Can you name the movie or TV show?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to have hijacked another thread by introducing a Star Trek filming location trivia challenge; sorry about that AlphaTea. I though I'd start a separate thread where we can post pictures of filming locations and have others guess what movie or TV show they come from.

Here's one for starters. It's a location used in a TV show from the late 70's and early 80's.

46b784df.jpg

magic79

Enlightened
I think CHC has this one. But, I'm curious where you got all the pix (it looks like you have taken them...so my real question is where did you get the locations??)??

Cool Thread! Don't forget your last Q in the Star Trek thread!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
CHiPs Ahoy? :huh: :thinking:

BINGO!

Everyone guessed correctly. It's the CHP office that's situated beneath the ramps of freeway interchange 10 and 110 just south of downtown Los Angeles.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
I think CHC has this one. But, I'm curious where you got all the pix (it looks like you have taken them...so my real question is where did you get the locations??)??

Cool Thread! Don't forget your last Q in the Star Trek thread!

When I was a child I was really curious where that rock formation was where Kirk fought the Gorn. I've seen it in several other sci-fi movies and shows and set out to find it in 1992. My clue came when bay area channel 54 played an episode of The Outer Limits called "The Zanti Misfits" which showed a UFO flying over the rocks. The episode was hosted as part of science fiction night and the host said it was filmed as Vasquez Rocks. I soon found myself climbing to the top of the ledge that I so wondered about as a child. Ten years later I sort of took up the hobby of finding where things where filmed around Hollywood. It took a lot of research to locate all the filming locations for Star Trek as few trekkies had much knowledge of them. I think I have the only complete list outside of Gene Roddenberry's records. I didn't just find Star Trek sights; I found many places that were used in TV shows I saw as a child.

magic79

Enlightened
Way beyond cool!

I think I've been to Vasquez Rocks...or maybe it was a different site. The place I went was about 50 miles east of L.A. and was the site of many TV and film locations. Is that the same place? My girlfriend at the time directed me there, and I don't think I could find it again.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This structure was used in several scenes in a 1988 movie. One scene was at the end of the movie. Can you name the movie?

2b73e65e.jpg

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
Way beyond cool!

I think I've been to Vasquez Rocks...or maybe it was a different site. The place I went was about 50 miles east of L.A. and was the site of many TV and film locations. Is that the same place? My girlfriend at the time directed me there, and I don't think I could find it again.
Maybe, there are many movie ranches around Hollywood. Vasquez Rocks is in a place called Agua Dulce that you can see from Hwy 14 about 20 mile east of Hwy 5. Another possibility (although west of LA) is a very interesting rock formation at the former Iverson Movie Ranch along what is now Hwy 118 in Chatsworth.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
I have no idea what movie thats from off hand. Will be interesting to find out though!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skyclad01 said:
I have no idea what movie thats from off hand. Will be interesting to find out though!
Once someone guesses the correct movie I'll tell you what it is and where it's located. Oh, the fence you see in the picture was not there in the movie, and the pavement was a dirt lot. If nobody guesses it by the time I wake up I'll start giving more clues.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
wasnt that structure in the movie with Kevin Costner ....think it was called something like WaterWorld....looks like something also from the original MadMax maybe

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop said:
wasnt that structure in the movie with Kevin Costner ....think it was called something like WaterWorld....looks like something also from the original MadMax maybe
Waterworld (1995) was filmed in Hawaii and along the Los Angeles coastline. The original MadMax (1979) was filmed entirely in Australia.

Ok I'll give ya a hit; it was a cop movie.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the CHiPs one before even reading the second post, but I haven't got a clue about the Watts Towers, but I'll guess....uuh.... Diehard?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colors sounds like a pretty good guess. I think I just might remember seeing the towers in a Colors scene, too. Robocop was '87, but Colors is indeed '88!

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Colors sounds like a pretty good guess. I think I just might remember seeing the towers in a Colors scene, too. Robocop was '87, but Colors is indeed '88!

I was watching Colors some months ago on cable, and I do remember some sort of towers in it cause a car basically crashed into it which was near the end of the movie. But I cant remember if it was those towers though.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn you guys are good!

TrashMan is correct on the location as being the Watts Towers.
Skyclad01 got the right movie: Colors

Last edited:

Latest posts