Any love for the SL Jr. Lux anymore?

chrome-addict

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my name is Ray and I'm not a flashaholic. I don't really need all my flashlights, I just like them. And just because I catch myself hiding some of my purchases from my wife doesn't mean I have a problem. I can stop any time ...I can! I can! I can!

Anyhow, with that out of the way, I noticed that there is not much mention of the venerable SL Jr. Lux on this forum. This is the light that turned me to the dark side(or should I say bright side:naughty: ). Since then, I have aquired: Coast 1.25W LED-lenser, 3 modded mini-mags, SL Jr. Lux(2nd Gen), ARC AAA-P, and L1P.

My 3yr old Jr. Lux is still the best light of the bunch. It has as much throw as the L1P, but much whiter light(makes all my LED's look yellow) and superior spill. It's my most used light and I've had 0 issues with it. I can't find any 2AA light/mod that outperforms it. Am I the only fan, do others share my love, or do I just have a freak light(LED Lottery)?

VWTim

Enlightened
I picked up a 1st gen Lux jr. a few months back. Seems like a really nice light. It's going to get loaded with Lithiums and do glovebox duty.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first gen is still kicking despite being banged, dropped/etc from working on cars.

jarobi

Enlightened
Lotsa wubbins here. It's our favorite household beater (Gen 2). Plus, I bought one for my brother-in-law who's a plumber. He was taken aback with love for the light on the job after using stock minimags for years. It really is a good light, very white too. I'd jump all over a 1AA version.

Last edited:

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened
I have a tender spot for mine- It's nearly as bright as my L2P, and has a very nice flood of light. I wish it could do a candlestand, I'd give it a 9.5!

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
I have no problem with flashlights, either. I could stop buying them if I wanted to; I just don't want to. Though I have many others, my SL Jr Lux is the one that sits next to my computer and it's the one I reach for first. I always thought it was just my Luxeon lottery luck, too, but it's got a really nice beam shape and color.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a blue/green (Y0?) cyan tinted white. Not really my fav color tint, but it's just a work light so it doesn't bother me most of the time. It does screw up color rendition on certain fluids when inspecting things, but I'm too lazy to swap out the luxeon. I did at one time put lots of green glow paint on the metal collar that holds the led/guts in. So when you turn it off the optic glows pretty bright. I use amondotech titanium 2600mah NiMH and runtime is very nice now.

maxilux

Enlightened
Pretty good light, but in my opinion not up to date.
When you compare it to the Triton light it is out.

cy

Flashaholic
my love died when the SL jr that I sold to my buddy at cost died. naturally I took it back and gave him a new Fenix and ate the cost.

LouRoy

Enlightened
cy said:
my love died when the SL jr that I sold to my buddy at cost died. naturally I took it back and gave him a new Fenix and ate the cost.

Streamlight has a lifetime warranty. Send it back to them.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I just loved mine and miss it, having sold it awhile back. I think it's the best gift light that CPFers can buy. Very sexy and solid, impressive to non flashaholics. For $10 more, the Fenix L2P is sightly brigher with a flatter discharge curve. Yet, I do miss that form factor of the Streamlight.

Vbeez

Enlightened
I have a first gen with recharge batts, just nice. Only the switch need more attention. Very nice light for domestic use.

jarobi

Enlightened
The thing I like about the light as far as gift giving goes is it's an easy transition to make for the Joe Sixpack that has always used dollar store lights and such. It has a familiar look and feel to it. I don't tell the recipient what I paid for it, and (s)he continues to be incredulous as to why I'd spend $XXX for a weird looking flashlight (L1, QIII, etc). If one breaks on me (hasn't yet, crosses fingers) I take it back to the dealer, he replaces it and hashes it out with Streamlight, Inc.

cy

Flashaholic
LouRoy said:
Streamlight has a lifetime warranty. Send it back to them.
ya , I could go to all the trouble of getting a RA# , then sent it back.

then would not know what to do with it. can't sell it knowing it's a piece of cr*p.. got the same problem with those 3x AA to D batt holders. got several of those that are a pita... can't sell those either... garbage

jarobi

Enlightened
Vbeez said:
I have a first gen with recharge batts, just nice. Only the switch need more attention. Very nice light for domestic use.

Do the first generation models have a plastic threaded tailcap switch, or aluminum?

faco

Enlightened
I had a 1st gen Jr, my brother has it now and loves it. He can't understand why I keep buying SF lights etc when the Jr is just perfect..........

"jarobi" the 1st gen Jr has an aluminum threaded tailcap switch, not plastic