Insight M3X

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any feedback on this light? I am curious to see some beamshots and where abouts the lumen rating actually is. I understand the 120 claim is a little farfetched.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
120 is the max. output I'm aware of for a xenon using 2 x 123 lithiums. I'ts possible. Maybe someone can tell us if the SureFire P-61 module will fit. The advertising copy says: "The enhanced mil-spec design allows the air-tight M3X to be exposed to the world's harshest environments, be it blinding desert sand storm or swimming 66 feet under salt water."
DO NOT FIRE YOUR PISTOL 66 FEET UNDER WATER! -BAD, BAD!

Bernie

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
Maybe someone can tell us if the SureFire P-61 module will fit.
Nope, whole different lamp setup. My terminology is still weak here, but I will try. It is like a bi-pin (like a Stinger bulb), set in a plastic cradle with a spring to absorb recoil around it. Surefire makes a handgun weaponlight, I believe called the P101 or something light that, that takes P60/61 bulbs, but it is big and bulky. If this light didn't have to go into a holster, I would imagine you could do the old 2 rechargeable 123's and a 9v lamp and have something very bright.
My understanding that basically the newest and best weaponlight (by that I mean affordable, bright, durable) for a handgun is the Streamlight TLR-1. Has a 3w LED with a claimed output of 80 lumens. It is half the price of a SF X200 series, more durable than the M3 series, and is smaller so it will fit into holsters unlike the M3X. I have an M3 now, my TLR should be here in a day or 2. Sorry, no beam shots or direct experience from me. From what I have read on Police message boards, the M3X is good, but not as exciting as some people at first hope.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handgun cartridges when fired produce 28,000 to 35,000 (Typical magnum like the .357) pounds per square inch pressure, rifles at 48,000-55,000 lbs/in. squared. The instantaneous temperature can be 10,000 degrees Farhenheit inside the cartridge near the primer flash hole.

The pressure of fresh water is 1 atmosphere, 14.7 lbs/ in. squared every 33 feet, 30 feet in ocean salt water.

That being said the bore of the pistol would be plugged with a column of water under about 30 Lbs./in. squared pressure. Depending on the caliber, load and pistol most likely you will have a catastrophic failure akin to plugging the barrel on dry land. The barrels usually bulge and sometimes split, never forming a star like on cartoons. With some auto pistols the slides may slam back with enough force to break components. If the cartridge head fails hot gases spew out and in an auto pistol that goes down the magazine well which will split the grips outward and most likely give you some damage to your hands. Some firearms can withstand discharge under shallow water. I had a friend that would snorkle with a .22 cal. rimfire rifle and would shoot fish by holding the barrel up to the fish, a bullet will only travel a short distance from the muzzle under water.

ofcjim40

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: Me and Northen Lights were typing and posted at the same time. What he said! (does that make me sound intelligent by riding your coattails?...lol) Here, is my original, 1st grade style post. :lolsign:
OK, I'm ignorant. What would happen?
The water basically would act as a barrel obstruction. The bullet would have no where to go. Going by an episode of Mythbusters and some other info, chances are the person firing the gun would be OK, but you could do severe physical damage to the gun, barrel damage, locking block, etc.

Last edited:

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have one. I run it on my G21 and one my ARs. It's bright and the beam quality is decent. It does what I need it to do, so I can't complain.

g214nq.jpg

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting picture....coincidence? Got a new issue of Glocks with Glock tactical lights today. Glock User Manual actually publishes that a certain 9 mm model can be fired underwater.----

Hey, can anyone tell me what that enlightened and unenlighten by the user name and avatar means? Been driving me nuts, I probably overlooked the obvious.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
Hey, can anyone tell me what that enlightened and unenlighten by the user name and avatar means? Been driving me nuts, I probably overlooked the obvious.

FINALLY found the answer to my own question in the administration post, I can rest now. Thanks.

Last edited: