Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target made an error in their pricing

Flashaholic

Default Target made an error in their pricing

Just came from the Garden Grove Target in search of more of the clearanced River Rock headlights and Dorcy 3Ds when I came across the Dorcy Super 1 Watt 1xcr123. The rack didn't have the price so I brought 2 of them to the registers. I was gonna buy them regardless of the price to give to my sons. When the girl scanned them they came up $4.99 each. The girl said that couldn't be right because she knew it was a new item. She checked and they were supposed to be $19.99. She said someone must have accidentally clearanced them off 75% with the River Rock stuff. She said she would give them to me at the clearance price since that is what they scanned. But when I asked her if I could get more, she said she couldn't do that. So I did the next best thing, I called my wife who was still browsing the little girls clothes to clear off the rack and buy them all. But when she got to the checkouts, they scanned the correct price. I would've checked other Targets but the missus gave me that look.

Default Re: Target made an error in their pricing

Wise of you to call your wife; just a bit unfortunate that you didn't get them :P.

Now I'm just wishing I could have a similar experience next time I go there.
    Last edited by igabo; 04-10-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Surefire X300, Romisen TC-T601 II, Klarus XT11, Surefire 6PX Tactical

Flashaholic

I find this post very discouraging. Not that you didn't get the lights at the erroneous price, but that you attempted to do so....

Flashaholic

My intent was to keep the two for my sons and one for myself then to pass the others on to others on this forum for the price I payed plus shipping. I'm sorry if I might have offended anyone.

Flashaholic

Rala, I'm sorry I came across as a hardass. I'm sure your intentions were good. I think we tend to treat large retailers as enemies, and figure that whatever we get away with is alright. All I meant was that this is a dangerous attitude, a slippery slope. And it hasn't been a good day - I'm sure that colored my remarks.

Flashaholic

No harm no foul. I just figured I'd do something for those who have passed on a lot of good information to those like me. I've been lurking here for a couple of years now and that was my first post. What a way to start.

I gave this quite some thought before closing it. Even then, I had second thoughts. Perhaps it would be better to permit discussion of such practices.

I'm reopening the thread to permit the discussion. If it becomes too personalized it could be closed again.

Flashaholic

Hi Empath and others ,

In my area of the country it is common practice for Retailers to honor any price that they marked on an item. They figure that it is better to take some loss on a mismarked item than it is to cause a dissatisfied customer.

Some customers may become angry because they feel that they have been fooled by a deceptive "bait and switch".

Whenever I have benefited from this policy I have always had warm feelings toward the retailer and have been pleased to continue to shop with them in the future. I just figure that I got the benefit of an "unadvertised special" and go on.

I would not expect this if a new BMW was accidentally advertised at $2.99.

Further, I would not try to clean out the stock. I would consider that whatever I had in the cart when I came to the checkout with my normal purchase was involved, no more.

Steve
    Last edited by justsomeguy; 04-11-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Flashaholic

Agreed, it was perfectly appropriate of Target to make this gesture, and Rala to accept it. It gets stickier attempting to then take advantage of what you know is an error, however altruistic the intent.

Now, if I could only state with certainty that I wouldn't have done the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy
    Hi Empath and others ,

In my area of the country it is common practice for Retailers to honor any price that they marked on an item. They figure that it is better to take some loss on a mismarked item than it is to cause a dissatisfied customer.

Some customers may become angry because they feel that they have been fooled by a deceptive "bait and switch".

Whenever I have benefited from this policy I have always had warm feelings toward the retailer and have been pleased to continue to shop with them in the future. I just figure that I got the benefit of an "unadvertised special" and go on.

Steve
    Runtime be damned

Quote Originally Posted by mckevin
    Agreed, it was perfectly appropriate of Target to make this gesture, and Rala to accept it. It gets stickier attempting to then take advantage of what you know is an error, however altruistic the intent.

Now, if I could only state with certainty that I wouldn't have done the same thing...
    I'll second this, exactly how I feel.

I'm really glad no one is flaming this.

rala, first off welcome to the forums... and i would have done the same thing! lol

Flashaholic*

I've run into this situation a couple of times in the last couple of weeks (for the first time!). But since Rala is in California, the retailer is required to honor the lower of the posted or scanned price. Of course, with the scanned price, people don't usually bring it to the retailer's attention so it is possible that it might go on for a while before someone notices. In the case of a lower posted price the retailer would be required to make the adjustment (at some grocery stores, they give you the first item of the product for free if the scanned price differs from the posted price.) Quite honestly, I"m a bit surprised that the Target cashier would have spotted the anomaly, there's a lot of SKUs in their stores and it would be difficult to be familiar with them all, even if it is just the flashlights (unless the Target employee is a member here :; ).

In the two cases that I encountered, employees from both stores addressed it like they were doing me some sort of great favor by "giving" me the item at the lower posted price. The more arrogant one, I just shut up by responding with "That's mighty nice of you since the state law requires it."

Quote Originally Posted by Empath
    I gave this quite some thought before closing it. Even then, I had second thoughts. Perhaps it would be better to permit discussion of such practices.

I'm reopening the thread to permit the discussion. If it becomes too personalized it could be closed again.
    Last edited by Brighteyez; 04-11-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Flashaholic*

Ive cautioned against this type of behavior cause it sends the wrong info to the person who handles the stock in regards to led products being made avaliable to everyone.

If you were successful in buying or stealing those lights at the discounted price, they would see there is no money to make and not carry it and glad they are gone.

Much like those who return the radiant series of lights cause the beam is a donut and not a spot target carried. I seriously doubt anyone outside of this forum would care of understand why those were being returned than the generic it aint bright enough, we arent making any money from these.

Unlike a purchase, a return takes man power with no return, they loose more when you return an item than what the receipt states.

Of course I am one to speak. I use to have a relative who would open up electronic goods and cut a few wires to make something not work for a reason to return it. Also would buy, wearing cloths for an occasion, then returning them.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy
    Hi Empath and others ,

Further, I would not try to clean out the stock. I would consider that whatever I had in the cart when I came to the checkout with my normal purchase was involved, no more.

Steve
    I have to agree with Steve on this one. I see absolutely no problem with taking the first one. But I feeling it is going to far to try and buy the rest of them.

Ron
    2 Dorcy AAA, Inova XO3, Surefire A2, G2, L4 (2 stage tail switch), HDS U60XR, Fenix L1T, Fenix L2P and CR123 Tube, Peak Matterhorn, PentagonLight L2.

Flashaholic

The two I originally purchased were given to me without coercing the cashier at all. She said she would give them to me before I could open my mouth to say anything. As for calling my wife, I admit that temptation got the best of me. I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.
    Someone turn on the dark, it's bright in here.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rala
    The girl said that couldn't be right because she knew it was a new item.
    She must be a flashaholic from CPF.

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.
    Here or at Target?

This does not help us in the long run....some might not understand this, but it hurts us in aggragate. I wouldn't do that.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.
    You are fine by me. Nobody's perfect, I prove it daily. Sometimes I make extra sure.

Flashaholic

rala, I have to admit that I would have been very tempted also.

Ron
    2 Dorcy AAA, Inova XO3, Surefire A2, G2, L4 (2 stage tail switch), HDS U60XR, Fenix L1T, Fenix L2P and CR123 Tube, Peak Matterhorn, PentagonLight L2.

Once in a while I'll find a penny or some loose change on the ground, I think "Find a penny pick it up all that day you'll have good luck" but now maybe I should feel guilty after reading this thread.

An issue like this is always going to be a muddy one, some will see it black, some white, and others in infinite shades of gray. Maybe my stance on this will make you think I'm a bad person, maybe not.

Stores like Target and Wal-Mart engage in highly predatory marketing and pricing practices. They enter a new market with prices so low they actually take a loss on many SKUs and in the process, kill a lot of local small businesses. Then, when the small businesses are all gone, the prices soar skyward because they know their customer base has no other choice than to pay the price or do without.

I look around my home town and see only one independant pharmacy still in business.
    I see half a dozen large buildings that used to be grocery stores standing empty. I see two K-Marts slowly rotting away, driven out of business by Wal-Mart and I see Target refusing to enter our area because we have not one but two WM Super Centers in town. They call it "Market Saturation" but what it really means is we're being screwed as hard as we can be.

Yes, I understand the finer points of honor, honesty, and ethic. Yes, I understand how negatively affecting the profit margin results in dropped SKUs. But when I see these modern day corporate robber barons picking our pockets, turning our downtown areas into deserted wastelands, depressing our economy and job markets, I have to give a quiet cheer every time they screw up and the little guy gets a tiny little bit back.

I'd have tried to buy every single one they had in the store and then gone across town to see if the same condition applied at the other Super Center. Call it situational ethics if you like but I just can't get very worked up over the thought of the victims getting a little bit back from the thieves.

Flashaholic*

I don't see any gray here at all. Being able to take advantage of, or being offered a lower price, due to a pricing error on the part of the retailer is a bit of good fortune that benefits both the retailer and customer by giving the customer a price break and provides the retailer with the opportunity to correct their pricing. It's that simple.

Conspiring with another person to attempt to profiteer from that act is a different story. In our state it falls under burglary in addition to any charges of fraud or larceny.

And I've never seen anything in the Penal Code that says that it's okay if the victim is a business named Target (Marshall Fields, Mervyns, whatever else they own) or Wal*Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bodine
    An issue like this is always going to be a muddy one, some will see it black, some white, and others in infinite shades of gray.

The defining "line" was contained in this statement:

But when I asked her if I could get more, she said she couldn't do that.
    Justifications, and trying to beat the change on the machine has to be measured against those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    I don't see any gray here at all.
    Others do.

The more arrogant one, I just shut up by responding with "That's mighty nice of you since the state law requires it."
    So I guess the big difference between you and me are thus...

I would happily take advantage of a hypothetical mistake (Its never happened to me.) made by a large predatory corporation, you would not.

You are intentionally rude and nasty to a low to minimum wage employee just trying to do their job, I am not.

Obviously sir, the moral high ground is yours.

Flashaholic*

I don't recall any large chain store training their employees to intentionally lie to customers, that's almost always by their own motivation or the direction of their immediate supervisor (who would also be what you describe to be a low or minimum wage employee.) That does differ from a smaller business where an employee may indeed be told/ordered to lie (and steal).
    There's also no gray area here with pricing, nor is there a hypothetical mistake, the requirements are very clear as to what price a consumer must be given when there is a discrepancy between the scanner and the posted price. That part may vary in your state.

Insofar as advocating theft and creating a fabricated justification because the victim is a large retail corporation is one of those attempts to compare apples with oranges

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bodine
    Others do.

So I guess the big difference between you and me are thus...

I would happily take advantage of a hypothetical mistake (Its never happened to me.) made by a large predatory corporation, you would not.

You are intentionally rude and nasty to a low to minimum wage employee just trying to do their job, I am not.

Obviously sir, the moral high ground is yours.

I am dirt poor...but every ill gotten gain from an evil corporation hurts us all, and I do think some are evil.

Flashaholic*

Of course it does, no corporation or it's stockholders is going to absorb the loss from shrinkage, they're going to pass it on to the consumer in the form of operating costs.

And it's not limited major corporations, it's pretty much the cornerstone of any business. The mom&pop grocery store is going to pass on the cost of their shrinkage to their consumers as well, along with requiring a larger profit margin for their smaller volume of sales, in the name of 'convenience' (hence the term convenience store?).

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    every ill gotten gain from an evil corporation hurts us all,

corporations try and utilize all of their assets if they can. Idle cash is an evil. There will be one less job, one less object produced. Even if the company was the most benevolent on earth or evil. The effect is the same. We live be serving each other. If we spent our time only cheating each other, there would be nothing to cheat each other out of.

"I see two K-Marts slowly rotting away, driven out of business by Wal-Mart"

I think that was Martha Stewerts fault...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast