Old network/data/electronic system diagnostic hardware?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if this is kinda OT, but I've had an impossible time finding an answer. I have a _ton_ of mid '80s data system diagnostic equipment. All Datacom Northwest stuff, most of it never used, all from around 1985-90. Small portable electronics in soft cases. Is this stuff still used, and would it have some value? A little poking around on eBay only produced the network-specific stuff and the older ones weren't going for much.

I have network diag tools, data cable testers, breakout boxes, serial testers, data error rate checkers, I/O testers, and all kinds of similar things. Most of it seems more geared towards serial and parallel data transmission than actual net works, although I do have older LANcats in here.

Thanks in advance.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i belive snakebite messes with that stuff.hopefully he will read this post

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, most of it isn't for actual normal networks. I only have a little Ethernet hardware (coax, of course). The rest are for troubleshooting stuff like RS232, RS422, and various type of data transfer circuts. I think a lot of these instruments were used in industrial settings.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. Serial is a dying technology. Some places may still use it, but the market is very limited. Your best bet will be eBay, but I wouldn't expect to get much for it.

For the coax stuff, probably the same thing. Usually if there's a problem with the thinnet, they'll just upgrade to UTP instead of trying to find the fault and dealing with impedance mismatches, etc.

JM-99

Latest posts