Dang! I dropped my flashlight.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Last night I dropped my E2E on the hardwood floor, not a hard fall but it hit pretty good. Now the light pattern is weird. It has a ragged look with a kind of light tail off to one side. the reflector is not removable like my 9P and I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove it. I think it may have been knocked off center a bit. The light works fine I just notice that something changed. Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Was it lit when you dropped it? If yes, it's more likely that the filament bent or got misshapen than the reflector misaligned. To get such white light, a filament has to be run near its melting point, but that makes it more susceptible to being misshapen. It's a delicate balance.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
No Carrot it was off. I had it on my lap and got up and forgot it was there. It lights fine and at a distance it is not a problem but it bugs me now.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Okay i just switched bulbs to see if that was it and the other bulb doesn't have the problem so maybe i did bend a filament. I wouldn't have thought that such a small, light thing would move but perhaps it did. Thanks for the help!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC you can sometimes re-align your filament by a little judicious whacking opposite the side of the deformity, with the light off of course.

-LT

Protaeus

Enlightened
it was probably just bad luck that the filament got bent. I wouldnt have thought that would happen either and I've personally never had it happen to me, even after dropping the light.

I suppose thats why the millenium series has the shock isolation bezel..... The mount for the lamp actually swivels around so that if you drop the light or bump it, the mount moves and not the filament :)

It bugs me a little, cos sometimes if my M4 has been sitting in my bag and I've just run for a train, the lamp is sometimes off centre. However, the beam doesnt really change, I just like a straight LA :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the same thing with my magcharger a while back. Bugged me enough to toss the bulb and get another. Sometimes I think I'm too fussy for my wallet's good <grin>.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I think I'll just live with it the way it is for now. I tend to over-analyze things when I have nothing better to do. I don't really want to whack it anymore, that got me in trouble the first time. Thanks

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh, did you put back the odd bulb in the flashlight? Is it at all possible that the bulb itself shifted out of place? Just wondering.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I did try removing and re-installing the bulb and it was the same. I got another bulb and it is better so I have a spare now. I don't think the problem is the light but just the bulb.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of years ago I dropped the same light on my concrete driveway and the only damage was a chip on the lens...

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i did that with a g2 the filament got misalinged in the bulb now the beam shape is rather tear dropped to on side i traded that g2 mis alinged and all for a 6p and a e2e witha friend of mine in spec ops he can get the lights for free so it was a good trade