Mag 3D mods using alkalines - options?

bhds

Enlightened
I have a 3d mag that I modded some time ago with Hotbeams hotlips and a direct drive TWAK. Is there any mods that I could do to increase output but still use 3 D alkalines or possibly AA alkalines? Most of the mods seem to involve lithiums or nimh batts.
I'm not looking for a showoff light but one that I could actually use on a regular basis.:)
Could I drive a 5 watt with a boost circuit?

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've setup a 2D mag with my Triplex driver to drive 3X1 watt Luxes and it uses 2 alkaline D's. I haven't had a complete runtime graph done yet, but it runs very well for 2 hours and only down less than 20% in brightness. The current draw is 1.8 Amps, and that's about as high as you can get away with using alk D's.

With a 3D setup, I'm betting you could get pretty fair results with a DD tri-lux setup. The internal resistance of the cells would most likely eliminate the need for a drop resistor. You'd get a much more intense hotspot and more lumens (~135 lumens) with a tri-lux config. at about 3 watts compared to using 5 watts and only getting ~120 lumens with a floody hotspot..eww. Plus if it does drive more than 3 watts, you'd get even more lumens yet!

Last edited:

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
MillerMods, Just a question for clarification. In that tri-Lux DD off of 3D's you speak of would the lux's be wired in parallel? What do you suppose would happen if someone were to use say 3 NiMH in this same light? I expect that to use NiMH in this tri-lux light one would probably be well advised to regulate the current some how. via a resistor or some other regulating circuit.

zwf

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:
MillerMods, Just a question for clarification. In that tri-Lux DD off of 3D's you speak of would the lux's be wired in parallel? What do you suppose would happen if someone were to use say 3 NiMH in this same light? I expect that to use NiMH in this tri-lux light one would probably be well advised to regulate the current some how. via a resistor or some other regulating circuit.

zwf

Yes, NIMH would be a different story. It should be clarified that we should only use alkalines for a project such as this; as the title indicates. I'm not sure how you could run anything else other than parallel and have much in the end. And of course you'd have to use Luxes from the same run and Vf bin.

Last edited:

bhds

Enlightened
MillerMods said:
I've setup a 2D mag with my Triplex driver to drive 3X1 watt Luxes and it uses 2 alkaline D's. I haven't had a complete runtime graph done yet, but it runs very well for 2 hours and only down less than 20% in brightness. The current draw is 1.8 Amps, and that's about as high as you can get away with using alk D's.

With a 3D setup, I'm betting you could get pretty fair results with a DD tri-lux setup. The internal resistance of the cells would most likely eliminate the need for a drop resistor. You'd get a much more intense hotspot and more lumens (~135 lumens) with a tri-lux config. at about 3 watts compared to using 5 watts and only getting ~120 lumens with a floody hotspot..eww. Plus if it does drive more than 3 watts, you'd get even more lumens yet!

Cool! I didnt know you could DD 3 lux III's. Every tri-lux mod I found seemed be using these mega banks of AA's, 123's or pila rechargeables. Would J or K Vf be okay or do I need to go up to a L Vf?

I Just found your thread relating to the triplex driver and D alkalines. Reading up on it now:popcorn:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't do that, running three Leds parallel. After a while it can get problems due to the changing of vf and current increases. I like multiple Led-setups very much (my fav. lights) but the Leds should be connected in series (not possible with your batt.-configuration).
Using 3xAlkys, I would use a Flupic-board with one Cree or SSC. This way you'll get a very bright light with the full potential of the Led and very bright hotspot and you can use nimh's too.

Best regards

____
Tom