Stock profile M@g reflector vs FM2 reflector. (Ceiling bounce data)

Delvance

Enlightened
I was curious as to how much these new reflectors with the small opening actually increase the output of light vs the standard stock profile metal M@g reflectors.

Tested two reflectors...
Did a ceiling bounce test in my room, battery state unimportant.

*standard position = When the head/reflector is focused best for throw, with these FM2 reflectors, the best throw spot/adjustment is actually when the cam wheel is at the shortest length of the cam. This is ideal as this is the setting where the bulb can sit highest in the reflector for less light loss.

Test 1 - FM2 LOP, standard position*
Lux = 44.2

Test 2 - Fivemega's Metal LOP M@glite dimesion reflector, set to full flood mode-no light loss out the back (the bulb holder/screw ring touches the edge of the reflector opening)
Lux= 42.4

Test 3 - Same reflector as used in test 2 BUT focused it as best i can (using the cam mechanism) for throw/hotspot.
Lux = 35.1

So there we have it...not only do these new low loss reflectors improve output, they *significantly* improve the output of our hotwires. 35.1 to 44.2, that is over 20% extra output. Well worth the upgrade if you're still running the old 15mm opening reflectors.

Test was conducted with a ROP.
-UCL
-2S2P 18650, low resistance config
-Full switch fix
-Cells at about 85-90% charge
-3854 H lamp

Note: Different lamps behave differently in different reflectors. I remember reading on another thread how a WA lamp responded really well to a Modamag M2 reflector but the ROP did not.

Note 2: After observing how the M@g-copy reflector gave much more output when in flood mode. I did the test with my RS623 light. Focused, it gave a 164 lux reading, and full flood gave me 174 lux...not much increase with this lamp, but it's a T4 based lamp. Filament size and bulb size seems to affect light output of a torch too.

Last edited: