I want a tent type light, which?

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking at either Krill Lights, or Glo-Tubes, which would you recommend? why?

Also, I'd like to be able to use lithium AA's in the Krill, possible?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I killed my Krill when I test if it can handle the lithum aa in it.
The Glo-tube is brighter than the Krill.

cy

Flashaholic
best tent light hands down is ARC AAA.

small size and durable enough to leave clipped to a loop inside your tent when you pack it away.

ARC AAA delivers the perfect amount of light for a tent. 5+ hours runtime are long enough not to worry about killing a cell.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If money is no option the Trintium variabe output light (30mm would be best) is the best tent light. it has a halflife runtime of 10 years. it's a very floody light. But your eyes have to be adjusted to the darkness (which makes it best for a tent) to be fully effective. if price is an opten get the ar.

doug

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
assuming your backpacking, ........
without any doubt it has to be a Petzl or similar headlamp,
small, portable and long runtime,
..... you can hang it up for general lighting when its not on your head,...... you will find any bright single light source, unless it is diffused will glare and cause harsh shadows

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to look at the Petzl headlamps then.

The Krill light died with the lithium? Darn...oh well.

And yeah, ARC makes great stuff. I have a ARC AA that works great.

Rando

Enlightened
I like the Energizer 4XAA folding lights. Two power levels, runs for 200+ hours on low, 100+ on high, puts out plenty of light for a tent, and there's a mod floating around to upgrade the leds for more light (don't know how that affects the runtime). They're supposed to be discontinued according to this thread, but I picked up two at my local Target a few days ago for $7 each and there were a few left.

Monolith

Enlightened
Seems to be you're looking for something extremely portable, but Target carries the Coleman tent light for $10. It's an actual tent light (so quite large in comparison to an Arc AAA). Uses 4AA batteries and has a magnetic base with metal mounts that allow it to be attached anywhere on the tent. I installed Lambda's PR based SMJLED for extremely long run times.

Just to clarify - it's 4AA but each 2AA bank is in parallel - so, no Lambda does not make a 4 cell PR based bulb yet...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we really need a little more information.

You say you want a tent light, would this be for backpacking and a small 1-2 man backpacking tent? In that case I'd recommend a headlamp hung overhead since you want to cut weight down as much as possible so multi-function is a must.

Is it for car-camping and a larger 4-6 man "family camping" type tent?
Probably something more like the River Rock lantern or the Essential Gear light.

"Basecamping" where you'd have a large wall tent and all the comforts of home you can go with any of the coleman rechargable flourescent lights like these.

Whatever you decide on, remember one very important thing... NO OPEN FLAME INSIDE A TENT....EVER!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The CR2 Ion might be an alternative ... a very small pure flood light powered by a CR2 battery that can bu attached hanging via a split ring.
bernie

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm voting for an ARC/Arc clone, or coincell keylight. Like cy said, you could just leave the light in there purposely if you wanted, or it wouldn't be a tragity if you forgot it in there either.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
The CR2 Ion might be an alternative ... a very small pure flood light powered by a CR2 battery that can bu attached hanging via a split ring.
bernie

I second the vote for the Ion: Very small, incredibly long run time on low, very light weight in the aluminum version, and the flood is perfect for inside a tent. Then there's the high beam, which is very bright indeed. Might be pricier than what you had in mind, but I can't imagine anything better for hanging, since you can leave it running so long.

Nubo

Enlightened
An LED headlamp on "low" makes a good choice. Once you're settled in and just want to read, you can wear it and have plenty of good reading light.

For sheer runtime, as well as versatility, the Eternalight might be a good choice. Plenty of brightness settings and runtime can be expressed in WEEKS at the lower settings. It is larger than a lot of the others, but still lightweight with 3 AA lithiums. Very powerful beacon and SOS modes.

The Gerber Infinity puts out decent light with very good runtime.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I saw a motion sensing tent light at Tri-City. Don't remember the maker of it though. :thinking:

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

David_Campen

Enlightened
Every GLORB I've see was a little on the dim side but maybe they've improved.
How bright do you want it to be? The brighter it is the faster it drains the batteries. The one I have is more than bright enough for me.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Tri-City that place in Fremont? Didn't they go out of business back around the beginning of the year?

CHC said:
I saw a motion sensing tent light at Tri-City. Don't remember the maker of it though. :thinking:

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Is Tri-City that place in Fremont? Didn't they go out of business back around the beginning of the year?
Tri-City is still there, they lost their second building that was used for outdoor furniture. The building was aquired by the city, torn down, and rebuilt as a hugh block of section 8 apartments.

In keeping with the original question, you may want to consider the Coleman LED micropacker lantern.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=106472&highlight=coleman

Last edited: