Gladius vs. L5

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was very surprised to compare the output of the Gladius vs. an L5... no comparison. If there is better through, I can hardly tell. No comparison in the relative outputs of the two lights. I think the Gladius is great and I am sure that I will like it more and more but right now, I'm thinking that a Lux V in the Gladius would be nice.

I just couldn't believe difference.

-Goatee

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)> said:
I was very surprised to compare the output of the Gladius vs. an L5... no comparison....

-Goatee

I didn't understand from your posting which was a better performer or whether they were equals. Please clarify. Thanks.

seattlite

Enlightened
I was very surprised to compare the output of the Gladius vs. an L5... no comparison. If there is better through, I can hardly tell. No comparison in the relative outputs of the two lights. I think the Gladius is great and I am sure that I will like it more and more but right now, I'm thinking that a Lux V in the Gladius would be nice.

-Goatee

I also have an L5, a Gladius and a light meter. Using the "flashlightreviews.com" milk carton apparatus and light meter setup, I measured 50% more total light output from my L5 with Pila 168s and 2 x CR123's compared with the light output of the Gladius.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Goatee thinks the L5 has creamed the Gladius.

Well, high binned Vs are definitely way ahead in terms of output, probably even vs the K2s.

But I guess the Gladius is still a great light and 80 lumens max is quite a lot of light in most situations already I believe. Of course with an adjustable levels light, the more the merrier since it's selectable.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the confusion. I just couldn't believe how much more output that the L5 had in comparison to the Gladius. I am happy with the Gladius but until I got it, I underappreciated the L5.

Now I can't wait for my U2 to get back!

From the reviews, It appeared that the Gladius was a better performer for "throw" but because of all of the light that the L5 puts out, I cannot tell.

-Goatee

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to get my L5 back from Surefire. They got it yesterday. Hopefully they just throw one of the new style heads on it (checking it for the "hole" and such first) and send it back....

Luna

Enlightened
Sorry for the confusion. I just couldn't believe how much more output that the L5 had in comparison to the Gladius. I am happy with the Gladius but until I got it, I underappreciated the L5.

From the reviews, It appeared that the Gladius was a better performer for "throw" but because of all of the light that the L5 puts out, I cannot tell.

-Goatee

Your U2 may not be appreciably better (if any) than the L5 depending on the lotto. Yes the Lux 5 puts out more than the gladius, it should. I'm still not so sure the Gladius is 80-90lm out the front anyhow... that is a hard bill to fit for a lux3.

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
I would guess my Gladius to put out more like 60 lumens. It's about equal to my U60 when both are on Max. I use the ceiling bounce test. The Gladius has a smaller center spot so it will probably throw a bit further.

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Can't wait to get my L5 back from Surefire. They got it yesterday. Hopefully they just throw one of the new style heads on it (checking it for the "hole" and such first) and send it back....

I really am impressed with the output of the L5. The second one that I got has a smaller donut than the first one but it appears to be tolerable.

Happy Easter!

-Goatee

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
IV GOT BOTH luxxion winners in U-2 and gladius and if you think the u2 will blow it away it wont unless tint is way off what i see is near exact same throw ( both very white) with the u-2 having a VERY nice spill and over all more spill light ,( i dont know the l5) but the gladius is more then just light , its a way of using your light in a way that is so easy and natural that it makes the u-2 seeme like a pain, the features make up its limitatations . however i want a 5w gladius,

the abilaty to use very low lumenes is more important the you(me)then you may think untill you have that ability...my.02c

-Goatee

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be taking the Gladius on a 4 day hiking trip in the Smokey Mountains next month. I agree that the low output will be very helpful. I hope to have my Surefire U2 back in time to bring it also to determine which I prefer.

I am growing to like the light more and more but I would also like to see it in a 5 watt version.

I remember reading posts by Luna before where he indicated that the U2 put out much more light but that more and more, he carried the Gladius. I am beginning to see why.

Happy Easter!

-Goatee