geting rid of the internet in 30 days

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i had cable modem but the price went up a lot i was on promtnel deal. but it ended man they must be crazy now my cable bill is 60 bucks and i only got basic cable and interent on it.i cant belive they want that much .if i call em will they drop price?back to the price i was paying

TorchMan

Enlightened
It can't hurt to try that (calling them), but they probably won't go back to the promo price. I'm in sorta the same boat, except I may have to give up high speed and my cable. I should just do it, but I'm acting as if it's my life blood and don't want to give it up. I have digital cable with HBO and HD programming. I love the Sopranos and BattleStar Galactica reruns in HD on Universal HD. I know I should be able to live without it, but it's like the dark side. I want more...

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have two of my friends who are poor and contacted the cable company and they lowered their bill alot. I guess it depends on who you have cable with. It wouldn't hurt to call them and tell them that it is hard for you to pay that much. They might help you.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya they might figure a customer paying less is better than a customer not paying at all.

Our house cable bill is over a hundred and we have basic and cable modem. Like 60 for basic and 40 for internet. It's nuts.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you have to choose between dropping the internet and dropping cable, get rid of cable and throw out your TV while you're at it. TV just rots your mind.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some companies have a "lifeline" cable modem speed that's a little slower and a lot cheaper but they don't advertise it very heavily. Ask them if they have a lower-speed lifeline tier.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
paulr said:
If you have to choose between dropping the internet and dropping cable, get rid of cable and throw out your TV while you're at it. TV just rots your mind.
i cant drop tv lol i only went to real school thru grade7th so tv teaches me a lot .wel a course the net does to.i like to learn

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad they don't teach spelling and grammar on TV. Seriously, I tend to think that there's more junk than good right now. The historical documentaries are good for that kind of thing, but I'd try to avoid learning anything else from TV unless you want to be more messed up.

Raggie, haven't you posted about having finacial problems? Unless you're doing high-traffic things online for work, a good dialup connection is only $8-12. Learn to live with broadcast TV--I sometimes miss neat cable shows but it's hardly a problem.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes when you switch carriers you get promotions with the new one, then come back to the previous one when the contract expires, go back and forth.

Bad thing is that when you get accustomed to High speed access, going back to modem is disgusting.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently switching to a new broadband provider.

have a look at the link.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-LLU-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.TESTHUB

£11 a month line rental, which you have to pay anyway in the UK.

£9.99 a month for unlimited free calls, to 28 countries, and local and national calls for up to 70min at a time, just re-dial before the end of 70min and it`s free.

"up to 8mb broadband for free."

comes to a total of £20.99 a month.

this is why i posted i might be going off-line in the CAFE, while they do the switch over.

regards.

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
raggie,

If it makes you feel any better (though it probably won't), where I live basic cable and high speed internet would be quite a bit more than $60. We have Time Warner, and our basic cable, without a box rental, is around $47. The price varies a lot depending on what neighborhood/township you live in, and there are some that are more than that.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Look around at some of the promotional deals companies like SBC run for DSL.

My dad is paying like $15-$16 a month for a DSL connection right now. It's not going to spike in price either. It's a year deal.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I was wrong. Our basic cable is just under $49 now. No digital, no "premium" channels, and no internet.:ohgeez:

We can get a good package deal by getting phone, digital cable, and internet service together, but I don't want a phone that goes out as regularly as our cable does.:rant:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I steadfastly resisted cable until about a year ago. Have basic now plus fast internet. I had been using PeoplePC for about $10/month and it really wasn't too bad. It seems like this Road Runner sometimes slows down to almost dial-up speed. If money's a bit tight I'd go back to dial-up and pull out the rabbit ears for your TV.

Geoff

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dish and Direct are far cheaper at any level than cable, ofer more services,and if you get one of the movie choices they offer more channels than the cable does. They also have a ton of music channels.
The "free" DVR they gave me means I don't have to watch commercials unless they catch my interest.
It also means I can watch the scene over. Last night on Law & Order or one of that type show, something didn't look right as they put a suspect in a squad car. I rewound and watched it in slow motion. The bad guy was holding onto part of an open set of handcuffs with two fingers.

I also recently "upgraded my DSL line from SBCGlobal to a higher speed - which I have not noticed and dropped the price from around $28.00 a month to around $14.00 a month, which I have noticed.

Latest posts