Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yellow-green

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Red

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
i'm new here and specifically made this acount to ask this question:) I'm planning to get a Surefire A2 and am wondering which color LED's I should get. What are some pros/cons on each color? ***I have found many of the A2 posts very informative*** but i still can't seem to make up my mind.
----thanks

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Unless you're buying the light for a color specific purpose, stick with white. Also, getting a white LED allows you to purchase any of the colored filters and use those with the light at a later time. Most of the Surefire filters can be found for ~$20 or less and they flip-open, so you can switch between white & red very quickly.

When a dedicated color would be good...

If your using it ONLY to track down wounded game, you'd want a blue LED/light source.

Red is usually used as a dedicated light when keeping your night vision is important.

Not sure if green has a special role besides signaling. :thumbsup:

Yellow-green? Yuck! I have no idea what that'd be good for... :whistle:

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
White is obviously best for "all-around" use.

Blue, as stated above is good for tracking wounded game. Blood shows up as dark black under blue light. Blue is pretty bright to human eyes, but it's also a bit harsh. Blue also has a fairly short wavelength and may have some slight blacklight effects, such as fluorescing highlighters, but it probably won't show UV ink or markings (like on IDs) very well, if at all. Use a violet (405n) or UV (395-375nm) light for this.

Red is excellent for preserving night vision. The reason for this is that it doesn't destroy the rhodopsin in the rods of your eyes. Rhodopsin is how we detect light; it's constantly being built up and destroyed, which is why you see spots when you blind yourself with a bright light (bare areas of rhodopsin), and why it takes a while to get night-adjusted (it builds up and fainter lights like dim stars can be seen better). Red doesn't destroy rhodopsin. However, red is still visible by the cones in our eyes, which detect color, so we can see by red light. Many game animals such as deer cannot see red, so hunting at night can be aided with red light without spooking game.

Human eyes are most sensitive to light at around 530nm wavelength, which we see as green. Thus, of all the LED colors, green appears the brightest to us, and thus is very effecient to make a bright green light. Green also doesn't screw with NVDs (night vision devices), but that only really matters if you're SWAT or Spec OPs or something (or just a NV enthusiast). Green however doesn't allow very good color rendition.

Yellow green is kinda an in-between for green and white for better color rendition.

Personally, I would not see a normal, every day use for anything but white or red LEDs on an A2. I've thought about giving an A2 to my dad, who's a major astronomy buff. He goes through red flashlights like crazy; god knows how many minimags (and even more bulbs and batteries) with red filters he's gone through. The nice thing with the A2 is that you can lock out the incandescent mode by twisting out the tail cap, so there's no chance he'd accidentally blast himself or somebody else with 60+ lumens of white light when he only wants to read a star chart 2 feet away with red light. The only thing that's stopped me from buying him an A2 is the fact that he likes to lose things.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF! Mind the wallet.

If you don't know what color to get, white is probably the best choice unless you have a very specific purpose in mind. The A2's a great light, my favorite, actually...

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened
I have mine in blue.
Its good because it doesn't ruin your vision, but I wish I had white sometimes when I need it to be a little bit brighter. Blue is great for indoors but gets lost for me outside.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to be doing color-sensitive technical work, monochromatic light would be annoying at best and dangerous at worst. Wiring comes to mind.

Cheers. :buddies:

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
oh, and since red is milder on the eye i would assume that it would not be as effective for tactical (blinding) purposes right?

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
well... I meant the LEDs do have some influnce on the color with the high incan settings right? or is it so minor?

ANW

Newly Enlightened
I voted White also, I use the leds alot for basic navigation at a drive in (lucky enough to live near three drives with in my area, and know of others) or general purpose but it's nice to have the indandecent light when I really need it while camping or other purposes. It's a great light, you'll love it.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
pkennethv said:
well... I meant the LEDs do have some influnce on the color with the high incan settings right? or is it so minor?

With the proper equipment you could probably measure the difference, but for anything using the good ole MK-1 Eyeball, LED color will make absolutely no difference to the incandescent beam.

Get one and blind yourself with it, you'll see what I mean. :nana: Or maybe you won't. :devil:

Cheers. :buddies:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course you can do the CPF practice of if the white leds aren't to your liking, swap them with better ones (mod it). I modded PSM's A2 to 380nm UV leds recently. That's a pretty cool option SF doesn't offer!

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
I have an A2 in white white. I think white/red would be a better combo for me.

My problem with the "white" led's is that they have too much purple. Green is the brightest.

Yaesumofo

I'm glad someone mentioned this. The "white" LEDs of the A2 are really more of a blue in the beam center. Kind of nasty looking and it ruins the idea of a white/white combo in my opinion. Something to consider.

Last edited:

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Of course you can do the CPF practice of if the white leds aren't to your liking, swap them with better ones (mod it). I modded PSM's A2 to 380nm UV leds recently. That's a pretty cool option SF doesn't offer!

Do you still offer this service? I'd love to have mine changed to UV. I'm too technically inept to do it myself.