QIII Extreme Makeover

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
qiiiturbohead111iq.jpg

qiiiturbohead89zs.jpg

qiiiturbohead47xb.jpg

Hi everyone,

It has been awhile since I modded any lights. This project got started when QIII tail switch went out on me for the second time:hairpull: Finding replacement parts is very difficult, not to mention anyone in this country carries that type of switches. Now I've got two QIIIs with out working tail switch (so fragile). Instead of searching for replacement switch, I decided to go back to basic and rely on the good old Kroll. I understand that it has high internal resistance, but it is more reliable (seems that way).

I started on the drawing and a friend of mine with lathe started turning aluminum per my specifications. A week later, I received a brand new working tail piece, and not to mention more masculine looking. As one would expected, one thing leading to another. I started toying around with ideas of bigger head by using 27mm reflector. At this size, there are IMS27 or McR27. I decide to do both just to see beam quality. As for lens, I use 31mm x 2mm Schott Superwite®.

qiiiturbohead190ih.jpg

qiiiturbohead28kf.jpg

qiiiturbohead57pu.jpg

Internal modifications consist of increasing the height of heatsink form 6.8mm to 12mm to accommodate McR27. The reason is the stock light engine sits quite low into the body and must be raised high enough to get the correct focus. As a result, the black plastic retaining ring that hold down light engine has to be discarded, because there is not enough thread left for it. However, with IMS27, retaining ring is still useable because heatsink is lower in height. As for converter it remains untouched.

qiiiturbohead141ou.jpg

Overall length is just under 10cm.

qiiiturbohead202vc.jpg

Side by side comparison. Did I mentioned it is tail standing?

qiiiturbohead210wf.jpg

The size is just right. Fits nicely in your palm and better grip.

qiiiturbohead170gr.jpg

Hot spot is definately brighter and

qiiiturbohead248lo.jpg

This is taken from the second floor. The trees that you see is about 30 meters away. Throw is tremendous from the U bin with 27mm reflector :rock: Sorry for camera shakes.

I test run for 20 minutes to test heat distribution. Heat seems to be about the same level as the stock QIII. The body felt warmer than the head. Maybe due to bigger head with more aluminum to absorb heat. However, I felt that heatsink is still inadequate for hot running U bin. More heat should be up in the head area. Definitely some modification or perhaps redesign the heatsink all together should improved heat distribution. Lastly, I can't decide whether to give it anodize black or nickel plated. Anyway, I 'll post progress as it comes along.

Cheers,

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh, you've created a monster....hope you can keep it caged!!! Lots of QIII owners out there. Nice work, makes me want to get one for myself ;)

KingSmono

Enlightened
Great stuff man! Have you thought about stripping off the anodizing, so it was all bare aluminum? I think that'd look really sharp, but maybe that's just me! :) Nice job.

-Allen

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool stuff! I love my Q3...wish I had a machinist friend near me.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
KingSmono said:
Great stuff man! Have you thought about stripping off the anodizing, so it was all bare aluminum? I think that'd look really sharp, but maybe that's just me! :) Nice job.

-Allen

Yeah, I'm thinking about stripping it to get it nickel plated.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for your kind words:)

Hi Flex, I dont have McE27L but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.