2D Luxeon LED?

BeamJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Check out the custom mod section. MillerMods is building just the set up you're looking for.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nite Ize PR Luxeon LED bulb is starting to make it's appearance at some Target stores at a price of $9.99. It can be used in lights with 2-6 batteries.

etc said:
Is there a light that has Luxeon LED and used 2D batteries?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a lot of light, and produced very efficiently, I have what you want. A tri-lux 2D Maglite with R-bin luxes producing ~135 lumens with regular alkaline D's.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
The Nite Ize PR Luxeon LED bulb is starting to make it's appearance at some Target stores at a price of $9.99. It can be used in lights with 2-6 batteries.

The Nite Ize PR LED is not a Luxeon though, it looks to me like a 10mm LED.

Rando

Enlightened
etc said:
Is there a light that has Luxeon LED and used 2D batteries?

Not quite what you're looking for, but I bought a River Rock light at Target last week, it takes 2Cs and has a 1.5 watt Nichia LED. It has a tightly focused lens. Around $20 if I remember correctly. Hope that helps.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rando said:
Not quite what you're looking for, but I bought a River Rock light at Target last week, it takes 2Cs and has a 1.5 watt Nichia LED. It has a tightly focused lens. Around $20 if I remember correctly. Hope that helps.

A flashlight with no spill is like looking through a hole in bag over your head. Plus the Nichia's are very bluish. I think the Elektrolumens 1R is the best choice for a 2D 1 watt lux for $20.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc wrote: "Is there a light that has Luxeon LED and used 2D batteries?"

If you're not in a hurry - might want to wait a bit for the MagLite/MagLED offerings (3watt LuxIII @ ~$30) due in May - when the market may even out a bit.....

see this thread -

MAG-LED pre-order

There are some specs and info on this page
(may have to click on the Specifications tab)
2D MagLED pre-order page

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're absolutely right. I'm afraid there was an incorrect presumption there on my part. I picked one of these up last night to try and was very disappointed with the output level. While it may run a good long time in a D cell light, I personally couldn't justify using a D cell light for such low output (was using a 3D Mag). As a matter of fact, I think I'd be more inclined to stay with an incandescent bulb (I normally use the Mag Xenon) than to put the Nite Ize in there. I currently have one of the Sears 3AA Lux bulbs in that Mag.

garageguy said:
The Nite Ize PR LED is not a Luxeon though, it looks to me like a 10mm LED.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...A flashlight with no spill is like looking through a hole in bag over your head...
It kind of depends on whether you need a tight beam or not. Many who don't need one automatically assume that no one else would either. There are tight beamed lights that haved remained good sellers year after year after year because enough users find they have qualities that they require for certain tasks. Someone is buying them. As long as people keep buying them manufacturers will keep making them.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
Many who don't need one automatically assume that no one else would either.

I described it. I don't personally like it, but my implication was not that everyone else shouldn't like it. I know some like a bluish tint too. I don't, but it's a good thing to be informative.

WNG

Enlightened
etc said:
>> Elektro Lumens is closing out the Blaster 1R at $19.99.

that sounds like a good deal.

I have the 3D Blaster 3W Lux-III. It's a well built light. The 2D sounds like a great deal, until you factor in $8-9 for UPS Ground shipping.
I would have bought another, if it wasn't for that.
:-(

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Elektrolumens 1R have a tight beam?

I like tight beams.

My StreamLight Jr. Does not have a very tight beam, neither does TwinTask.

Each type is usable for its own purpose.

83Venture

Enlightened
ElectroLumens also makes a 2 D AngleLux. A Modified Military angle light with your choice of LEDs. I bought a 1 & 3 watt and both are very good, tough lights. Lent the 1 Watt to a buddy that went to the sandbox and he never had any problem. He has been back a while but it has not come home yet. :)

Just have to make do with the 3 watt I guess.