TEC 40 & NiMH battery problem.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Tec 40 that I purchashed some 1800mAH AA's for. The light works fine on alklines, but will not work on the NiMH's. They are charged & the polarity is correct. The NiMH's work fine in a MiniMag & my Surge, but will not work in the Tec 40. I've tried the 1800 Nexcell's & 1700 Energizer's. Same result. Any ideas?
confused.gif
TX

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have some battery contact problem. Do the cells have any different geometry?

I've been using NiMH cells in the Tec 40 for about 4 years (1600MaH Nexcells). The only problem I've ever had is that if you overtighten the head, it seems to compress the contact pad at the bottom of the barrel, and may not make good contact after that.

Hope this helps.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
[QB]...it seems to compress the contact pad at the bottom of the barrel, and may not make good contact after that...[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try putting the batteries in backwards. ie The - on the positive side and the + on the negative side. It won't make a difference to the bulb. But might affect the way the batteries make contact on that mesh foam pad.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the problem. Apparently, the negetive connection doesn't protrude enough from the battery case to make contact with the flat plate at the bottom. This is strange as I have 3 different brands of batteries. To fix it, I cut a piece if tinfoil the width of the light, rolled it up & dropped it in the bottom. Now it seems to work fine. Boy, that Krypton 3D bulb sure is bright with the NiMh batteries. Very close to the Surge. TX

Latest posts