Aleph 3

city cop

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Aleph 3 head with DB917 T Bin LuxIII. I know this is set up for mostly throw, but can i expect any spill ? I got it from lighthound who has been great to me.

Thanks

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a little bit, depending on how close you're using it.. it's not all hotspot, but it sure does throw..

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Love the A3 i have It gets used and abused, goes camping, on the mtn bike, down to the snow and even on the shorter trip to the garbage bin ;)

Funny that the only damage i can see so far are many fine scratches in the lens, the HA3 on the body is holding up beautifully!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an A3 and it's got plenty of spill. How are you driving it 2xCR123s? I think you'll be quite pleased. Of course if you're not you could always send it my way. :D

-LT

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some other shots:

Aleph3 LuxIII TY0J at 750mA:
OutdoorAleph3750mATY0Y.jpg

Aleph1 LuxIII TW0K at 1000mA:
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

SF KL3 gen2:
OutdoorKL3Gen2.jpg

McLuxIII-PD UX1S at 550mA (=Aleph2):
OutdoorMcLuxIII-PD.jpg

rekombiluxIII.jpg

In the end ... you get a concentrated and bright spill that gently fades into the corona ... and is much more useful than the spill of a 27mm light (Aleph1, LionHeart, Gladius, ...) because it actually throws somewhat, is brighter and is less hard on the eye ...

bernie

Last edited:

city cop

Newly Enlightened
I'm driving it with 3 123's, via VG FB3. I'm not sure I'll get the performance you get with the Tbin !

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Got my Aleph 3 ! I'm more then pleased with it. More spill then I thought, you guy's were right. Quick couple of ?'s. Is the head water proof ? and can a brain of pea's, like me, change out the Lux 3 for the Lux 5 with the set up I have?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The head should be waterproof but isn't a dive light! Rain, havy weather et al is no problem of course.

You can change out the Light Engine in one minute, even I can do it, and I have two left hands. This is the beauty of the Aleph system. The downside is that a new LE isn't exactly cheap :D.
THis means you can have someone build another LE to your wishes and you can then put it into your Aleph3 head (or any other Aleph head btw). Just make sure it matches your battery configuration ... :caution:

bernie

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole light, or just the light engine?? Either way I'd think you could get one if you contact one of the Aleph builders, Darrell or TylerDurden or soforth.. they're listed in the Aleph FAQ, and the only exception I'd think would be Chop, who isn't doing much right now as he was hit big time by the hurricanes..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If it is well maintained it *should* hold up I think, but to be very frank ... I'd rather not test my precious and expensive lights in an environment they aren't made for.
bernie

P.S.: what ACMarina said ... you can try the Shoppe or the Aleph builders: Darell, tylerdurden, Chop, kj and JollyRoger