What is so special about SF Porcupine L6??

wuyeah

Enlightened
I just saw SF Porcupine L6 sold on selling section. it is about 600 dollars :drool:

600 dollars......fine, the light is "SPECIAL" looking, reminds me of pinapple.....

Still feel a bit confused....600 dollars....for a light. M3 $250 i can understand by its ability to adopt variety of accesory or gun mount. $220 for a U2 i can understand, cuz useful 6 level and a good throw LED. Porcupine....i can't adjust to understand.

Besides the body design, is the Porcupine much better than SF L6? Does it throw better? does it have better out put?? does it have better run time?? Better....What?

or.....

it is just rare cuz of PK design. :huh2:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L6 Porcupine is not about output or runtime! The KL6 bezel 'just' has a stainless steel strike ring, and the body, well the body is just about the most crazy CNC machined flashlight component ever released.

The L6 is a tool (I've talked to people who have used it) but for most people it is cool - a work of art. I don't believe any other flashlight manufacturer would dare machine a body like that even if they could have dreamed it up.

The L6 Porcupine is about the realisation of a concept and sharing of it with fans.

I wouldn't buy one myself but it is a thing to be admired without a doubt!

Al :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes, this one is not about the light coming out the front end ... it is about art. About an incredible form ... look closely at this body ... the machining is so excessively cool and strange and most certainly *very* difficult to make.
And it is about the idea behind it ... imagine what it takes to come up with this in your head!
It is a showpiece of what can be done if you have a great mind and machinist :D
It is also one of those things that will be timeless, as there is more to it than just another invocation of a well known theme.

And it also makes light.

bernie

SurefireL6P.jpg

L6Porcupine043small.jpg

L6Porcupinesmall.jpg

L6Porcupine280small.jpg

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife saw the pictures last night, laughed, and said it was clearly a phallic symbol...:touche:

I think it is wild looking, to say the least. Where can one be purchased?

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's only a few hundred of these in the known world. Besides machining described above, this thing pojects an interesting looking beam due to the "strike bezel" on it. Cool looking if I say so myself. And more of like a "concept" light and and what can possibly be done to such lights.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who mfr's the Porcupine lights and upgrades? Is it SF or another company?

nc987

Enlightened
would it be possible to.....

-get that strike bezel piece alone?
-and thread it to a regular L6?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
1) don't think so
2) yes, the threads are the standard threads, and can be used for the usual SF Lego ...

SurefireL6PKT4.jpg

bernie

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen this light several times now and to be honest...well...it's one of the ugliest lights I have ever seen :sick2:

Truly the beauty most be in the eye of the beholder with this one :)

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

seattlite

Enlightened
Chronos said:
My wife saw the pictures last night, laughed, and said it was clearly a phallic symbol...:touche:

I think it is wild looking, to say the least. Where can one be purchased?
Here's another picture with the KT4-CB. The L6-P Body, the KT4-CB, and and a Turbohead LED module, makes a very cool LED light. The body serations are cut so deep, especially near the tailcap, that its very uncomfortable with bare hands. The body is really made to be used with gloved hands. If you want to see a "phallic symbol" try the L6-P head on an M6 body......:sick2:
IMG_17881.jpg

Last edited: