Gerber LX 3.0 and Lithium Batteries

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
First off, let me say hi, and that this sight has been highly informative. I've just recently been bitten a little by the flashlight bug, and have a question.

I've got a Gerber LX 3.0, and in doing a bit of research about it, I have seen it repeatedly said that you should not use lithium batteries in it. I was perusing the Gerber website the other day and came across this in their FAQ section:

Q: Can I use Lithium batteries in your products?

A: In all our lights EXCEPT the Reactor 3.

So, who is correct? My thought would be that the manufacturer would know, but then again, maybe some have "real world" experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

dim

Enlightened
As someone who thinks highly of and writes often about the Gerber LX3.0, let me welcome you to CandlePower Forums. This is a GREAT and, often times, generous group.

Let me also warn you to HIDE YOUR WALLET!! This is an insidious little hobby that will grab you by the Franklins. BTW - when in doubt, BUY BOTH!! - You'll understand soon enough.

Flashaholism is a dark and slippery slope. You're going to need a good flashlight. Err...Several, actually - You'll see.....

Unless you have a specific need for the benefits of lithium batteries such as long term storage and cold weather performance, might I suggest NiMH batts. I suppose that lithiums may offer better initial brightness, though I don't know by how much, if at all, but according to the specifications of various Energizer batteries, available as PDFs on their site, and some dubious calculations by me, any benefits of "additional" voltage over NiMH batts may not be as great and for as long as one may anticipate.

I have great success with NiMH batteries in my LX3. I am happy with the brightness and the regulated performance that they supply the LX3 with. Despite the slight advantage in initial voltage of alkalines compared to NiMH batts, I am hard pressed to discern any difference in initial brightness. And while alkies start to quickly fade away into their, typically, long discharge curve, the NiMH batts maintain near constant brightness for about two hours before "dropping out" of "regulation". Another benefit of NiMH batts in the LX3 is no concerns of whether those few extra 1/10ths of a volt supplied by lithiums will damage your LX3.

Of course, there is also the advantage of price. While discounts and sales are periodically available, generally, both lithiums and NiMHs cost about $10 per pack of 4. While lithiums will supply about 3 hours of power to the 1Amp drawing LX3, NiMHs will "pay for itself" after only 2 charges - perhaps a few more if one includes the cost of a charger. I use an Energizer 8 bay slow charger that cost me $20. With its flat tail, I often ceiling bounce the LX3 with no concerns over battery costs. It's what we at CPF call "guilt free lumens" as NiMH batts are easier on, both, the wallet and, more importantly, the environment than primary batteries as they only get dumped after a few years as opposed to a few hours.

Again, welcome to CPF!! MWWHHHAAAaaaaa........

dim

Last edited:

chumley

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF riversedge. I also thought that it would be a mistake to run lithiums in the LX3. But you are correct, Gerber doesn't prohibit it.

I would err on the safe side however and would avoid lithiums. I run NIMH's in mine because I can always top off the charge and have full capacity when I use it.

My LX3 has a very white tint, so I wouldn't want to fry the led if there isn't any need for extra output.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome,
I know that it is a no no using Lithium Batteries Reactor 3. It woud go up
in smoke, not to sure about the Gerber LX 3.0, it would be best to play it safe
if not to sure

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help. I guess I will be getting some nimh's in the near future. Great, one more hobby to nickle and dime me to death, lol.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've written to two companies--Streamlight and one other, whose name I forget--to ask how, exactly, lithium cells would be "bad": Would the LED emitter die a quick, instant death? Or would the emitter's life be reduced from thousands of hours to merely hundreds?

Neither replied.

Latest posts