Self-Defense with Only a Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
CPFers,

Please forgive the ancillary self-promotion (moderators, please let me know if I am violating any rules). My new book, Flashlight Fighting, is now available from Paladin Press...

...and I am attempting to determine just how many people out there who are NOT self-defense exponents, martial artists, or other "tactical" types -- meaning, people who are simply "into" flashlights -- would have any interest in such a text (mine or someone else's). Can you give me some input and your opinions on the concept, please?

Thanks in advance.

greenLED

Flashaholic
...well... you asked:

Hyping the use of flashlights for self-defense among non-tactical gear heads is silly and it's time you guys stopped the nonsense. I'm not saying they can't be used for that purpose, I'm saying that, for those who are not familiar with even the most simple principles of self-awareness and personal safety, touting a flashlight will not give them an edge over an assailant. In fact, the light can be (easily) taken away and used *against* them by a determined attacker, or it may give them a false sense of security, which may lead them to get themselves in an unwanted situation. Doesn't matter how many books you (or others) write about the topic, that fact is not going to change.

For a flashlight to be used as tactical tool (either for defense, awareness, hand-to-hand combat, linked to a firearm, etc.), you must at least have the proper mindset and adequate (and constant) training. "Regular" people interested in the concept? Probably a few but learning self-defense from a book is like thinking you can fly a plane because you read a book about how they work. Again, it may lead some people to think they're safe from harm just because they carry a flashlight somewhere inside their pack.

On the other hand, there's probably good material in your book for those who are interested. Writing a book is a very serious mental exercise in synthesizing your knowledge and intelligently sharing it with others. Congratulations for your publication.

Dustin Liu

Banned
I am currenty a First Brown Belt in the skill of karate.

And, Yes my karate master does teach us in flashlight defense:touche:

So, yes flashlight defense does help in the dark.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! Given the demographics of most web forums, it would would probably be better to promote something that would make participants more aware of potentially dangerous situations, and how they should exercise discretion and avoid those situations. Even it's use with trained public safety employees is only marginally effective. Such a publication would have to be a contender for the world's shortest book. :D

EDIT I almost made some comment about a publication of this nature sounds like something that would come from Paladin Press ... Then I looked at the JPEG on the initial posting! :) ... honest! I didn't look at it earlier.
I'll bet the web has done wonders in increasing sales for that vendor.

greenLED said:
Hyping the use of flashlights for self-defense among non-tactical gear heads is silly and it's time you guys stopped the nonsense.

Last edited:

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
...I'm saying that, for those who are not familiar with even the most simple principles of self-awareness and personal safety, touting a flashlight will not give them an edge over an assailant.

The principles are really very simple; while you cannot simply hand someone a Minimag and say, "There, you're safe now," I believe a little knowledge and a little awareness is better than no knowledge and no awareness.

In fact, the light can be (easily) taken away and used *against* them by a determined attacker,

The argument, "It will just be taken away from you" is used to dismiss the carry of just about any weapon. I think people who say this don't stop to think just how hard it is truly to disarm someone who is tightly holding something with which he is also beating you.

or it may give them a false sense of security, which may lead them to get themselves in an unwanted situation.

That is a danger with all self-defense implements and tools, however. There are people who buy guns thinking them to be magic wands, who then get themselves into trouble because they don't think they have to behave with simple common sense anymore.

Doesn't matter how many books you (or others) write about the topic, that fact is not going to change.

Respectfully, this is like saying that no amount of education will ever stop people from being stupid. You have to start somewhere.

For a flashlight to be used as tactical tool (either for defense, awareness, hand-to-hand combat, linked to a firearm, etc.), you must at least have the proper mindset and adequate (and constant) training.

I would dispute this. It doesn't take hours of training or some sort of constant, unceasing ninja outlook to learn to drive a short rod of metal into someone's face. It does take some training, yes, but anyone can learn the basics in a relatively short amount of time.

"Regular" people interested in the concept? Probably a few but learning self-defense from a book is like thinking you can fly a plane because you read a book about how they work. Again, it may lead some people to think they're safe from harm just because they carry a flashlight somewhere inside their pack.

I would hope it would get them started and give them ideas for future study, while providing them with the basics of a simple concept that anyone can apply.

On the other hand, there's probably good material in your book for those who are interested. Writing a book is a very serious mental exercise in synthesizing your knowledge and intelligently sharing it with others. Congratulations for your publication.

Thank you. The book does contain sections on awareness, body mechanics, and other self-defense basics that are applicable to anything (not just flashlights), so I truly do believe beginners and "regular people" would find it of use. I wrote this book keeping in mind that I would want to be able to give it to, say, any member of my family who knew nothing else about self-defense.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Phil,
Thank you for taking the time to comment my post. I'll have to qualify/add some of what I said before and you commented on:

PhilElmore said:
... I believe a little knowledge and a little awareness is better than no knowledge and no awareness.
I agree, some knowledge is better than none, and it's great that you're trying to share this knowledge with the public. However, going from reading a book to implementing that knowledge in a stress situation (when most people tend to freeze) takes a couple of steps. Further training and practice (however simple it may be) is still necessary. Your book is indeed a valuable tool but people shouldn't stop there and think they're immune (which is what I see hapenning with certain products being hyped as the ultimate defensive tools - that's what I meant by stopping the nonsense).

PhilElmore said:
The argument, "It will just be taken away from you" is used to dismiss the carry of just about any weapon. I think people who say this don't stop to think just how hard it is truly to disarm someone who is tightly holding something with which he is also beating you.
It may be hard, but it's possible, and it happens. Case in hand: One of my wife's coworkers (tall, strong, sporty kinda guy) was almost beaten to death when he tried to quiet down a group of people having a party next door. Their weapon of choice: the guy's 3D Maglite. Yup, the same one he thought he could use as a club when they jumped on him. That doesn't mean people shouldn't carry defense tools; if you know how to use them, the better you are.

PhilElmore said:
There are people who buy guns thinking them to be magic wands, who then get themselves into trouble because they don't think they have to behave with simple common sense anymore.
Exactly. Knowledge is power and can mean safety for some people. Improper use of the little knowledge you gain can lead to unexpected situations, though. "Carrying" doesn't mean you're 100% safe. It's great that you're trying to raise people's awareness.

To tie back to your original question about target audience: By the time someone (a "regular" person - no training) picks up your book or becomes interested in gaining defensive training, something has already clicked inside their heads. They're not "regular" anymore. A text describing simple techniques may well be useful for them... with all the caviats that un-interiorized knowledge will bring for them. Hopefully they are made aware of these caviats by someone.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phil, I've always found your reviews to be top-notch.. I'm not a big fan of using a flashlight as my only means of defense (last ditch effort before kicking and screaming) but they definately play into my other training. I'd pick up a copy just for insight and varied points of view..

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
"Can you give me some input and your opinions on the concept, please?"

I'm new here and maybe I should just keep my mouth shut but like the man said, you asked!

I think its such a simple concept it borders on being a no-brainer and anyone with any interest or aptitude for the subject could probably figure it out for themselves pretty fast. If there was anything they couldn't figure out, they could probably find more information with a google search than they would ever want to know. There doesn't seem to be any really good reason to buy your book.

"I am attempting to determine just how many people out there who are NOT self-defense exponents, martial artists, or other "tactical" types -- meaning, people who are simply "into" flashlights -- would have any interest in such a text (mine or someone else's)."

That's kind of wierd. I mean, most people would try to find out if there was any interest before they wrote the book, not after it was published. I'd think the sales figures would tell you a lot more than posting about it here.

Besides, Paladin?

Getting published by Paladin is like "scoring" with the ugliest prostitute in town. You can do it all you like but don't expect anybody to be impressed!
:crackup:

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
We are a varied bunch of people here. Yes, there are some here who are just into flashlights but based upon the number of LEOs and military who post and also the large number who mentioned weapons in the "whats in your pocket" and similar threads we have a bunch of people who do carry weapons. The use of a flashlight for defense either as a sole weapon or in combination with other weapons may be of great interest to SOME of us.
jc

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
Buster Bodine said:
That's kind of wierd. I mean, most people would try to find out if there was any interest before they wrote the book, not after it was published. I'd think the sales figures would tell you a lot more than posting about it here.

That's not the point. I know there is interest in the book among people who are interested in self-defense; I'm curious as to how many "normal" people might be made "not normal" because of the flashlight hook.

Besides, Paladin?

Getting published by Paladin is like "scoring" with the ugliest prostitute in town. You can do it all you like but don't expect anybody to be impressed!

Have you published many books, then? I'd be interested in contacting your editor for his advice on better venues.

Phil, I've always found your reviews to be top-notch.. I'm not a big fan of using a flashlight as my only means of defense (last ditch effort before kicking and screaming) but they definately play into my other training. I'd pick up a copy just for insight and varied points of view..

Thank you! :)

The use of a flashlight for defense either as a sole weapon or in combination with other weapons may be of great interest to SOME of us.

That is my hope. I am grateful for the feedback received so far.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
I think this is a great idea! Perfect for "ordinary folks" who just want an idea of what things they can do with a flashlight.

I like your reviews. They're awesome.

My favorites are your facial expressions. They're priceless! LOL!

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Phil, just how big a boy are ya. I wouldn't mess with you even with a 6 D cell maglite in my hand.

All joking aside.......I would not be interested in a publication on that subject. I will not state my reasons because then this post would become better suited for a forum of a different subject involving the 2nd amendment. (As I don my flame retardant pajamas).

Good luck with your book.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Phil,

Personally I look forward to your take on Flashlight defense. I will look into your book.

A flashlight is a tool, and can be used in multiple ways to deter an assault (checking ahead for baddies, not looking like a victim type, etc) to improving your odds if an assault occurs (a moment of advantage gained with a flash to the eyes, a more powerful punch with the flashlight in the fist, or as a striking device, etc...). I'll take any advantage I can get. If the flashlight helps, I'll use it. If a handful of sand to the face provides the edge, then so be it.

There are many other tools that improve ones odds of assault prevention or self defense: Awareness of your surroundings, don't look like a victim, staying out of bad situations and locations, pepper spray, batons/maglites, knives, firearms, etc. All fill a niche. Many work together in a continuum of force allowing for escalation to any/all that improve your chances. Take a look at a police officers belt these days. Nuff said.

If I am able to carry more powerful defense tools and the flashlight gives me that brief moment to bring them to bear, then it is of great value.

The unfortunate reality of today's world is, many simple/practical methods of self defense have been removed as options to the citizens. Pepper spray, knives, and firearms are simply not options for most/many folks. Walking out to my car carrying my knife or gun in my hand in a ready position will get me a ride in a police car, a strip search, some cool striped jammies, and a cell mate named Bubba.

An appropriate flashlight can be carried in your hand without a second look. I can quickly survey my car before entering or light up the shadows if something looks suspicious. It is legal in schools, airports, and all manner of public places that limit all other self defense/prevention tools.

If the worst happens, I would much rather have a small tube of metal in my fist, than an empty fist. If a flashlight provides an advantage to those that have been denied other methods of defense, then I am all for it.

The flashlight isn't a super weapon, or the solution to all bad guy problems. But, to pretend they are useless or can play no roll in self defense/deterrence is in my opinion ignorant. Also, any tool in the hands of a fool can be useless or dangerous. That said, I don't want my information or options limited because of the lowest common denominators in our society.

TR

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some of you folks are being a little hard on Phil. I mean, I _hate_ the hyping up of "tactical flashlight" combat by Surefire, et al, but there are different sides to it. The crap usually brought up is all about blinding your attacker into helplesness and then deanimating (credit Dork Ops for the best "mall ninja" word ever) him with your uber-tactical crenelated strike bezel. This stuff strikes (no pun intended) me as 99% marketing BS and I can't stand it, or the folks who get hooked into it.

However, yawara-based fighting is a rather old and established martial art. Your average yawara is a metal cylinder about 6-8" long. A small flashlight works well in a pinch. Now, I haven't read Phil's book but I would expect it to be mostly geared towards that kind of thing. That's fine by me, although without knowing more about it I'd think that previous books dealing with these methods of combat would do.

On top of that, you also have all the other methods of fighting that involve flashlights in a secondary manner. Shooting techniques, weapon lights and illumination, etc.

Of course no book is going to turn someone into a self defense master. But you can learn from one, along with proper training and practice.

Oh yeah, given a choice I'd much rather have a weapon in a fight than not, even if there was a chance of heaving it taken from me.

For Buster: Any idea what it's like to get a book with an oddball topic published? You just don't walk into Random House and get a book deal for one about ***-beatings with flashlights. :) Paladin might have a lot of stuff for the tinfoil beanie crowd, but they're the biggest player in "tactical" stuff and actually do have _some_ good titles if you poke around.

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
rashe said:
I wouldn't trust anything Phil Elmore puts out.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31146

The guy wrote a hoax article, Phil published it without checking its veracity. There's no knowing what other crap would make it in, especially with Paladin Press' low publishing standards.

:goodjob:

Doubted the martialist stuff after reading about it here on CPF, and this here only strengthens my belief. Excellent find; does a great part to prove this BS completely wrong.

rashe

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the Bullshido guys are sometimes overzealous, but they do a good job ferreting out the real BS.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
In absolute honesty, I can't help but to agree with Greenled in parts of what he has said. I did study martial art for years, and more into the art, the more I have understanding and respect in how to handle/deal with confrontation and survival situation.

There are so many times that I have told fellow practioners, students and instructors that regardless how hard we train and how skillful we have became, none will ever replace the good'o common sense. The minute we lost our senses, all goes down the drain and poo-poo will hit the fan. Sometimes, it is not about winning/overcoming an opponent in a fight, but surviving a conflict(especially dealing with an armed conflict).

It is true that mindset and training and various kind of preperations might aid a person to survive or overcome a conflict/fight by force, and it is each one person's responsibility to make an accurate assessment as what is necessary to survive based on actual reality...but as an instructor/friend/fellow martial art practioner, I see it as my own responsibility to make sure what is taught/shown/used is had been proofen in actual conflict situation either by myself or trusted/well-credited person. Living persons' lives might be at stake, and I think I owe it that much to them.

In regards to the book, I can't say whether it will work for the reader or not(as I haven't read it myself)...but I do strongly advice any fellow reader to bare this in mind--what is the likelihood that you could overcome the situation absolutely without scratch with your barehands? And if you could bet your life on that answer, then flashlight as a tool will be the sugar coating on your cake. But do remember, sugar coating does not make the cake. Peace.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One would have to read the book and judge it on its merits before jumping to conclusions.

I have to agree with the sentiment that a flashlight is of itself not much of a weapon, but if deployed properly can give you an edge ... how signifigant depends on the situation and what additional tactics you deploy, as well as the mindset of your opponent.

How many of us have accidentally (or not?) been blasted in the face by one of our own lights and not had much trouble still seeing a moment or two later? In my case, the afterimage of an exceptionally bright light ceases to obscure detail in less than a second. The only times I have trouble with darkness adaptation is after waking in the middle of the night. Maybe I'm different from everyone else...

I'm no expert on the subject, but mindset seems to be a great deal of self defense. I've been in a number of situations that could have gone wrong and realized afterwards that I may not have been mentally prepared to deal with it. We're all beasts of civillization - violence is something on TV, in movies or video games, right? Does it ever really happen? That stranger you passed on the sidewalk at night ... what if he swings at you the moment you come into arms' reach? With a streetlight every 100 yards alternating sides of the street, are his movements going to be telegraphed? Is it within your personal realm of possiblities?

Last edited:

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
Anyone willing to align themselves with the angry kids over at "Bullshido" is certainly free to go on living a life of deluded foolishness. They spend so much time complaining about me that I had to write my own FAQ about their FAQ on ME. (You couldn't ask for more effective publicity.)

I have to agree with the sentiment that a flashlight is of itself not much of a weapon, but if deployed properly can give you an edge ... how signifigant depends on the situation and what additional tactics you deploy, as well as the mindset of your opponent.

Exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.