Sigline on or off right now?

Sigline setting:

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have your preferences set to display other's siglines right now, or do you leave them off? Please tell why...

Also, if you have siglines set to 'off', do you display your own sigline anyway?

Maybe a good feature for the forum would be: Must have siglines on to display your own sigline. I don't think it's fair to show a sigline for others to read, yet block them all for your own convenience.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
On because sometimes, members have links to interesting threads. It's also interesting to see what lights a member has - this helps when they are commenting on a light and you can verifiy they actually own one, thus making their opinions etc more credible. And, well sometimes, people have funny sigs ;)

turbodog

Flashaholic
On, but I voted Off because I intend to change it right now. I dislike the distracting pictures that several people have. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
On, but I voted Off because I intend to change it right now. I dislike the distracting pictures that several people have. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

That was part of the reason for posting this thread, to get people to optimize their siglines so they don't distract from the flow of conversation.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
In your control panel, you have this section:

ve64uh.jpg

I'd think it would be easier to set your options than to try set other's options.

Mine is set to default to a sig, but since there is always the easily used "show your signature" option in my post/edit screen, I sometimes show it and sometimes don't.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't trying to set other's options. I like reading the siglines (some) and leave the setting on to see what others are saying.

At the same time, sometimes it is useful to not show your sigline for EVERY post on one thread. OK, I'm guilty of doing that, too.

I just wanted to get other user's opinions on viewing siglines in general, off or on and what not..

Some users would want others to see their siglines for various reasons. It would be too bad if too many users turned it off because it was distracting.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mine's always on, mostly because of the "community service" threads I have there. I also use it to bring attention to stuff I'm selling (if I am doing that in a more or less permanent way).

I don't mind people's sig's unless they're huge graphics (which are short-lived anyway because mods are on top of things).

Bob_G

Enlightened
On in the forums, but I wish the default in PMs was off. I don't want to use it there, but never remember to turn it off. Maybe there's a setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is off. EDIT: Geeze, I've completely hosed this post. Sorry. I have sig switched so that I can see other's sigs -- but I have none myself. Whew! Glad to get that off my chest! END EDIT I've got my avatar out there so everyone, for better or for worse, will know it's me. I think about it occasionally and I would not be averse to displaying one if I had something to say that I felt was worthy of your monitor's real estate.

I find sig files like greenLED's links very useful and I also very much appreciate humorous sigs. Those of Silverfox and perhaps a dozen others always brighten my day no matter how many times I've seen them. I even find politically oriented sig files somewhat comforting in their familiarity although that's admittedly a much narrower line to walk. I also enjoy sig files that advertize the poster's current projects, as the OP's does. With Search functions as they are and New Posts scaled back a bit, sigs like that have turned me on to threads that I would have missed alltogether if I hadn't have seen them in a sig on some totally unrelated thread I happened to be browsing at the time.

So, I truly think that it is a useful option that has helped me -- even though I've never implemented my own.

EDIT: I have mine set so I may see other's sigs even though I've never used my own.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clarify: The poll is not whether you have a sigline, but whether you view other's siglines.

I started right-justifying my sigline so that it would appear separate from the flow of conversation. Centering is OK, but calls too much attention to the sigline.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my personal option/observation... YMMV...

I have them OFF Both Signatures and Avtars... only Pictures in Post are ON

On Dial-Up... Pages load blazingly fast then :)

also, while reading, the siglines are dusturbing...

I wish that there was a facality that would show one's signature only once per page, in case of an individual responds multiple times in a thread reading repeated information is not so interesting....

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
When I'm reading a thread, I want to read it for the posts in it, and not anything else... least of all signatures with distracting text and photos. It just got to be too much - so, off!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
When I'm reading a thread, I want to read it for the posts in it, and not anything else... least of all signatures with distracting text and photos. It just got to be too much - so, off!

Party pooper :p

TorchMan

Enlightened
I like the siglines! They display persona, and seeing lights listed has helped me learn about them.

Latest posts