Help!: Maglite Solitare Modding

dudewithamag

Newly Enlightened
I Just invested a whopping $5 in a maglite solitare. Now... I want to make it 1000 times brighter. Im new to flashlights, but i want to use the solitare as a base, and mod the s#it out of it. Can anyone tell me if there is a place I can buy a mod or walk me through the mod process? I want it as bright as possible.

CLHC

Flashaholic
First of all, Welcome to CPF!

Since I don't have these particular model from Mag, you may want to try checking out LED-Replacement.Com for drop-ins.

And as you may already know, Mag Instruments are releasing their own version of LED flashlights. :huh:

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

:awman: I'm sorry to say, but you bought one of the least mod-friendly ligts out there. The stuff at led-replacement is nice, but nothing commercially available you drop into a Soli will make it 1000 brighter - such is the nature of the beast. Another LED drop-in to check out would be the one from Lambda (search for his posts to find his website).

AuroraLite's "Dummy reference guide to minimag modding" (search Aurora's old posts) is a great resource to check out since you're into Mags.

Also, check the CPF Specials thread I maintain - might save a buck or two on a "light or two" ;)

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm actually kinda in the same position... I just picked up two copper Solitaires for $1.26 each -- on clearance at my Target. I wish there were better mods for these things.

dudewithamag

Newly Enlightened
I saw the led drop in mod, doesnt look like anything special though. how do i get a luxeon 3 into a solitare body?
(and have it work of course).:sssh:

greenLED

Flashaholic
dudewithamag said:
how do i get a luxeon 3 into a solitare body?
You send a PM to LED_ASAP, and have him do his magic. It won't be cheap, though. Like I said, the Soli is one of the least mod-friendly lights out there.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Another memeber here has and did at one time, sell modified Maglite Solitaire with a Lux.III. Saw the resulting product at a gathering.

Enjoy!

InfidelCastro

Banned
Does anybody else here think the Solitaires and Minimags are way brighter now than they used to be? A new Minimag and Solitaire I bought actually has a pretty decent beam, I was surprised. I compared it to my old ones, there's no comparison. Did Mag do something to them???

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know, but my new Solitaire definitely appears brighter than the old one. I've gotta have a hotwire mod for this thing.

InfidelCastro

Banned
carrot said:
I don't know, but my new Solitaire definitely appears brighter than the old one. I've gotta have a hotwire mod for this thing.

I might try and mod the old one. But it seems kind of silly to mod them with the coin cell thing, because there's so much wasted space. I wonder if anyone would be willing to cut down and rethread them if we got together.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Does anybody else here think the Solitaires and Minimags are way brighter now than they used to be? A new Minimag and Solitaire I bought actually has a pretty decent beam, I was surprised. I compared it to my old ones, there's no comparison. Did Mag do something to them???
Was thinking the same thing yesterday. Was looking for my sister's nonfunctional minimag at her house yesterday, and used the brand new minimag she just bought as replacement. Was very surprised at the color and output, brighter and whiter than I remember. :huh2: Have not bought or used the stock minimag for years. I'm still gonna drop in a NiteIze into the nonfunctioning unit once I determine what the problem is.

Now I'm curious enough to pick up a new Solly...just to see...:naughty:

InfidelCastro

Banned
bruddamoke said:
Was thinking the same thing yesterday. Was looking for my sister's nonfunctional minimag at her house yesterday, and used the brand new minimag she just bought as replacement. Was very surprised at the color and output, brighter and whiter than I remember. :huh2: Have not bought or used the stock minimag for years. I'm still gonna drop in a NiteIze into the nonfunctioning unit once I determine what the problem is.

Now I'm curious enough to pick up a new Solly...just to see...:naughty:

Yea, I first turned on the Solitaire not expecting much and whoa.. my old one sure ain't this bright. The litter sucker actually throws across a large room quite well to, much better than a 5mm or even most 1W Luxeon LEDs.

So I was encouraged to try one of the Minimags I bought (found 6 Solitaires for $1.24 apiece and 4 Minimags for $2.18 apiece at Target). I inserted the batteries and turned on the 2AA Minimag... WHOA! What is this thing... an E1E??? Seems to be less artifacts than I'm used to in Mags in the focused beam too.

I just tried some 2500mAh Energizer rechargeables and it appears to like them, though it's less bright than with new alkalines (to be expected), but should run a long, long time at that level of brightness.

Now I think I've decided, what do I need a Chinese Fenix L2P for? This light throws alot better and is easier to recognize a distant object with.

So what clicky tailcaps do you guys use with you Minimags? I think I need one. I heard the NightIze one is kind of junky.

Last edited:

rscanady

Enlightened
greenLED is right, they are pain to mod due to the size. I have only done one. It is a resistored Luxeon 1 watt running DD on a Li-ion cell, but it is pretty impressive and loads better than the stock one, yes even the newer ones.

Ryan

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
So what clicky tailcaps do you guys use with you Minimags? I think I need one. I heard the NightIze one is kind of junky.
I had a NightIze clicky which was worthless. I currently use the rubber covered Kroll with no problems, but many guys here have reported a lot of problems with them. As usual, YMMV. Have not heard of any MM clicky that is reliable (yet).

Walt175

Enlightened
Anybody have any news on Lambada's drop in for the Solitare? I believe it was supposed to be available in April.

greenLED

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
Does anybody else here think the Solitaires and Minimags are way brighter now than they used to be?
Mag has new bulbs for their lights. New gas mix or something like that - I forget the details. The "new" minimag bulbs have a green base (as opossed to pink for the old ones). I have a few of these if anybody wants them; I'll send them for the price of postage.

InfidelCastro

Banned
greenLED said:
Mag has new bulbs for their lights. New gas mix or something like that - I forget the details. The "new" minimag bulbs have a green base (as opossed to pink for the old ones). I have a few of these if anybody wants them; I'll send them for the price of postage.

Yea, I have some old Rayovac ones I bought a couple years ago still in the package. They have the pink base too. You have PM.