Flashaholics: A serious question...

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just curious. I mean nothing sexist about this question in any way, but does flashaholism affect men and women equally, or one more than the other? It seems to me that I know more men that like lights than women, although I have met a few women that like them too. My wife likes my lights as well as her own, just not nearly as much as I do. She has the SF E1e, the G2, and the 6P in gunmetal, a UK Sunlight 6 as well as a 5 LED off name light that she likes a lot. What do you guy and gal CPF'ers think?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I think due to society (or other things), it is deeply ingrained into our heads that tools are boys' toys and not meant for girls. But I've found many females who appreciate a good, useful tool or gadget.

I'm probably making a horrible, terrible generalization here, but I think females tend to be more "practical" about a tool or gadget or anything of the sort (ignoring fashion... but there are practical things there too). And since many people don't have (or acknowledge) a real day to day need for a flashlight, they (females especially) see no reason to have so many.

Hmm, I'm not so sure I made a clear point, but... :shrug:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I tend to agree with carrot, I think guys are in general more gadget oriented. My wife carries an E1L and an ARC AAA, but I know she doesn't appreciate them like I do. (I never see her pull them out and play with them like I do)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Like so many things I think the difference in gadget appreciation is equal parts of nature and nurture, which are greatly variable in themselves. Carrot's probably right about women being more "practical" in general. My wife certainly is. On the other hand, I can be downright silly about my toys.

Geoff

wuyeah

Enlightened
Girls are more "practical!!" Oh, you guys are silly~ Take a look at their shoes, cosmetic, clothes......list goes on.

Girls are more attracted to art & beauty; Guys sees technology as beauty.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mrs. enjoys her gadgets as well. In her case, she mentions what she may be interested in and allows me to find the details online. Like her kitchen appliances...I did the research to find them and she reaps the benefits of it. (Well, I do get some benefit because without them, I'd be awfully skinny. :p )

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
My wife just calls me a weirdo. But at least she smiles when she says it.:) And she sure doesn't hesitate to grab a light when she needs one.

mdocod

Flashaholic
My fiance apreciates my hobby, and has even helped my work on some custom projects (see sig).. but she doesn't apreciate the enourmous amount of time I spend browsing these forums!!(instead of spending time with her cuddled up watching a movie)... She carries 2 flashlights in her purse (that I gave to her) and she absolutally loves them, and gets great use out of them on a very regular basis...

As far as practicality traits go, I think both men and women have weak spots. I am paying big bucks for parts to lift my truck, while she buys very "expensive" facial clensers that I see no need for.

We buy different things, and roll our eyes at eachother all the time for them, but we both see eachothers strenghts and weaknesses, and have come to realize, how different the male/female drive really is. I buy a socket set or power tool, she buys some clothes and shoes. We each see our own investment as usefull, but we look at eachothers investment is bizzare... We are all wired differently.

Rob187

Enlightened
When my other half complains about my latest acquisition, I point out her china cabinet full of (in my opinion) useless and expensive glasses, vases, figurines, etc, etc.

I'd say there is a definite gender distinction in what we collect...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZeSpectre's rule #2
Most Women want to be independent and equal...until the car needs repairs.
(Corollary to rule #2)
Most Women will never think about the related repair parts and tools until they are needed...at which time they will hand the repair task off to the nearest available male who, being testosterone driven, will grunt, scratch, and then at least attempt to fix the damn thing.

Okay, that was written with tongue firmly in cheek, but I think that Women tend to think in "wholes" (a car, a house) and men tend to think in "parts" (tires, battery, couch, chair).

So what does this have to do with the question??? Well my wife, for example, thinks in "wholes" and really never pauses to consider that you will eventually need to...
A) repair the car
B) That requires parts and tools
c) Like Flashlights and headlamps to see what you are doing.

---Hrmmm, I'm still not sure I made my point here :ohgeez:

dim

Enlightened
It's said that about the same number of men and women use the 'Net. However, the way that they use it are very different. Women will usually have either a specific destination or search for something specific, find it, get information about it and logoff. Men, on the other hand, can stay online for unproductive hours as they meander from site to site. In other words, "Did you look it up, dear?" "Um...I forgot.".

Aside from people being unique individuals, each, with there own dreams and purpose, if a conclusion can be drawn from this, I think that, generally and despite conventional wisdom, women are more practical and time efficient while men just wanna have fun with their toys.

Have you ever seen a women purposely shine a flashlight in her own eyes or strike a cow bell for no reason?

dim

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
My wife is a pyromaniac. She loves candles, flame lanterns, and a fire.

She would rather carry a lighter for her EDC, but I have convinced her that a flashlight fits better on her key chain, and is more practical... :)

In addition to my collection of of lights and batteries, we also have a 30 day (that's 24 hours a day burn time) supply of candles, just in case the lights go out.

Tom

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
(smirk) That's more like a 90-day supply then, unless you live in one of the extremes. Or a cave.

dca2

Enlightened
My 2 boys PLAY with their lights every night (3 counting me). My 2 girls USE their headlamps to read in bed.

tron3

Banned
Women are just wired differently. Period. Though some go on to enjoy techie toys. Plenty of guys are all thumbs when it comes to gadgets.

"When people ask me what kind of car I drive I tell them, I drive a red car." -Rita Rudner

Padge

Newly Enlightened
Sturluson said:
I'm a man of more than a few years, so I can say this from experience: girls grow up, but boys never really do. It's that simple.

That's not completely true. After all the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.... :grin2:

OwlEyez

Newly Enlightened
A little female perspective: I get my gadget fascination from my Dad. With 2 daughters and no son he had to pass it along to one of us. My flashlights, first and foremost, have to perform. Quality is important. Second criteria: must look nice and feel good in my hand. Asthetics always weigh in pretty heavy with my gadgets.

Admission: I now own mini m@gs in Pink & Purple! Think I could get Surefire to make me something in Purple?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen Al's signature?? There's purple Surefires out there, but you're gonna have to hunt a pay a premium.. unless the Winelight would work for you, they're not QUITE as hard to find..