Redefining "Flashlight as a weapon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basic rule for guns #1, never point a gun at somebody unless you plan on shooting them. Light end of this faces forwards, gun end faces rear, towards owner. Hmmm.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
These were made by Ares Defense Systems. They have not been made for at least 5 years. Originally they were sold under a BATF permit much like an automatic weapon. Very few were produced.

One obvious potential problem was removing the pin and shooting yourself at point blank range. I do like the concept though.

This would not be a very difficult thing to make for someone with a decent small machining center.

Group buy anyone?

Mark

carrot

Flashaholic
I was in the midst of designing a Minimag that doubled as a weapon... you turn it on like you normally would and it would spew FIRE from the bezel. Design was coming along really well, except for two problems-- what if it turns itself on in your pocket, and would you be able to hold onto the light given the amount of fire and gas it'd spew out?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I was in the midst of designing a Minimag that doubled as a weapon... you turn it on like you normally would and it would spew FIRE from the bezel. Design was coming along really well, except for two problems-- what if it turns itself on in your pocket, and would you be able to hold onto the light given the amount of fire and gas it'd spew out?

I think we've already got a few lights like this judging from the threads on CR123 venting I've seen. :green:

-LT

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would qualify as an AOW. Hard to buy without the paperwork and tax stamp. But man, I'd never want a gun that's carried pointing at _me_!

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Razor, I would just like to thank you for the sudden burst of nostalgia your avatar and name have given me.

mykall

Enlightened
Looks like some Virginia Tech engineering student(Blacksburg) hoped to go the way of self employment after graduation. I wonder how the field testing went :).

MB

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I remember those things! What a completely horrible idea. Almost as bad as the knife with the .22 in the handle. At least it pointed away from the user in most grips.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
My biggest concern - aside from the basics of accidentaly getting shot by the thing :ohgeez:- is, if one were to successfully fire it, wouldn't the kickback break a few wrists? I've never shot a shotgun before, but I'm guessing the full size gun has a stock that rests against the shoulder for a reason, not to mention having a lot more mass. Those criteria, and Newton's third law being what it is, I'd guess the power of discharging a shell from something with so little mass is going to do the user some injury as well.

AlexSchira said:
Razor, I would just like to thank you for the sudden burst of nostalgia your avatar and name have given me.

Haha, you bet! I loved the Swat Kats. It was my favorite cartoon. Too bad they only made two seasons of it, before the TV big wigs pulled it for being "too violent". It's a walk in the park compared to some of the stuff on air today.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Razor said:
My biggest concern - aside from the basics of accidentaly getting shot by the thing is, if one were to successfully fire it, wouldn't the kickback break a few wrists? I've never shot a shotgun before, but I'm guessing the full size gun has a stock that rests against the shoulder for a reason, not to mention having a lot more mass. Those criteria, and Newton's third law being what it is, I'd guess the power of discharging a shell from something with so little mass is going to do the user some injury as well.

.410 guage should be quite manageable. I guess it would have been fired with two hands. Might be a little tough on the lamp filament.

I think the other obvious problems outweighed the recoil issue. Imagine a high stress situation combined with the natural tendency to light up what you are shooting. An interesting, but very dangerous design.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts