6volt Power-outage upgrade?

dca2

Enlightened
I have a 2 head 6 volt emergency power-outage light. It uses incans and gets ~90-120 min. runtime. This thing is mounted at 8 1/2 feet (9 ft. ceilings). It currently is about 20 feet from the end of a hall which one of the lights light up and the other bulb lights up most of a kitchen and a den.

I would like some opinions/options to change over to leds that would be capable of lighting the same area but give much better runtimes. We quite often lose power for several hours in bad weather. And yes, I do have EDC's and various lights scattered around the house :ironic: but this thing is hard wired and works very well, just not enough runtime. I am not at home right now and can not remember the capacity of the 6v cell but I do remember it being a sealed lead and was one of the larger cells.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if it is bright enough for your application, but here is an alternative which very likely pulls less power. Each one is around 1 watt, so prossibly not as bright as you are used to, but perhaps worthy of a simple test.

Since you have flashlights already, you can use pretty much any 1 watt LED flashlight to see if that will be enough light for the application.

If not, it might be easiest to add a second battery in parallel.

dca2

Enlightened
carrot said:
If it uses a PR-base bulb, perhaps you could look into using the Nite-Ize for C/D-cell Maglites?

My unit uses 939 bulbs
09390.jpg

I have seen led bulbs, well clusters of 5mm to be used in autos that have the same base. They are for 12v systems. Would my 6v, 10amp/20 hour Panasonic sla have enough to light them up ?
HarryN said:
I am not sure if it is bright enough for your application, but here is an alternative which very likely pulls less power. Each one is around 1 watt, so prossibly not as bright as you are used to, but perhaps worthy of a simple test.

Since you have flashlights already, you can use pretty much any 1 watt LED flashlight to see if that will be enough light for the application.

If not, it might be easiest to add a second battery in parallel.

I did check the output of my Triton P1 and I think a 1w would offer enough light. Is their a siple solution or board I could make to power 1w leds?

Thanks,
Dave

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones in automotive have resistors to cut the voltage to the LED to 12 volts. If you want it to run for 6 volt apps you can cut the resistors off.

Since this is CPF, you'll want to swap their LEDs for some nice brighter Nichia ones. Stock the Automotive bulbs with 16 5mm LEDs are pretty bright, the throw sorta sucks tho.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello dca2:)

I would buy a 3W LED replacement for a 4D Mag and build your own adaptor.

You can take a brassnut with the diameter of the replacement bulb, two wires to fix on the bulb+ and the nut -, put the wires in the connector of your lamp and glue the nut with the new bulb on the connector.

Such an idea

Best regards

_____
Tom