Brass Body Peaks

maglite

Newly Enlightened
How do the brass peaks look after they have aged a little bit? Most brass items I own darken and tarnish after a period of time. Does anyone own a brass Peak? I am curious is the brass bodies are finished in any way. I am trying to decide between brass and stainless steel. Thanks in advance!

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
I have a brass peak pacific and after a short period of time it tarnishes and becomes very dull and dark. The only remedy is to polish it with brass polish which makes it look stunning for a few days, until it tarnishes again. Pretty high maintenance if you want to keep it looking shiny. As a result I won't be buying anymore brass torches. If I was you, I would go with steel.

John

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
They develop a green patina with use. My current body isn't gaining one as fast as my 2xAA did, but i'm not sure if that's because i don't use it as much now that i have more torches or because putting it back in the case every time is retarding the process. Not everyone likes it, but to me it gives it a nice steam punk look. I have an SS body for my CPF Rainier and love it, but there's just something about brass.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
I, too have been considering a Peak. I don't know which model though. They don't have an actual two stage 123A powered light, do they? Not that I really need one; I just like the idea of a stainless Steel light.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I had a brass mckinley,I really liked the brass,it does tarnish,but still it always looked nice ,and if you want ,a little polish and it looks brand new! It also does weigh a lot more ,but I liked the feel /weight of it. I will definitly buy another brass peak, I too want a 2 stage. I really liked their momentary on push button!Its an extra , but a handy feature to an already great light!

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I have a brass Pacific on its way to me but none in hand yet. I do like Peak's SS Matterhorn with the pocket body. While all other SS Peaks use a SS tube for the body of the light, the pocket Matterhorn is turned out of solid SS in a one piece body with a waisted center section and flats milled at both ends of the body. A 3 led model is my EDC and I can't ever tell that it is in my pocket in spite of the heavier weight over aluminum. My brother just ordered one and I have asked Peak to make me the same light in brass as the SS pocket body Matterhorn. Note that the cataloged brass and aluminium Matterhorns are machined differently than the SS ones. The Peaks are nice lights and you can get extra bodies for only $5-15 and even mix and match metals. If the parts fit, Peak will make one up for you.

Steve

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have a brass 3 LED Matterhorn in the keychain style. It has tarnished like one would expect. The knurled sections are darker than the head since it's smooth and handled with turning on and off. I've not polished it since getting it a couple years ago and it doesn't look too bad. I like the light, but, to me the brass makes it too heavy for EDC compared to my Arc AAA. But it does see a lot of use around the house.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic
Try Flitz polishing compound. It not only kicks-A bringing out a shine out of tarnished metal, but somehow it protects the surface a lot longer than other polishing compounds. I polished the reflector in my wife's ArcAAA using regular stuff, and it's already dull. I used Flitz for my own ArcAAA, and other than some lint, it looks as mirror-finish as the minute I finished polishing it (and I did this a couple of months ago).

turb

Newly Enlightened
I have a 7 LED Brass Peak. Hav had it for about two years now. It is not quite as bright as it used to be, but no greenish patina is noticeable. I'm thinking due to the fact that I am constantly using it and slipping it in and out of very tight fitting sheath. I like the additional weight as well, it reminds me it's there. There are definitely more peak purchases in my future, just have to wait until my wallet recovers from recent purchases.

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
Here is a photo of my AWR nano which is built on a Peak brass lug style body. It has been on my keychain for one year and I polish it monthly with a little Brasso.

IMG_0129.jpg

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Wow, I just got my 2 brass bodies for my Pacific today, the CR2 pocket body and the 2Xaa pocket body, they look beautiful and the CR2 is nice and small. I really like the way it looks and feels. The heft is nice and solid feeling. Have had it on for 30min continuous and just slightly wall. Tail stands nice. I like it alot more than the 1aaa body the head came on. Now to go play with the 2Xaa body!!!

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Radio, i would love to see some beam shots with the AA body. If the output comes close to that of the L1P, then i will have found a high quality replacment for my L1P (one that i would actually rely on).