Arc Fault Breaker Problems?

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
First off, moderators please move if there's a more suitable place for this electrical question.

I'm in Canada, just renovated 1/2 my house, including installing new breaker panel.
I got ESA permit, and going to get final inspection soon.
Rememered I forgot to install AFCI breakers on the two bedroom circuits as now required here by code, so did that on Tuesday.
Well...one bedroom's fine, the other, breaker trips soon as I plug in anything more substantial than a LED nightlight.
TV, VCR, hair dryer, etc :(
But it worked fine with a regular breaker? :wtf:
A little searching turns up this:
http://experts.about.com/q/Electrical-Wiring-Home-1734/Arc-Fault-Breaker-1.htm

And this!
http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarc...I_-_Why_I_Have_a_Problem_With_It~20020801.htm

So...do I have an actual problem, or am I experiencing a known issue?
Anyone with any experience, input, questions or suggestions?

Figure I'll try it with a GFI, see if that trips, then disconnect everything past the first receptacle to see if it's something in the main feed, or somewhere within the 2 kids' bedrooms doing it.

There's 7 receptacles & no lights on the offending circuit.
Thanks in advance
:candle: <-- me without working lamps :ironic:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those AFCI's are junk. Way too sensitive. Go back and double check all your connections and terminals. May as well tork all the lugs in the main panel while your at it. I do it once per year.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swap the two arc faults, if the problem stays on the same circuit (bedroom) then the problem is in that room, if the problem goes to the other circuit then you may have a defective breaker (and I have seen way to many of those just to sensitive)

MacGyver

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies :)

DUQ said:
Those AFCI's are junk. Way too sensitive. Go back and double check all your connections and terminals. May as well tork all the lugs in the main panel while your at it. I do it once per year.
I've done this, didn't find anything odd. Including in the panel.
Actually I even left the receptacles hanging out of the walls & tried it, just in case something had been touching inside a box.
No joy :(

Morelite said:
Swap the two arc faults, if the problem stays on the same circuit (bedroom) then the problem is in that room, if the problem goes to the other circuit then you may have a defective breaker (and I have seen way to many of those just to sensitive)
Thanks, forgot to mention, tried this too. Same circuit give same problem.:thinking:

I'll update again once I've tried the GFI.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the AFCI only trip while your plugging a device in? If so, plug in your devices then flip the AFCI on and see if it trips then.

Are your receps wired to the screw terminal or the push-in conector?