencially it is the Ultra running on 2 AAs with 3 LEDs. This makes the light a lot brighter and is more suitable for walking outside that the Ultra.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber Trio -- thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I have the original Infinity. While it's tough built and has incredibly long run time - you can leave it on for something like a day without noticeable impact - it's really too weak for anything truly useful.

I don't know about the newer Ultra.

chumley

Enlightened
I bought a Gerber Trio red led light a couple of weeks ago, thinking that it would be brighter than the Infinity model. I don't think that the Trio is noticebly brighter than the Infinity. I run lithiums in the Infinity, so I even loaded ltihiums in the Trio, but it didn't get any brighter.

That being said, the Gerber is a fine light and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it, it just isn't much brighter than the Infinity.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said, the INOVA X5 red led is way brighter than the infinity and has a pretty good runtime, but it is more costly and uses the more expensive batteries.

I still think this is good value for money , but to each their own.

Enjoy whatever you get, at least we've got such a big choice these days, long may it continue.

Good Luck.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own 2 red pal survival lights. They're cheap and throw a good red beam, not like the wimpy bare led lights. I say buy a couple and try 'em out.

dca2

Enlightened
My 2 cents: In a red light environment, do you really need a bright light? I have found that when I am depending on night vision,i.e walking to a deer stand, reading a map in a Humvee, checking on kids in cribs, a little red light goes a long way. The Gerber Infinity I have puts out enough light and seems to be a little towards red-orange with artifacts. I put a Rat Shack red led into a Dorcy 1AAA and it works just as well but has a slightly purpler(?) hue and weird but cool artifacts--diamond in the middle witha small circle in the diamond.

I have asked similar ? here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111936 I have ordered these LEDs: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112172&highlight=white but have not had a chance to try them out.
Another thread related: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104425&highlight=red
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited: