Wich is the best in this list?

veleno

Enlightened
I'm still looking for a good flashlight for outdoor use. I can't find my perfect flashlight (SF U2 is great, but expensive and I read about problems...), so I'm starting to think to carry two flashlight (and a headlamp when I need it).

I would want to replace my Inova T2 with something with more power. I don't know if T3 is good choice, perhaps it would be better something with more useful spill.

Here the list:

- Nuwai TM-301X-3
- Streamlight TL-2 gen. 2
- Streamlight Tasklight 2L

Which is the best flashlight for an outdoor use? (I am not very interested in low output option).

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what kind of application you plan on using the light for. Im affraid i dont own any of those, but i have found that nothing you can carry will provide enough for every single situation, my U2, yes its got problems as stated in other posts, is excellent despite the problems, the ability to change down and save battery life is a MUST, plus high power is more than enough for almost all applications.

IF you still want something more powerful than a U2 or an streamlight AA or G2 or something then you might want to look at Spot lamps. I carry a massive one (5.5 million candles) when i know im going on specific night excursions, they are very useful and are the only light to provide enough light and throw to light up quite big distances and have access to an even bigger 12 million candle lamp should the need arise.

I personally premier the U2 with G2 backup and an SC1 with spares lamp and batteries, then a "Pezle Tikka Plus" headtorch (VERY good light, cannot recommend it highly enough), then as a last ditch if things get really bad i also carry a windup thats fairly decent, not to mention the Inova microlight and other no-name microlight.

Not entirely helpful to you i know, but hopefully not a complete waste of a read to you.

Craig.

Last edited:

veleno

Enlightened
I already have an INOVA T2, INOVA Microlight (new and old model), INOVA X5 (new), a Glo-toob FX, and I am waiting for an ARC AAA Premium.

I'm planning to buy a Princeton TEC EOS or Apex, but I rarely go camping (usually I sleep and I have dinner in shelters).

INOVA X5 will be always with me on mountain. It's perfect in the shelters when there is no light or when I don't want to disturbe other people sleeping (in this case 15 lumens perhaps are too much, however... :grin2: ).

I'm looking for a flashlight with an output and a spill better than T2 and a good outonomy, to use in mountain for all eventuality... I could say mainly for walking and following a path... I don't need too much power, I thought the models of the list were a good choice for me.

Surefire are great flashlights, but I changed opinion and at this moment I don't think I'll buy one. I prefer something with a good quality/price ratio.

So for low output I already have an X5, now I'm looking for a second flashlight.

veleno

Enlightened
My T2 has the same output and a better autonomy.

I can't hide I'm a little confused...

Do you think I need more light?
The general opinion seems to consider INOVA t series don't have a useful spill for walking for example...

Englander

Newly Enlightened
From what your saying you want a good useful flood and a bright beam with good throw, my experience (very limited of course :grin2: ), one word U2 lol, but since your not after a Surefire, is there anything else out there that has similar characteristics? Am I right in these characteristics? if so, it will probably narrow the field for you considerably when people with more knowledge get online.

Hope ive been helpful to bounce ideas off anyway.

Craig.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TM301X-3 and before it broke from a drop, I found it's low mode and beam to be good for a lot of uses. The 2L Tasklight should be about the same, just with an incandescant bulb for high.

The TL-2 LED Gen 2 is about equivalent to the Inova T-3 in output. I have the T-3, and love it's quality and precision feel. It does have some sidespill, it just tapers off to nothing more quickly than reflectored lights. If it had a low mode, I'd drop my project to repair my TM301X-3.

You would like the Big Q3 as long as you don't break it, so I would recommend the cheaper and probably better TT 2L or the new Streamlight Night Com with a red or green and White LED multi-level with Xenon main bulb for $37. Still cheaper than the Big Q3 and more flexible. That would be my choice unless you really want LED only.

BUT for a little extra money: the CPF VB-16 from CPF member Wit's End. Many Brightness levels, All LED, Good quality. A poor man's SF U2 I'm told. It's on my list of future purchases.

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
The only light on your list that I've owned is the Tasklight 2L. I would not recommend this one. The incandescent beam is not all that bright outdoors. The secondary LEDs are ok for low level work like reading.

Since you say you are not interested in low power options, I would recommend the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. VERY bright, great price, durable, and ugly. Can't have it all I guess! :)

veleno

Enlightened
I'm speaking of the Streamlight Tasklight 2L Luxeon III, this one has not an incadescent bulb... or I'm in error... :confused:

I dont' like coloured led, so the Streamlight night com doesn't seem good for me.

Streamlight ProPolyper is heavier and longer, but I'll consider it.
The Nuwai seems to be quite fragile...

Now I look for the VB-16 ... I have never seen it...

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sales thread for VB-16 HERE.

If you are comparing to the Lux3 version of the TL-2L, then I think the VB-16 is price competitive. It is about (+/-$10?) the same price as the Streamlight TL-2 LED Gen2. But you get to support CPF at the same time!

I don't mean to say the TM301X-3 is 'fragile,' just that mine broke and you may have to take your chances. I may have had a bad solder on the resistor that broke. An incandescent bulb may have broken under the same conditions.

veleno

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
I don't mean to say the TM301X-3 is 'fragile,' just that mine broke and you may have to take your chances.

Ok, but I have never had chinese flashlights and it is not encouraging.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello veleno:)

I have a nuwai Alx352-L and it's a good light. Build like a tank and after a few drops it will still work.
3 stages and a lot of light:twothumbs.

Best regards

____
Tom

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the reviews the TL-2 LED 2nd gen. is a good one, and I'm interested in one also. Right now my favorite LED is a Pelican M6. It sounds like the TL-2 will just add a bit of throw. IMO one of these plus an Inova X5 just about covers it.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll jump in and say... none! You want a Surefire G2. You'll have a good amount of output, and since you say you'll always have the Inova X5, it's perfect.

In my opinion, the G2 and X5 make one of the best general use combos ever. You get a lot of light with the G2, and after the batteries are "dry," pop them in the X5 for a few more hours of light. At about $35 USD, the G2 is a good light at a great price.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Veleno,

I own the Streamlight 2L 3W luxeon light, and it has been:
1- Very reliable
2- Always bright enough for every situation outdoors I have encountered
3- Throw is very good
4- Low level is adequate and saves battery life
5- Uses RCR 123 3.0v & 3.6v rechargeables

I also have a 2nd 2L 3W as a back up, but I am still using my 1st one for over 2 years with NO PROBLEMS :)

Amazon.com sells them for around $54.00

Macaw

Enlightened
Gave a SL Tl-2 LED 2nd. Gen. to my brother. A really nice compact light with surprising throw for such a small head. I really like the tactical style tail cap. Recommended!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also highly recommend the TL-2 Gen2 LED. I have a Scorpion LED (same head, light engine, etc.) and transfer the head to my TL-2 xenon when I want to have the TL-2 body and switch. Amazing output and throw for a Lux1 (and provides more output and throw than most Lux3 lights). Side spill is a very good size and bright enough to see in pretty good detail what's around you. It also lasts almost 3hrs before output goes below 50% (which is still quite usable considering it makes about 40lms at peak), so runtime is very good also. Build, manfucturing, and machining quality is great, the textured body is better (more slip proof) and more comfortable than knurling, and the tactical switch is nice and reliable. For a 2-cell LED, the TL-2 Gen2 is a great performer for the money. For less money and the same performance, there's the Scorpion LED...different features. Personally, I'd still get the TL-2 Gen2 over the Scorpion LED even for the additional cost.