Nite Ize D&C Upgrade 1st Impression:

dca2

Enlightened
If all are of the same quality as the one I picked up at Target ($9.99), don't waste the time to pick one up if you don't have the time to return it :thumbsdow My old Pluto the dog pocket flashlight with the flip cap switch had a brighter beam! I can not even justify taking the time for a beamshot. I would need to get out the tripod and figure out how to shoot a looonnng exposure. Seriously, the beam barely put a noticeable spot on a white room with ambient light at 12 feet. My naked eye says it was not even 1/2 as bright as the stock Mag bulb. I will be returning it tomorrow.

Dave

greenLED

Flashaholic
This may sound silly, but are you using the number of cells it's designed for? Is it really a 5mm LED PR? or a 10mm? Pics of the module would be nice to have, please. I can live without beamshots, thankyouverymuch. :)

not2bright

Enlightened
dca2,

Thank you for saving me from the sheer disappointment of another craptacular illumination product.

I had one in my hand and thankfully I put it back on the peg.

carrot

Flashaholic
Brightness isn't everything you know...

If runtime is good, it'd probably be useful for blackouts. And I'd put one in my craptacular 4AA incandescent lantern for better runtime.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 10mm LED. I bought one today and it's going back at the earliest opportunity. I can see no point in lugging something as big and heavy as a Mag just to get this small an amount of illumination. I tried it in both 2D and 3D Mags and there was no difference in brightness. With either light it drew 67mA.

MVC-025F.jpg

Last edited:

dca2

Enlightened
greenLED said:
This may sound silly, but are you using the number of cells it's designed for?
Package says 2-6 cells. I put it in a stock 2D and 3D Mag w/ fresh alkies. Both gave the exact same beam. The package quotes runtimes that increase w/ each increase in #cells.

Sorry for the quality, these are from my cellphone. Someone in my house, not me :whistle:, misplaced my camera cable. If I can suck them off of my digi. camera, I will put up the better pics. The dome is solid acrylic and I believe it uses a 10mm.

04-11-06_2014.jpg
04-11-06_2013.jpg
04-11-06_2012.jpg

Topper

Flashaholic*
OK so what does that mean to a guy like me? Is it as bright as a ARC AAA (a rather dim light to me) running on 2 or 3 D or C cells giving it like a two year run time? I really want to know because not bright (as in lights) is not always a bad thing sometimes run time is best even if at low power for me anyway.
Topper :)

dca2

Enlightened
Hey Nikon, I've got to learn to type faster!

carrot said:
Brightness isn't everything you know...

If runtime is good, it'd probably be useful for blackouts. And I'd put one in my craptacular 4AA incandescent lantern for better runtime.

I have lamda's SMJLED PR 2 cell light bulb in a 2D Mag and it is very bright, has good throw, good sidespill, maintains focus ability (as dose the niteize, for what its worth) and should have a comparable runtime http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108856

I don't think you would get much light from the side of the bulb if that is what your lantern depends on.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in Madison Wisconson and picked one up and a cheepie 2AA Contractor light from the Bunny company (Energizer). Donut city!!. It might be good for a small purpose light with a proper reflector. I will put it in a camp light when I get home that has been begging me to make a 10mm lamp to replace the incandescent one it shipped with. Time will tell.

Not really a luxeon but has anyone tried popping the thing out and replacing it yet?

10mm LED's aren't all that from what I remember being bantered around here previously. Or am I in a coffee induced haze???????

skillet

Enlightened
This is the only way to modify a 2D Mag with a NiteIze option...

IMG_0390sm.jpg

This is G R E A T for close up work.. I used it Monday night to hunt for morels in the dark..

Gordon aka:skillet

skillet

Enlightened
He who would pun, would pick a pocket...

Yes the Mushroom, bigfoot, shrooms, half free's, cow's heads, and my daddy called 'em "wildfish" as do I..

But dont question me about all this.. I don't have the answers even though I am a fun gi..

Gordon aka:skillet

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my 2 are in the truck with receipt for return too. As Pellidon said, donut city in my ROV 2D industrial. Can be focussed in a Mag, but less light with 3 cells than the PR base SMJLED with 2 cells, which seems to give great beams in just about anything with a reflector on it. Can't find a use for this, even if it wasn't ten bucks a shot. Maybe the Mag upgrades will be worth a shot, but I hear they are more $$$. Bring on the IQ switches, they have to be better!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the need is for an emergency light with some decent run time, the Nite Ize module might hold some potential for that purpose though one would need to know what kind of run time to expect.

Personally, I had no use for it and returned the one that I tried. If I had waited a day or so, I probably could have saved myself the trouble of trying it out (I doubt it though, I probably would have still tried it out :) ).

greenLED said:
Thank you for the pics, gentlemen.
Maybe a good emergency light then?

Latest posts