Anyone tried the single CR123 LED Dorcy?

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
I was at Target today, looking for a (nother) 3D 1 watter and saw the Dorcy single cell 123 LED light. Cool looking little light (not nearly as cool as the SF E1L but $80.00 less). So has anyone had any experiences with this little light?

JK

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
I have one and mostly like it except that it is hard to turn on one-handed with my thumb, the clickie is recessed and the surface of the barrel smooth. Very bright, nicely made. I've tried it with rechargable rcr123 cells, but was so bright I turned it off quickly for fear of burning out the LED. It has a boost circuit.

Holland

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loaded up on three of these when Sears had them on sale
it's a bargin at $29.95 even better for $19.95!
buy it you wont regret it

onthebeam

Enlightened
If you search you'll find detailed past threads on this light. Most like it for the $$$.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also if it has a higher VF Luxeon it should handle the Rechargeables. It all comes apart with out soldering or screwdriving. Or at least they did.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
That's the one!

Yep, that's the one. Once again, you guys come through with solid information. I just didn't know the model name/number to reference it by, so sorry for the vague description. Thanks!

:goodjob:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told myself I wasn't going to buy any CR123A lights, but I always had my eye on the Dorcy Super 1 Watt. I regretted missing the Sears $20 sale on it a couple of months ago.

When I saw a Dorcy CR123A Super 1 watt flashlight for $20 a couple of days ago at Target, I relented and bought it. I like it so far, though there were a couple of minor factory quality control problems.

There was a small "ding" (spot of missing anodization) near the front bezel and an O-ring was misaligned when the bezel was screwed on at the factory. I removed the bezel, nudged the O-ring back in place, then reinstalled the bezel.

It is brighter and has a wider spill than my Coast 1w 1AA LED Lenser David 15 (model 7840). My 2AA Mini Maglite with TerraLux TLE-5 drop in is brighter and has a wider spill. So the Dorcy's light is somewhere between those other two.

My wife has an Eddie Bauer 3AAA 1 watt light resembling this Dorcy:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_luxeon.htm

Her 3AAA Eddie Bauer is brighter and the tint is whiter than my new CR123A Dorcy. Perhaps the Luxeon lottery is at play here.

The Dorcy Super 1 watt CR123A is attractive, feels solid, and I consider it a good value for the $20 I paid.

There is another review, with excellent photographs, at ImagoMetrics:

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/DRCY1W123.htm

Walt175

Enlightened
I bought one when they were on sale at Sears. I loved it and it was my EDC until I bought a Morpho 1 from Waion. If it had HAIII it would be almost perfect.

Tesla

Enlightened
GREAT light for the money. Nice, bright white near-perfect beam and reasonably compact, with good run time. I'm EDC'ing mine in my briefcase. I'm puzzled by the previous poster's comment about having difficulty using the switch on these (unless the poster has a gynormous thumb--in that case I could see it being a problem). The only thing that some (not me) see as a negative is the reverse click switch. I prefer the reverse click type switches as they virtually eliminate accidentally turning the light on in a pocket or briefcase. The light looks better to me in person than it does in pictures, too.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
I have one, I like it for the size, weight, and the good amount of light it puts out. To compare, it is roughly the same beam shape and throw as my AA Inova Radiant, although the Radiant lasts much longer runtime.

My Dorcy sees about 2.5 hrs before I change the battery.

Regards,

dragoman

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Tenergy 3.0V R123s. I've only had this light for about 2 weeks, but the batteries seem to work well with it.

TaskMaster said:
Which rechargeables would you guys use with this?

TaskMaster

Newly Enlightened
What kind of runtime do you get with those batteries? I was thinking about that battery kit and I was wondering how well these batteries hold their chage (for how long)?

Thanks

colubrid

Enlightened
I bought one from Target about 5 days ago. Have been using rechargables in it and WOW:goodjob: . It is bright. Not sure if this will hurt the LED but its lasted thus far.

I have a question about the clicky. Mine seems very light. The click is hardly audible and its does not have the feel of an normal clicky because it so easy to push................
Is this the norm for the Dorcy super 1 watt? Or do I need to return mine?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I recently placed an RCR123 with 3.77V unloaded in my light and no ill effects SO far.

As to holding and activating it: I have pretty big paws. If I try and hold the light with fingers and push the button with thumb, I can't always push it enough. Also I don't hold it nearly as steady with just fingers.

When I pinch it between my thumb and fingers 2,3 and 4 it is QUITE steady, and I have no problem activating it with finger #1.

I put Sport Tape on mine from just under the scalloped ring on the head to the tailcap gap. It's WAY easier to hold!

old4x4

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up 2 of them for building a bike light for my 11:30 PM commute home from work. Target- $19.95 each. The damned 3W bike lights are 100 dollars plus. No way. I'm going to mount them to the bike tonite and give 'em a whirl.