Need L5 Rechargeables: Best 6-9v Solution?

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
I found some RCR123A rechargeable at Batterystation. Evidently, they're the same size as a CR123A and are rated at 3.6v @ 900mAh (they come off the charger at 4.2v). It seems like these have more voltage & capacity when compared to a single 17670 (which replaces two CR123A's).

Am I correct in assuming that two RCR123A's would initially provide 8.4v @ 900mAh? While a single 17670 would only provide 3.7v @ 1600mAh?

I'll be specifically using the rechargeable in the L5, which Surefire has stated it does fine @ 9v (three-cell configurations), so there's no worries about over-driving the LED (as is the case with the L4).

Finally, are there any other 2-cell rechargeable solutions that will get me into the voltage & mAh range offered by the either rechargeable mentioned above?

Edit: Found the HDS 3.6v @ 750mAh kit at Lighthound. How do these compare to the 3.6v @ 900mAh ones at Batterystation?

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/hds_rechargeable_battery_kit.htm

http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
txaggiel
yes, according to the forum and surefire, the L5 will live happily on 9 volts
however, its not a matter of overdriving the LED as its a matter of over driving the converter board supplying voltage to the LED.
with the L4, the convertor is only rated to 6 volts, anymore will kill the convertor.
as i understand it, the more amps the batteries has, the longer run time it has
hope this helps
des

falconz

Newly Enlightened
I am kinda doubtful that a single 3.6V R123 can have a capacity of up to 900mah. They usually perform up to 600+mah. Alot of R123 manufacturers overclaim their specs. 2 x R123 would be 8.4 V total when initially fresh off the charger but will actually perform at ~7.2V under load.
Yeah I tried 2 x R123 in my L5, it is slightly brighter than 2 x CR123 primary cells.