Best 2AA Output to Battery Run-Time Light/Mod

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Hi, just wondering what light or mod(sandwich combo) would give the most light (throw/spill) with a 90min-2hr+runtime of good regulated output.?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Maybe a Peak Caribbean with an AA body? Runtime should be around 2 hours when using nimh. Overall output is in the Mag 3D class, although throw is obviously much less.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think the NexGen 500mA TW0J drop-in pill/sammi from The Sandwich Shoppe with them newer Oxy batteries from DURACELL/Panasonic or the Energizer e2 Lithiums.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
chrome-addict said:
Hi, just wondering what light or mod(sandwich combo) would give the most light (throw/spill) with a 90min-2hr+runtime of good regulated output.?

Chrome-addict,

For the best combo for 2AA Nimh/alkaline, as CHC has said, I'd recommend a BBNG500 sammie with a McR18/MDR (or better yet, modded McR20) and a mineral glass lens. A solid great regulation for 1.5 hours of constant output, and virtually does not get warm...

Good luck with your search! :)

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input:)!! Any idea how the BBNG500 mod compares to either the L1P or L2P? Or better yet, does anyone have any output vs run-time figures on this mod?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Have not seen the BadBoy NexGen 500 in person, but from what I remember the others mentioning, it sure is bright, and as what AuroraLite mentioned.

I have the BBNG750, and that too is VERY bright and White! Besides, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a drop-in LED from The Sandwich Shoppe.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
chrome,
Considering you are looking at brightness and runtime, this suggests to me that you will use it as a "work light". Something that has enough punch, will have a 90 minute plus runtime and run on alkalines, NiMH or lithium AA cells.
I went with the Peak Mediterranean with 2AA body. Normally, I use the Kroll clickie switch but change it to twistie when camping or harsh use (when it HAS to turn on!) It is as bright as my BB500 R2H 20mm IMS equipped minimag but handles the heat much, much better. I've run it for 2+ hours on NiMH and it was warm, but not hot so I consider it reliable enough to be my work EDC light. The LuxeonIII LED underdriven at (guessing) 500mA for around 1.5 watts or so of drive allows decent runtime and great brightness.
Yes, it costs twice as much as an L2P but I never have to worry about it not turning on. No clickie failures, no corrosion on the barrel etc of my L1P. No overheating and corrosion problems on sandwich equipped minimags or switch failures of Aurora 2AA Jupiter lights. An added bonus is it will strobe when the regulation starts to kick out as a reminder to change the batteries.
An added bonus of the Med is it fits minimag holsters. The larger head not only cools better and allows for a larger reflector but fits my Ripoffs holster. My Med is not sexy but is a reliable tool that is waterproof and fits all my needs as a work light. My BB500 R2H reflectored minimag is a shelf queen now. After three years, the mod has been retired.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
To add to BentHeadTX's comments: the peak rep on CPF has said that only their Mediterranean and Atlantic models are designed for continous use. While the Glacier Bay and Caribbean are brighter for their respective power classes, they don't handle heat well enough to be run continously until battery exhaustion. If you are looking at a light for continous use, disregard my advice to get a Caribbean and get a Mediterranean instead.

Longbow

Enlightened
The Fenix L2P is champ! After 1/2 hour run time the L2P is nearly twice as bright as the L1P, which is starting to take a dive in output. With lithium AA's the output is non-dimming for 6 hours. Try that with a mini mag conversion or a L1P......I don't think so! :)

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the good feedback/advice. I just might bite the bullet and give the Peak Mediterranean a closer look.
I notice people saying "with 2AA body". Is this a mod for Peak flashlights? Where can I find info on this. Thanks in advance:) .

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
chrome-addict said:
Thanks guys for all the good feedback/advice. I just might bite the bullet and give the Peak Mediterranean a closer look.
I notice people saying "with 2AA body". Is this a mod for Peak flashlights? Where can I find info on this. Thanks in advance:) .

As enLIGHTenment said, it is an optional accessory,
The Med comes stock as a CR123A light but has optional 2AA bodies. The 2AA body has a removable end piece that can be changed out for a Kroll clickie switch. Generally, I use the Kroll with a slight mod to the switch. Pull the battery spring out and notice a gold spring sitting offset below it. Slide the spring back in and hook one of the coils under the first coil of the gold spring. This gives much better contact and with slight movement of the springs, it will "automatically" clean the connection. If you decide on the clickie, order two of them to keep a spare in your desk, bag etc.