How can i clean a dirty reflector

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened
My flashlight reflector have some dust and fingerprint, how can i clean it? (water? alcohol?)

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
dip the reflector in warm soapy water, swirl the water, air dry/blow dry - do not touch the reflector with anything!

coucoujojo

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
dip the reflector in warm soapy water, swirl the water, air dry/blow dry - do not touch the reflector with anything!

It works good with soapy water?
I don't want to kill my reflector.

Robban

Enlightened
I just tried the soap swirly thing with my Mag85 reflector. Didn't help at all. Guess the mess that a blown bulb leaves doesn't surrender that easily :p I tried whiping it down with a cloth, worked fine. Not that I'm saying anyone should try that though ;)

roguesw

Enlightened
the first post was for finger print mark, so there is finger oil on teh reflector,
if u use diswashing liquid that lifts off oils, maybe that might help
leave the reflector in overnight?
robban, when the bulb blew, did it leave pit marks in the reflector?

Robban

Enlightened
roguesw said:
the first post was for finger print mark, so there is finger oil on teh reflector,
if u use diswashing liquid that lifts off oils, maybe that might help
leave the reflector in overnight?
robban, when the bulb blew, did it leave pit marks in the reflector?
A couple of very small dings, nothing serious. The film that was left after all the magic smoke got out was what I was trying to get rid of. But like I said I could wipe it clean with a cloth (the kind you use on CDs, glasses etc) without issues. Left a yellow-green smudge on the cloth.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these days I'm gonna take one (or more) of the reflectors that I have left over from a minimag that's been converted to LED and try a few "hands off" techniques to see what works beyond just soap & water -- DustOff, alcohol, mineral spirits, etc., etc.

Btw, I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried an ultrasonic cleaner on reflector.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some reflectors can handle quite a bit of rubbing, such as the one in my Surefire E2e, but some will be DRT if you even look at them sideways. I've killed more poorly coated aluminum reflectors than I care to remember.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes one of the advantages of the Surefire P series lamps is you get a new reflector when you change the lamp.