We still can't get a G2 tailcap separately?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need just the tailcap for a black G2 I have sitting here. I'd really like to get it from Surefire, but is there anywhere else I can get it?

I have this black G2Z tailcap that I've been trying to take apart so I can change out the rubber button which is worn. It has the hex nut in it and I just CANNOT get it apart! I've tried unscrewing it, holding the core while I unscrew it, yanking it, it just wont come undone! Any advice?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevermind about the G2Z tailcap, I just got it undone! You have to hold the "actual" button thats under the rubber boot and then turn the hex nut.....sweet. Replaced the boot (sacrifice from another tailcap) put it back together, and viola`! A "new" tailcap for my G2. I does fit fine but you have to either move the one o-ring to the groove near the end so it gets covered better by the tailcap, or simply put another o-ring for better protection.

I still would like to get a real G2 LOTC though....

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
That I'm aware of there are no plans (never have been) to release the G2 LOTC as an accessory.
The cost would be a significant percentage of a whole G2. The G2 is about $33 and a Z41 LOTC is about $15. The price isn't just the parts and assembly - it has been made additionally to whole flashlights and has an infrastructure to support etc. I can't see a G2 LOTC being sold for less than $15.

I have a number of G2's and obviously wanted to upgrade them all with LOTC's but now I have them as spare parts. The G2 is so cost effective they're almost worth buying just as storage for a pair of SF123As and a P60 lamp (imho)

Al

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The funny thing is, a while back I emailed Surefire that very question and someone replied that they WERE for sale for $12.95. When I called a few days later to order one, they didn't know what I was talking about.....

I wonder who makes the rubber boots for them? I'd like to get a bunch....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Interesting...

As for the rubber switch boots. They are designed to be grippy and will 'bald' through use. As such like vehicle tires they will need to be replaced.

If you call SureFire and ask to speak to somebody in Tech Support they may be able to find a few spare switch boots if they have some in a box sitting in a corner. I'm not saying it's possible but it may be worth asking just in case.

Al

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hmm?

Al, If you are saying that the tailcap rubbers on all Surefires are going to need replacing then presumably Surefire will foot the bill under warranty? Alternatively they should at least provide the switch rubbers as spares. Is it unreasonable for a consumer who has bought a Surefire light expecting it to last as long as possible to not be able to keep it serviceable?

Doug

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't know about that Doug. You can't reasonably expect the boots to last forever and certainly no sane person would expect Surefire to keep replacing them on lights that they've sold. I think Al was just suggesting that I contact them and see if I could "score" some freebie ones....

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they are, but you're not guaranteed to get one since you're not always buying *New* when you buy a light.. it could be NOS..

Size15's

Flashaholic
You don't expect the vehicle manufacturer to supply you with tires or brake pads when you've worn them out do you?

The rubber used for the switch boots and tape pressure switches is designed to provide good grip and will wear out with use. My A2 TailCap boot is bald, as are the boots on several other flashlights I use all the time.

Before SureFire invented the LockOut TailCap the tailcap components were not attached together and the boots were easy to switch out. Now-a-days with the TailCaps being assembled and sealed (to stop water/dust etc getting in) the whole TailCap will need to be replaced if you want/need a new boot.

The Z41 LockOut TailCap is about $15 I believe. But since the G2 is only a little over double that (and less than the cost of a Clickie TailCap) I guess SureFire figure if you get another G2 you also get a pair of batteries and spare lamp, and a new bezel (and body) so you're not really loosing out.

Because the rubber boot of the G2 TailCap does not have a model code (like a Z number) it can not be purchased. However, Tech Support people may have a box of useful parts and will know more about the details of products compared to a regular customer service rep who may just say it's not possible. I didn't mean to imply you'll get it for free because that's not my call but you've more chance of finding somebody at SureFire who may be able to help with such an inquiry if you talk to Tech Support.

Al

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I don't expect ANY manufacturer to replace FOC any parts which are liable to wear. I do expect that the option to replace those parts at my cost does! Fortunately, AFAIK, Surefire does offer that facility? It just seems wasteful that you have to replace the whole G2 if you can't obtain a part which can't cost that much to make.

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
It took over forty battery sets and a lot of use to wear the 'knurls' bald on my A2. I did that in a few months of field-testing.
If you buy a new G2 after forty battery changes that's likely a few years or longer for the majority of G2 users.

Al

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
I believe they are, but you're not guaranteed to get one since you're not always buying *New* when you buy a light.. it could be NOS..

Can you tell by looking at them? One of my favorite gun shops has the G2 at a good price for a b&m store, but the lights are in plastic clamshells. The packaging didn't mention a LOTC so I didn't buy one. I thought the tailcap looked a little longer than on my G2, but I didn't have it to compare. The guys in that store are great for gun info, but know less than I do about the knives and flashlights they sell.

carrot

Flashaholic
Alloy Addict said:
Can you tell by looking at them? One of my favorite gun shops has the G2 at a good price for a b&m store, but the lights are in plastic clamshells. The packaging didn't mention a LOTC so I didn't buy one. I thought the tailcap looked a little longer than on my G2, but I didn't have it to compare. The guys in that store are great for gun info, but know less than I do about the knives and flashlights they sell.

Yes, you can tell. I actually ended up with two G2's, one lockout and one not (the non-LOTC version is pretty neat, though) and the tailcap is longer on the new one. The LOTC also seems to fit on the older G2 as well.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Hey! KDOG,

I make loads of things or can improvise but casting rubber boots for Surefires is a bit beyond me or I'd have sent you some.

I still think it's a pity that you can't buy them? I know Surefire is way beyond Maglite performance wise but at least you can get hold of rubber switch covers for the humble Maglite, and that sells for less than a G2!

Doug

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Well, I don't know about that Doug. You can't reasonably expect the boots to last forever and certainly no sane person would expect Surefire to keep replacing them on lights that they've sold. I think Al was just suggesting that I contact them and see if I could "score" some freebie ones....

Surefire warranty is pretty clear. everything but batteries and lamps. that would include tailcap boots.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Thanks Carrot, that's the kind of answer I was hoping to hear. I'll just make sure the tail cap is longer than the one on my old G2. Since the G2 is my primary by the bed and "where's the dog" light I like not having the LOTC. I would carry it a lot more, or put a couple in the cars, with the LOTC.

I will add that I find it disappointing that a company would sell a "tool" and not offer some way of repairing it, especially if it is a current model. Maybe Surefire should take a cue from Fenix and start adding extra O-rings and switch boots with their lights.