inova t5 vs. t4

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard a couple members make passing comments that their t5 has a better beam than the t4. Is this true? I do not like my t4 for a number of reasons, including a blue-purple beam and no sidespill. If the t5's beam is whiter and brighter, I may want one. The thought of a 50+ lumen light with three hours regulated runtime apeals to me...I also like the stout body on my t4.

Any advice from t5 owners would be appreciated.

Delvance

Enlightened
The colour of your beam just comes down to the luxeon lottery. It's pretty much...totally random, unless you buy your own and place that into the torch. AFAIW, the optic setup in the T5 and the T4 are exactly the same, and i remember reading that the T5 should be a little brighter than the T4 from an INOVA pdf.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad more manufactures do not offer a gaurenteed tint for a little extra money...I think a lot of people would pay it.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
woodrow said:
...I do not like my t4 for a number of reasons, including a blue-purple beam and no sidespill. ....

As others have pointed out, your Inova T4 may have lost the Luxeon lottery. My T4 is one of the whitest lights I own. Bought it new about one month ago.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Delvance & parnass for letting me know about the led lottery. I ordered a t5 this today from brightguy and I should have it on fri. I offered pay an extra 15 bucks for them to pick one with a very white beam from their inventory. Tina told me the boxes were sealed.

Here's to the lottery...I will let you know.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the t5 today. Thanks Brightguy for fast shipping. It is longer than the t4 (arround 1&1/2") and about an ounce heavier. It is also BRIGHTER? I got "lucky" in the luxeon lottery this time and the beam is white. But it also has a slightly wider or at least more noticable spillbeam, and it apears 15% brighter. I am sorry I do not have a light meter yet.

At least I can say I am happy with my purchase. It will be nice to have a decently bright and good throwing light that costs a little over a buck an hour to run with regular 123's.
grinser2.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the T4.
Mine is very white I also have the other T series lights and only my T2 is bluish.